GSP or Lab?

TheMorningRise

We will be looking for a new pup early next year and I have it narrowed down to either a GSP or a Lab.

Growing up, I always loved Labs. As a waterfowl hunter, that love, admiration and appreciation only grew. I LOVE Labs! However, after Quail hunting in Arizona with a few guys who ran GSP's, I grew to really like them as well. Now, as the time is approaching for an upland dog, I am actually leaning towards a GSP.

To me, a Lab is a waterfowl dog. I have a really hard time looking at a Lab as a "Pointing" breed. I have talked to folks who have run "Pointing Labs" and they really like them. I am also seeing more and more breeders of "Pointing Labs". However, again, I just do not see a Lab at an upland dog.

What are your thoughts?

Also, any breeder recommendations for either dog near southern Wisconsin, SE Minnesota or eastern Iowa?

labs do it all......but they are flushing dogs.........the GSP is a nice pointing breed, but are not strong water dogs, especially in cold weather, they are not usually content to sit, they are search and point dogs who love to run and are fun to watch....nothing like shooting a pointed bird...that's all i can tell ya.

TMR...

See some pointing labs before you make a definitive judgement. If you love 'em, you love 'em.

Some truly expert upland game hunters extol the virtues of pointing labs.

Then check your breeders, and their dogs' breeding...

then...

find out who is going to be your best friend for the next decade and more.

Best wishes.

Kind of depends on what type of cover and weather you will be running your dog if you ask me. Have friends that use GSP, personally I own a pointing lab, and they tend to not handle cold weather and very heavy cover well. Before you GSP guys get angry there are always exceptions. Just speaking from my personal experiences. A lab can handle all that and keep going. So to me, that would be the question I would be asking myself.

Would be hitting mostly ag fields and CRP. I do not foresee hunting in very thick cover. I'm not saying I won't, I just do not see it at this time.

Can anyone recommend a few breeders in the Midwest or upper Midwest?

I will go easy:)

There are many Labs on this site that might change your mind. Many people's Idea of a upland Lab is of one that is overweight and meanders around the field and bumps into a bird occasionally. Then he might bring it back to you. I am not going to try to talk you into one frankly I don't care what you do. But I will tell you that a good lab is hard to beat in the pheasant field. I have had the joy of owning one for the last 6 years. I have never had a dog with this kind of drive, he would literally kill himself to get to a bird. Whatever you decide to do buy the best pup you can afford, with any luck you will have a dog that brings you years of enjoyment.

Kind of depends on what type of cover and weather you will be running your dog if you ask me. Have friends that use GSP, personally I own a pointing lab, and they tend to not handle cold weather and very heavy cover well. Before you GSP guys get angry there are always exceptions. Just speaking from my personal experiences. A lab can handle all that and keep going. So to me, that would be the question I would be asking myself.

Say it isn't so........:D

Wasn't trying to upset the Lab folks. Again, I love them. But, my field experience with them is in a Goose field or Duck blind. I've never seen one work as an upland dog. I am completely open to either and quite honestly, I'd rather have a lab, as I am more familiar with them.

Wasn't trying to upset the Lab folks. Again, I love them. But, my field experience with them is in a Goose field or Duck blind. I've never seen one work as an upland dog. I am completely open to either and quite honestly, I'd rather have a lab, as I am more familiar with them.

Then get a lab!

I've seen both, labs that can't hunt a lick in the uplands and labs that work hard and make fantastic flushing dogs. The most consistent differences, training and conditioning.

No dog can fully develop without training, and every dog will struggle if out of shape.

You mentioned Arizona, but also the Midwest, so I'm not sure where you plan to hunt the most, but labs are generally more cold tolerate and GSPs generally do better in the heat (by comparison).

But ultimately its up to you, how you want to hunt, where you'll hunt, what you hunt, and your preferences.

We will be looking for a new pup early next year and I have it narrowed down to either a GSP or a Lab.

Growing up, I always loved Labs. As a waterfowl hunter, that love, admiration and appreciation only grew. I LOVE Labs! However, after Quail hunting in Arizona with a few guys who ran GSP's, I grew to really like them as well. Now, as the time is approaching for an upland dog, I am actually leaning towards a GSP.

To me, a Lab is a waterfowl dog. I have a really hard time looking at a Lab as a "Pointing" breed. I have talked to folks who have run "Pointing Labs" and they really like them. I am also seeing more and more breeders of "Pointing Labs". However, again, I just do not see a Lab at an upland dog.

What are your thoughts?

Also, any breeder recommendations for either dog near southern Wisconsin, SE Minnesota or eastern Iowa?

If you can't "SEE" a lab as an upland dog then you are probably blind! Holzinger Kennels is as good as it gets as far as pointing labs. Anything as closely bred to GMPR MHR Rik's Risky Raider SH MH is as good as it gets. Oh by the way, the 2001 US Open Pheasant Hunting Championship.

Last edited:
If you can't "SEE" a lab as an upland dog then you are probably blind! Holzinger Kennels is as good as it gets as far as pointing labs. Anything as closely bred to GMPR MHR Rik's Risky Raider SH MH is as good as it gets. Oh by the way, the 2001 US Open Pheasant Hunting Championship.

Again, not to be an @zz, but the reason I have not "seen" a Lab as an upland dog is because I have never seen one work in person!

Looking at what I have been exposed to, as well as tradition, a Lab is for Waterfowl, a GSP/Brittany/Setter/etc. are for upland. I never said a Lab can not do it, or shouldn't do it. I said I don't see it, because, well, I have never seen it.

Again, not to be an @zz, but the reason I have not "seen" a Lab as an upland dog is because I have never seen one work in person!

Looking at what I have been exposed to, as well as tradition, a Lab is for Waterfowl, a GSP/Brittany/Setter/etc. are for upland. I never said a Lab can not do it, or shouldn't do it. I said I don't see it, because, well, I have never seen it.

So what do you want from this post then? We have told you that Labradors are some of the best upland hunters you can own. Sounds like you don't want to believe it or that your past experiences have already formed your opinion.

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Huntin...es/RetrievervsPointers/tabid/467/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Boy, TheMorning Rise, you're really getting the business here, poor fella. All you wanted was a little guidance, right. ;)

Boy, TheMorning Rise, you're really getting the business here, poor fella. All you wanted was a little guidance, right. ;)

Pretty much!

I have stated that I am open to either. I have not bad mouthed either breed or their abilities. All I did was state that my "vision", "experience", "perception", etc., was that Labs were waterfowl dogs and GPS's were upland dogs.

Was looking for a little insight, that was all.

I'm not sure anyone ever answered your question. Most of the guys on here are running pointing labs as flushers. I run Chesapeakes of all things. On my 3rd one and they've all done just fine. The middle one was maybe a little stocky for multiple day hunts. Retrievers or spanials or pointers it comes down to functional confirmation and experience.

Nothing beats my chihuahua...she gets under the lowest branches and

gets em out of there.

Seriously....my niece uses both as they love the flushing ability of her lab and pointing of her spaniel.

Like most guys say I think it depends on how skilled the trainer was and the natural ability of the dog....Either will give

you pleasure in their own way

Last edited:
He asked for our thoughts and we gave them to him! That was his question. I don't know why he would even consider a Labrador after he stated that to him a lab is a waterfowl dog and that after hunting with gsp's in Arizona he was leaning that way. He can buy whatever he wants. If he wants a one dimensional dog then by all means get a GSP. If he wants a dual purpose dog then he may have to get over his perceived perception of Labradors. Goldens and Chesapeakes also make great dual purpose dogs as well as a springer. All would be better choices over a GSP for me and my hunting preferences.

I also provided a link for him so he could get a different opinion from other sources besides this forum. Doubt he clicked on it.

Last edited:
He asked for our thoughts and we gave them to him! That was his question. I don't know why he would even consider a Labrador after he stated that to him a lab is a waterfowl dog and that after hunting with gsp's in Arizona he was leaning that way. He can buy whatever he wants. If he wants a one dimensional dog then by all means get a GSP. If he wants a dual purpose dog then he may have to get over his perceived perception of Labradors. Goldens and Chesapeakes also make great dual purpose dogs as well as a springer. All would be better choices over a GSP for me and my hunting preferences.

I also provided a link for him so he could get a different opinion from other sources besides this forum. Doubt he clicked on it.

Avoiding potential conflict. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back