Gsp question

bobeyerite

My son Len has a GSP pup going on 1 year. He has quail near his house and he runs the pup on them often. Now for the question. When the pup comes home from his Quail run. He sticks in nose in the water dish sucks some water up his nose and blows it back out his nose. Why is he doing this? First dog I have ever heard that did such a thing.........Bob

Last edited:
My son Len has a GSP pup going on 1 year. He has quail near his house and he runs the pup on them often. Now for the question. When the pup comes home from his Quail run. He sticks in nose in the water dish sucks some water up his nose and blows it back out his nose. Why is he doing this? First dog I have ever heard that did such a thing.........Bob

Not sure, but I don't think it's a GSP thing. I have two and have never seen them do that.

He does this everytime he gets home?

Just a thought. He wouldn't be just eagerly attempting to get a drink and happen to stick his nose all the way in the bowl as well would he? That would explain why he is trying to blow the water out.

My GSP is the direct opposite as he will rest his nose on the edge of the bowl and slurp water up into his mouth. I'm sure it's just an excitement thing as well. Or, just "cause he can"...:)

If we take him out for a run and no birds are encountered. He does not do it. If he finds birds and has a few points he does it. To us it appears his nose is irritated and he is trying to wash out the irritation. But every time he finds birds could his nose be that sensitive? .........Bob

I think maybe it's just a weird coincidence... I've been around plenty of GSP's, and have never seen this. My friend's oldest will at times stick his entire head in the water when getting a drink out of the bucket though.

If his nose is that sensitive to birds my suggestion is to hunt the heck out of him and carry plenty of water...:p

Good luck with him Bob.

Bob,
What kind of conditions (dry, Snow,?) are you running the Gsp in? Is his nose dry? Could it be sometype of spore/ground fungus, that is causing nasal irritation? Please let us know what you find out. :)

Jmac it makes no difference wet or dry or what ever. It happens all the time. Jim sorry it is my son's dog, I'm a Brittany man remember.........Bob

My 3 yr old gsp drinks like that. Only does when she is excited. Sticks her face in up to her eyes, sometimes past her ears. Blows bubbles too.

I think she does it to fill the empty hole between her ears.

My 1yr old doesn't do that.

This is Len, Waggs, you hit my dog right on the head I could not have said it any better. Thanks guys for the input, I do appreciate it..........Len

Back