Happy 4th, Pheasant should be the National Bird

oldandnew

With all it's celebration, lights, and noise, the pheasant should be our national bird. He is sure colorful enough to create a great a stir, came here like us from "across the pond", makes a lot of noise, and is feisty enough to put up a fight, and believes he is never wrong! If he was our national bird, I bet we could make allowances in habitat to support him better, including more fireworks about 4 months later!

the only problem is that they would want to preserve it and make it unlawful to hunt, shoot ,capture or otherwise bring warm to our national symbol of liberty and freedom.

With all it's celebration, lights, and noise, the pheasant should be our national bird. He is sure colorful enough to create a great a stir, came here like us from "across the pond", makes a lot of noise, and is feisty enough to put up a fight, and believes he is never wrong! If he was our national bird, I bet we could make allowances in habitat to support him better, including more fireworks about 4 months later!

I like it!!:thumbsup:

I suppose those ringnecks at this point are true Americans!:D

national bird

ol' Ben wanted the turkey as our symbol but got out voted a couple hundred years ago, at least our turkey wasn't an import

cheers

Bald Eagles are nothing more then BUZZARDS with feathers on the head.
Scavenger, scrounger, carrion eater always wanting a free handout. :eek:

The Ring Neck Pheasant now, What a bird. :10sign:

At least like the turkey, the pheasant provides substance from hunger during trying times. Who's going to eat a dandified buzzard! Besides which, the pheasants are survivors, make do with what they have, all worthwhile American virtues. As far as being from China.....well we would not have a transcontinental railway with out Chinese workers, a lot of whom were left on the path. We abuse them....possibly we are abused now....a political circle jerk. But the pheasant by now, if we use our National identity, is as much an American, as the same Irishmen, Italians, German's, Frenchmen, and all others who came here settled and made a life! The Germans dip a fir branch in blood and wear it in there hat....a sign of courteous reverence. Reverence to our game, the very source of it, seems like a good cause.

I am all for supporting the traditionally native upland species (grouse, chickens and quail), but ...

"Chinese" ringneck pheasants while imports and not native are now part of the ecosystem and have been for a long time ...

This years wild pheasants are how many generations ago from imported stock? 50 or more ? Maybe some are approaching 100th generation American born ?

Unless you are 100% "native" american, most of you posting on this site are also desendants from immigrants. Likely far less generations too. ;) I do not consider myself exotic. ;) and while not "native", I do consider myself American.

Last edited:
Back