Gun Dog breeder/trainer directory?

birdshooter

To Webguy or anyone else with a thought on the subject.

From time to time you see posts from people looking for a breeder or trainer for their specific breed of choice. What do you think of putting together a breeder and or trainer directory.

I belong to another forum which is basically a gun dog specific forum that has a Gun dog directory. There, members or advertisers who are breeders, trainers etc.. can list their website by state. A really nice part about the feature is that on the breeder directories main page you are given the option of listing breeders by state or listing by breed and it will list all that apply. May take a while to build up a base, but though it might aid anyone looking for a specific breeder or breed in a particular state. Much the same in some respects as your outfitters and hunting directory.

I can give you the link to this specific forum if you wish to see what I'm referring to. In fact I believe I saw FCspringer and his website listed on their directory.

I dunno, do you think there is enough call for such on this board?

Last edited:
To Webguy or anyone else with a thought on the subject.

From time to time you see posts from people looking for a breeder or trainer for their specific breed of choice. What do you think of putting together a breeder and or trainer directory.

I belong to another forum which is basically a gun dog specific forum that has a Gun dog directory. There, members or advertisers who are breeders, trainers etc.. can list their website by state. A really nice part about the feature is that on the breeder directories main page you are given the option of listing breeders by state or listing by breed and it will list all that apply. May take a while to build up a base, but though it might aid anyone looking for a specific breeder or breed in a particular state. Much the same in some respects as your outfitters and hunting directory.

I can give you the link to this specific forum if you wish to see what I'm referring to. In fact I believe I saw FCspringer and his website listed on their directory.

I dunno, do you think there is enough call for such on this board?

Sir. I think that is a great thought!:thumbsup::cheers:

It would be a simple listing. No website required. He has heard the info already and the suggestion. It's more complicated then we think. He has allot going on and it is a big data base requiring server work etc. So it may pop up in the future, but most likely not tomorrow.:D For now there is the breeder ads and also for training so it is basically covered. Any one can put up an ad for there dogs or services

I will definitely do it and I have been planning to. Who will draw up the specs for me on what you the user want's to see?

I've been planning on making it a free service.

I will definitely do it and I have been planning to. Who will draw up the specs for me on what you the user want's to see?

I've been planning on making it a free service.

As a generalization on what to have I might have something where anyone could choose their search by state or by breed. The main page would give you the option to search by either one as well as listing the number of entries in each catagory ala how many entries in each state and how many entries for each breed.

If choosing by state, you are then given a filter down by breed.

If choosing by breed you are given a filter down by state etc..

Now if you wanted to get more detailed info you could also list in the filter down what type of breeding specific (field trial, foot hunting, NAVHDA or whatever specifics one may want to know about the breeders stock)

What about if members could rate or comment about certain breeders as well...or would that create some bad blood?

I know that I have been to a breeder here in Minnesota that ship pups all around the country. If someone physically toured the facilities, I don't think they would ever buy a pup there. I think it may be good to let people know, even if it could somehow be through PMs?

What about if members could rate or comment about certain breeders as well...or would that create some bad blood?

I know that I have been to a breeder here in Minnesota that ship pups all around the country. If someone physically toured the facilities, I don't think they would ever buy a pup there. I think it may be good to let people know, even if it could somehow be through PMs?

Good point and always a tough one. How do you know if someone has a axe to grind? Also, what one people says is a bad facility another person may think it's fine.

Good point and always a tough one. How do you know if someone has a axe to grind? Also, what one people says is a bad facility another person may think it's fine.

That could cause lots of problems. May even border on slander.:(
I know first hand being a biz owner that no matter what you do some people will never be happy..:rolleyes:

I could see where this would lead to possible issues whether legal or otherwise.

One thing any prospective puppy buyer should be aware of and look for is the breeders guarantee. Make sure it is in writing.

Most reputable breeders have health guarantees and the good ones will even allow you your money back if not satisfied for any reason. I know that is what the breeder of my youngest GSP had. They build their reputation on the complete satisfaction of their customers.

I could see where this would lead to possible issues whether legal or otherwise.

One thing any prospective puppy buyer should be aware of and look for is the breeders guarantee. Make sure it is in writing.

Most reputable breeders have health guarantees and the good ones will even allow you your money back if not satisfied for any reason. I know that is what the breeder of my youngest GSP had. They build their reputation on the complete satisfaction of their customers.

Yep we take them and get vet checked before any leave here.

Back