Gun dog training help and land use needed

littlewisky81

I have a brand new GSP pup coming at the end of March. I would be interested in looking for someone (or a small group) to use their land for some dog training this summer.

I'm hoping to use him in October for an annual pheasant hunt, and would like to get him acclimated to gun fire as much as I can, aside from hanging out every weekend at the local gun club. I would also be open to having someone mentor me, as this is my first gun dog.

I'd rather try and train the dog myself, and save the money from sending it to a trainer, but am worried about having another 80 lap dog (have a gunshy 80lb Lab at home now).

I live in Cottage Grove, if anyone is open to co-training pups together, or letting me use land for gun training.

Suggestion: contact the nearest game farm/preserve and ask if you could run your dog without your gun. I found it was wonderful practice for the dog, tracking, flushing and staying in range.

Also, I asked if I could scratch hunt, and was given permission. Some of the clubs have chuckers beyond May 1 or may supply you with pigeons.

I visited the preserve 6-8 times when the dog was about a year old - it was great fund and it provided us with a place to work.

Good Luck

Do you know the correct way to expose a young dog to gunfire?
Done correctly I have never seen a gunshy dog.

Do you have a training method that you are going to stick to?
If you don't there are several good ones. I used the book "Training with Mo"

But there are others that are good as well.

As far as gun exposure, the safest way is to do it when the dog is chasing a bird. Starting with a blank gun fired a distance from the dog. You work your way up to louder guns over time. What you are looking for is the dog to act like it didn't hear a thing. I the dog reacts to the sound you are not done yet.

If you have someone it the area to help you this this, that would be good.
Its not hard but kind of like riding a bike, until you have done it, it seems complicated.

It is really the most important step, itf you make the dog gunshy they are not much use hunting.

Setter Nut has offered lots of great advice. THE most import thing to do is to read as much stuff as you can, watch videos...google training tips...search Youtube...before you get your pup....LOTS of great info out there...none of that stuff was available back when I , or alot of others here started...as was stated again by Setter Nut...there are lots of methods of training but it is vitally important that whatever program you choose that you stick to that program and see it through completely.....training a dog is not an overnight affair, or one that is done in a month, 6 months or even a year. ..best suggestion I can offer is join NAVHDA....North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc. go to their website...find a chapter near you...they have monthly training clinics where everyone helps each other with their dogs. Great way for new people to see and learn hands on. Lots of fun and great people. I've worked in the past with members from MN and they are great people...dispite the fact that they have to be half Eskimo to live there..lol. Best of luck to you with your new pup...enjoy every minute of puppyhood because its gone before you know it and most of all have fun

Last edited:
I've sent the last three dogs to a professional, for the "puppy program."

They use live pigeons for two weeks - no obedience, just birds and a long lead. An assistant holds the dog and lead, the trainer throws out the bird.
Bird has clipped wings;that's the game.

Starter pistol is introduced sometime during the bird throw - away from the dog, but in the background and the process progresses from there.

The key: distraction, birds and go slow.

Good Luck!

Those are all great suggestions. Going to look into them this morning. If you have anymore, I'd love to hear them! Also going to look into a few puppy programs. Are there any recommended trainers from you guys?

another way was to shoot a cap gun a couple of times every time the dog is fed.If your less than 40 you might have to google cap guns to figure out what they are,they were red paper rolls than they went to little yellow cups (the caps)

yes,you start in another room and move progressively closer.when that goes well then you can move up to,well, blanks now before it was a .22
ONLY 1 OR 2 SHOTS PER SESSION
than the shotgun later,same drill,something lighter than a 12 ga. would be nice,with distraction as mentioned by others.this may take , i dunno, 4-6 wks

the way NOT to do it is to take a new dog for the first day of dove season and hope all goes well,do NOT do it that way
you might not hunt doves in minn. but i think you'll understand
hope all goes well,nice to see people interested in hunting dog training :thumbsup:

Last edited:
aside from hanging out every weekend at the local gun club.

but am worried about having another 80 lap dog (have a gunshy 80lb Lab at home now).

I concur with Setternut. The association with him trying his darndest to catch that bird and hearing a shot from a distance will bring the two together (report of a gun and bird). Slowly bring the shot closer watching for any negative reaction. It's darn near foolproof if done correctly.

Last edited:
Back