Gun cleaning???

Deweybagger

On another post a few thing were brought up about gun cleaning.

What are you using for cleaners, oils, brushes, bore cleaning, choke tube lube???

Just started shooting an auto in March and every few thousand rounds I soak the piston with simple green then wipe dry. I've yet to clean anything else or oil anything on the gun and it's performing really well. I'll probably break it totally down and clean it all off with simple green then use an air compressor to put a real light coat on fp10 on the inside before hunting kicks off 9/1.

On my pumps I clean them when they get wet or if they feel sticky when working the action.

Simple green is as harsh as I go to clean for the most part.

Non- chlorinated brake cleaner and mobile one synthetic. I won't do the trigger or the stock and receiver with brake cleaner. Trigger I run under hot water, then dowse it and the guts with mobile one. Lastly I wipe all of the excess oil off. Basically dry, just a thin film left on everything.

I use a Cabelas gun cleaning kit. Basically just rods and brushes and cloths and all that... I clean and lightly oil the bore and bolt after a hunt or round of trap. That's about it for regular maintenance.

Before hunting season I like to break out the old toothbrushes and really strip the gun completely down, cleaning out all the gunk. I feel more confident hunting immediately after I have gone through the whole gun like that, knowing that everything is 100% clean and in working order.

Sometimes I'll also give it a more thorough cleaning during hunting season if it has been really dusty and the action looks or feels gritty.

I use a bore snake, gun scrubber spray, and outers oil. Most other oil for me over the years failed me in the cold. I don't use an auto other then my varmint rifle anymore. But used autos for years. I use burned linseed oil on my stock, and any grease on the choke tubes. I like to use the outers spray cleaner/lube in one on the inside of the box on my OU.

wd 40

other than some hunting rifles, all I use are doubles in one form or another and all I use is wd 40, have for decades and seems to work for me, the worse thing you can do for a gun is to leave a coat of oil on it as it collects dirt, guns should be nearly dry. one place to not put wd 40 is in your rifle barrel, it is so tough it takes forever to shoot it out

cheers

Using an old three-piece wooden ramrod with newer copper bristle, swab, and puffball ends; Hoppes cleaner; and Hoppes and Remington oil.

Bore snake, G-96, a few toothbrushes, a wooden rod with cotton cloth swab to lightly oil barrels, some lithium grease for OU hinge points for the day-to-day. A drill-mounted aluminum rod with copper brush and Hoppe's nitro solvent once a year or so if I've been shooting a lot, but I don't get carried away with that.

hoppe's

one smell a guy never forgets, maybe if women put a dab behind their ear, some of them might have had better luck

cheers

Bore Snake and cpl. Clean protect and lubricate. The stuff works very well. Its the only stuff the marines are allowed to use, or was when I was active duty.

Wd-40 Stand for water displacement # 40. It is not a lubricant. It will dry your gun out. It was developed by the DOD for use in aircraft.

Bore Snake and cpl. Clean protect and lubricate. The stuff works very well. Its the only stuff the marines are allowed to use, or was when I was active duty.

Wd-40 Stand for water displacement # 40. It is not a lubricant. It will dry your gun out. It was developed by the DOD for use in aircraft.

true, wd-40 is a water displacement, ever take your gun out in the rain? it also repels water preventing corrosion. in the can it is a low viscosity oil that remains on the surface applied for long periods of time it is an extremely tough coating, actually nowadays has lots of uses but metal protection and lubrication is certainly one of it's major uses. the stuff has been around since the early 50's

cheers

Hoppes #9. A little grease on the pivot points. Occasionally something stronger to get the wad plastic out of the barrel. This is one reason I love the double guns. They seem easier to clean:)

Forgot about Hoppes too. I also use anything made by Hoppes. Them and Outers. Great stuf either one.:thumbsup:

one smell a guy never forgets, maybe if women put a dab behind their ear, some of them might have had better luck

cheers

LOL - good one! Not sure that they're the ones who need any extra luck, but it would surely bring a certain demographic of North American male sniffing around! lol

Gun Scrubber is the best thing to get all the junk out of your gun. I heard a mention of brake cleaner, do not use this if your gun has plastic it will melt it right off and you will be in a world of hurt. For a lubricant I like Rig 2, grease and or oil.

Gun scrubber is essentially nonchlorinated brake cleaner and both have the potential to harm plastics and painted parts. Chlorinated brake cleaner will harm plastic. Best advise is to be carefull with any gun cleaner around stocks plastics and finishes.

I start with Amzoil foaming engine cleaner in the barrels if I am in the field.
I then run a bristle brush , then a patch to get the gunk out, then I re-spray with Amzoil and repeat the brush.
I then use G96 on a patch, , then a dry patch.
the outside parts get G96, then Johnson's paste wax on the stock and outer metal parts.
if I am shooting smokeless I use G96 and a bore snake.:D
DT

Gun scrubber, bore snake and than Rem Oil. Works for me.

I will second the comment about cleaning a O/U. 5-10 min tops and I'm ready to go.

Gun Scrubber, bore snake, green scotch pad, and G96 or other quality gun oil on the action and outside of the barrel. Don't for get your gas ports if you shoot an auto. Also used compressed air to blow out action and trigger. :thumbsup:

Kick'em Up!

Back