Habitat stamp Required

hunter94

SD now has a habitat stamp requirement......$10 for residents, $25 for non residents.

i doubt we will see an increase of better ground for a couple years or so......would be nice if they posted the additions, if there are any?

I thought about buying one before 7/1, but will probably hunt more than 2 - 5 day periods anyway.
I hope in the future, we can see this benefit the pheasants.

looks like a bigger chunk for NR to shoulder......no surprise here.
giving the state a hundred plus dollars 4 months before season doesn't make much sense to me.......Iowa looking better now.

giving the state a hundred plus dollars 4 months before season doesn't make much sense to me.......Iowa looking better now.

it's earning nothing in my checking account...I like the idea of already having my licenses, so no matter what, I'm going hunting! And if SD GFP drives hunters to other states, fine by me...ND did also institute a $22 add-on this year as well...good for the whole season, like SD's habitat stamp...I will be hunting MT more this season as well...love their full-season license...

That $100+ sitting in a checking account earning approx. 0.25% for 4 months would yield you about 10 cents. But buying it now, if you're a non-resident, would save you $25. Now that makes some sense to me.

I'm a resident and bought my license today and saved $10. Whoopie!

Why would a serious pheasant hunter
Look for a way to avoid buying that stamp which I assume the money goes towards habitat?
Good point. I plead guilty?

it's a revenue generator that is more palatable to the public than just raising the cost of the license...again...after all, who can argue with habitat? They're canceling the brood count survey and directing that $700,000 savings to habitat, I believe they said...(edit: advertising, thanks for catching that, 5 stand)...if you told me this stamp would fund the brood count survey, I'd buy two!!! license sales have been down, and will be down again this year more than likely, especially NR licenses due to covid issues. Wasn't that long ago SD had over 100k NR hunters...just 10 years ago...the past few years it is under 70k....selling 30k fewer NR licenses is a difference of over 3.6 million dollars...just in license fees, not to mention everything else they spend $ on...

Last edited:
And, they know that there are numbskulls like me out there who will rush to spend $129 now to avoid the $25 stamp, and for whatever reason will not make it to SD this season...random stuff happens...they probably ran the #’s and realized that they come out ahead by allowing this little “bargain” scenario...😆they are the ones who kind of promoted the 7/1 deadline...

Last edited:
Raising prices doesn’t always result in more total revenue...that $25 will cause some folks to flip GFP the bird and go elsewhere, or not at all. All my comments thus far are the result of being overly stimulated by much caffeine...here’s one thought that I sincerely believe is a good idea: let kids hunt for free...until 16, 18, whatever. The future customers are declining in #’s at a fairly rapid rate. Give Dad or granddad or the kid him or herself every reason to go afield! Not saying it’s a big cost at the moment, but it should be a priority. Wisconsin allows anybody to fish without a license one Saturday every June...brilliant!!!!!🤩👍

They're canceling the brood count survey and directing that $700,000 savings to habitat, I believe they said..
This is interesting, I thought the 700,000 was going towards advertising?

Does it ready matter? They say the revenues are for habitat, so now they don't/won't need to divert funds for elsewhere. I would put more trust in PF with my dollars to see hatitat results.

I’m always a bit skeptical that the government is on the right track by simply raising prices in some manner...this one sounds good, feels good, very well may be a great idea...if so, why now? And not 10+ years ago when CRP was being converted back to farmland...they knew well in advance what was gonna happen...

Last edited:
If the money goes to adding new habitat and more places for people to hunt. I think I it is a great idea and very much needed. However always a little worried when we trust the government with out money as it seems to get "redirected". I am hopeful this wont be the case and we will see some improvements in SD.

the problem is, if you read the explanation by gfp, this is NOT purely for pheasants! It is broad based, including fishing access...sure, it can't hurt, and it's only the cost of a case of beer, but I am not expecting much...it appears to me that they are trying to close the $6,000,000 budget shortfall that the division of wildlife is running...another easy decision to cancel the brood count, and have save 700k right there...

reading the gfp literature further, they segregate the funds raised between hunting and fishing and use the $ accordingly...

Last edited:
Back