Gun Shy

rugardave

Hi everyone,
Here's a new problem I have. I have labs and last year we took the 12 month old to hunt w/ the older lab. Didn't show any interest which I expected. Put him away for 1 year. This year took him to a trainer to introduce him to birds and the shot. He calls me back a week later and says the dog messed up. Hunts birds but when they flush he turns and runs back to the truck.. Did the several times but always acted birdy and went right to the bird. Flush and run. He gave me several suggestions, what does anyone else have to say. The dog is a 24 month old yellow lab out of waterfowl champion bloodline, master hunter etc., both parents. Runs like a tornado. Thanks for your help. Dave

What did you start out with? Pigeons? This is why confidence is best built up slowly, ( Not on pheasants).This is a perfect example of things I have talked about several times.
I would go back to square 1. Using pigeons and just tossing locked wing birds for retrieves. Then clip wings, then 1/4 him and let him find and retrieve the same for a few weeks. Then a bunch of "sucker birds". These are pigeons where you pluck the main flight feathers so the bird can still flush, but only gets a few feet off the ground then comes back down after 50 yards or so. It realy pumps the dog up and gets them chasing good. Once he is chasing good for a few weeks you then intro the gun and in a certain way.

Dear FCSpringer, Thanks, The trainer started w/ all that. First wings, then dead birds, then clipped wings etc. No problem until the blank pistol. Same thing happened every time the shot was introduce. I'm going to get a bunch or thing s to throw and a cap pistol to slowly aclimate the dog to the shot. This is the fourth dog I've had and the first to have this problem. Weird. He has not heard any gunfire for over 1 year.

Only sure cure is the chain gang with a professional trainer. Takes time and somebody who knows how. I have seen it done many times, and had two impeccably bred field trial pointers, that were as bad as you can imagine, both completely cured and went on to be winners themselves. I do believe there is a sensitivy gene in certain strains which make a dog succeptable, seems to occur somehwere between 6 months and 1 1/2 years old. chain gang works like this, briefly, you need 6-15 dogs and a working area where the cover is low and all dogs on the chain gang can watch the proceedings. Some dogs in the mix are harded veterans, some young and green, some so petrified of even seeing a gun or a bird, they try to dig a hole, or strain to get away. Each dog is worked once, a pigeon is used, dog points and or flushes, gun fired, dog praised, good, bad, or indifferent. Next dog, same routine, etc. All dogs watch and learn from the experienced dogs, BUT it takes time! and consistency. It is very difficult to do at home because you lack the dog numbers, facilities, etc. I have not had it done in years, thankfully, but cost at that time about $500.00 for sixty days, and it took almost that long. By the end my dogs were the ones straining to get at the bird, and showing the shy dogs what to do. Good Luck

I just reread your original post. Above applies, but not that trainer! Pick another who specializes in fixing gunshy. Try the American Field for a source in your area. The current trainer may have inadvertantly caused the problem, in any case, the dog has no confidence in the trainer. The trainer has indicated he does not know how to handle it. Find a guy(gal), who can establish a rapport with the dog and instill confidence. The dog associates the current guy, and his facilities with negatives.

What did you start out with? Pigeons? This is why confidence is best built up slowly, ( Not on pheasants).This is a perfect example of things I have talked about several times.
I would go back to square 1. Using pigeons and just tossing locked wing birds for retrieves. Then clip wings, then 1/4 him and let him find and retrieve the same for a few weeks. Then a bunch of "sucker birds". These are pigeons where you pluck the main flight feathers so the bird can still flush, but only gets a few feet off the ground then comes back down after 50 yards or so. It realy pumps the dog up and gets them chasing good. Once he is chasing good for a few weeks you then intro the gun and in a certain way.

Absolutely right on. This is always the preferred way to introduce young dogs to the gun or for dogs who have become somewhat shy. They associate the report of the gun with a bird and it works very well.

This year took him to a trainer to introduce him to birds and the shot. He calls me back a week later and says the dog messed up.

With all do respect, your "trainer" is full of CHITE! The dog didn't mess up, he did. Dog's aren't born gun shy, it is created. And he created a HUGE problem for you.

Of course, this is assuming that you had not fired a gun over the dog prior to the trainer and the dog wasn't gun shy when you dropped him off.

What I did...

Cassidy was a yr and a half when I got her - she was gun shy do to the fireworks that went off in her mouth before I got her....

What I did...

Once she was comfortable with me, and the truck... I left her in the truck, comfortable setting... and went out and shot trap with the truck and dog inside we were about 20 yards from the vehicle.. were she could see us..

Shot a few rounds- went and provided support and comfort... shot a few more.. repeated the attention... shot some more... repeated until we were finished.

Then, at another time, we headed back out and flushed birds.. any bird.. a shot in the air... and comforted her.. it didn't take but a few times and she was ok with it...

Then went back to where she could get the rush of the flush.. once the birds started flushing, she forgot about the shots.. and went to the retrieve...

Now, years later you would never know she had the issue... best hunter of the bunch... once she is on point, it is serious for her.. and the flush, the shots, and retrieve is natural... they go together.... She is disappointed if I miss...

Occasionally, she will point, a flush, a miss.... I look at her and she is still hard on point on the 2nd bird that didn't leave with the first.. flush , boom retrieve... She actually gets excited if another person in the party takes a shot and takes off to get the downed bird... the shot is the attention getter for sure..

but, the fireworks still freaks her out... so, she now knows the difference between the two.. one is fun for her

Not saying that this is a standard training technique, but getting her used to the shot and the reward that followed turned her around.

Goatman

With all do respect, your "trainer" is full of CHITE! The dog didn't mess up, he did. Dog's aren't born gun shy, it is created. And he created a HUGE problem for you.

Of course, this is assuming that you had not fired a gun over the dog prior to the trainer and the dog wasn't gun shy when you dropped him off.

Right on:thumbsup:

Back