GSP or Lab?

A lab is going to be far more likely to chill at home. I have shorthairs, but either can be a fine upland gun dog. As for genetics, there's plenty of information on bloodlines via google. Watch youtube videos to see which breed's 'style' suits you. I'd work it from that angle if I were you. Which breed suits you best first, then research genetics. Good luck.

I'm 20 min south of Madison.

As for the dog, in addition to being "birdy", a dog that has high drive, but not so much that it never settles down. "Lines" that work hard, but can relax at home. Although we have 2 Siberian Huskies and that is a hyper breed too.

Do you plan on having this dog for just hunting or are you interested in field trials, hunt tests, etc? The dogs natural range will vary based on its genetics.

I have hunted over GSPs and Pointing Labs. I had a great time with either dog. For me, the lab fit better in my style. Great dog at home, in the blind or in the field. You have to decide what is best for you. Here is some video that I shot at a recent training event. We were working our pointing labs on some upland. I know a lot of people say "Labs don't point". I'll let you decide if these dogs point or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEDOggwmbI0

Back