GSP dog food.

birdman652001

I will be bringing home a new female pup prob toward end of aug.

any of you that have GSPs (german shorthaired pointers) know whats a good brand? so far ive heard to use Science Diet dog food/puppy food.

any suggestions?

I use Purina Pro Plan Puppy on my shorthair pups! Its a little pricy but its a very good dog food! They have what is called "Opti Start" which contains DHA, a nutrient also found in mothers' milk, for proper brain and vision development.

When they become adults I then switch them to the adult Pro Plan food for Performance Dogs! (Its the one with the shorthair right on the bag!)

Performance Formula
FOR HARDWORKING AND HIGHLY ACTIVE DOGS OF ALL LIFE STAGES

Real Chicken is the #1 ingredient
Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, including EPA and DHA
Contains natural sources of glucosamine for joint health and mobility
Supports increased endurance and lean muscle mass

I know I have a Brittany pup, But I agree with Kansas Brittany. I have had Gunne on it since I got him. That is what the breeder was feeding and I just stayed with it. He is doing very very well. Good Luck with the new pup, hope you can handle that "little ball of fire"........Bob

I will be bringing home a new female pup prob toward end of aug.

any of you that have GSPs (german shorthaired pointers) know whats a good brand? so far ive heard to use Science Diet dog food/puppy food.

any suggestions?

I think you can do better than Science Diet for the money. Can't go wrong with ProPlan or there are a lot of other very good foods out there. Expect to pay about $1 per pound for a good quality dog food. Personally, I'm currently feeding NutriSource and am quite happy with it. But a lot of breeders and trainers feed ProPlan. Sometimes certain dogs do better on one brand than another and you may have to try a couple.

There have been several previous discussions on dog food on this site so it you look around you should be able to find them. They should be under the Main Bird Dog Forum.

Here's a site which gives good and unbiased reviews of just about every dog food on the market. If you look through it, you'll see that some of the big name/expensive foods are not so good, and some of the less expensive foods are very good. Sort of a Consumer Reports on dog food.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

We're using Costco's Kirkland brand on the advise of the breeder. It's well rated and inexpensive.

i have been useing native brand ,sometimes it can be hard to find and is not cheap,
my 5 mo old gsp likes it now and is growing like a weed....

I think you can do better than Science Diet for the money. Can't go wrong with ProPlan or there are a lot of other very good foods out there. Expect to pay about $1 per pound for a good quality dog food. Personally, I'm currently feeding NutriSource and am quite happy with it. But a lot of breeders and trainers feed ProPlan. Sometimes certain dogs do better on one brand than another and you may have to try a couple.

There have been several previous discussions on dog food on this site so it you look around you should be able to find them. They should be under the Main Bird Dog Forum.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_...at=title&name=&when=0&whenterm=&dist=&radius=

My personal opinion is that these places that post these dog food analysis are worth the paper they are printed on. If you look at them all the foods on top are either natural or organic. Not that there is anything wrong with them but they rate some very good dog foods, that are time proven, very low.

Bottom line, feed a quality food that won't break the bank and works for your dog!

Well they slipped a slider by me. :D

The Wellness Puppy does have some grain but the Core (which I feed my 18mo) does not. I was using Orijen but Trap wasn't digesting all of it and his stools were rank.

Note: If you use a food that has fish meal see that its not preserved with ethoxyquin, which many are. It has to state the ingredients are E free. Foods like Natural Balance don't list E but its in the meal they buy. Also stay away from preservatives like BHA & BHT.

thanks for the inputs.. i'll probably start on Purina pro plan as i see theres alot of good stuff about it. Science Diet came across bc its what alot of hunters around here use for their labs... thought maybe its good for shorthairs too.

Bottom line, feed a quality food that won't break the bank and works for your dog!

I agree with you, that's why we feed Kirkland. However, if you don't believe published data, how do you know what is quality? Advertising?

word of mouth and proven results are the best advertisement any product can get ask your buddies what they are feeding and then look at their dogs to see how it makes them look

I agree with you, that's why we feed Kirkland. However, if you don't believe published data, how do you know what is quality? Advertising?

I'm sorry I just have a tough time buying into those web sites that rate dog foods. I wonder if the people that write them even have a dog. But haven't you noticed that in everyone of them the highest rated foods are all natural or organic?

So how do I know what quality is? I believe that if you get the opinions of breeders, trainers and long time dog owners on what has worked for them you can get a pretty good idea of what works. There are a lot of trial dogs on ProPlan and they sure seem to be in terrific condition. Problem today is that there are a million difference dogs foods on the market. Some good and some not so good. Just stay away from the cheap stuff. Nothing wrong with Science Diet either. My buddy that's a vet fed it for many years to his hunting dogs before switching to ProPlan.

This is just one of those questions that if you ask 100 guys you might get 100 different answers. And none may be wrong! :)

I have a buddy that feeds ol roy high pro and while we all know it is inferior food his dogs actually do very well and get fat off of it not my choice but it works for him

I have a buddy that feeds ol roy high pro and while we all know it is inferior food his dogs actually do very well and get fat off of it not my choice but it works for him

Tell him to find a new food. Our local Humane Society even refuses to accept Ol' Roy. I don't know of a worse dog food. It is truly the bottom of the barrel.

yea i know its nothing but saw dust but like I said it works for his dogs and he runs the same trials as me and hunts day in and day out during the season and they never seem to slow down

I started my adult (8yr) GSP on a new food last week. The brand is 4Health and the pup is enjoying it. His stools seem a bit looser but that seems normal for him when his diet changes. He does not leave anything behind and dives right in when it is put in front of him.

The brand did not show up on the one analysis website but another gave it 4 stars out of 5.

I found it at Tractor Supply and the price was reasonable.

I am using the performance blend at this time.

Here the link to the details on this food.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/4health-dog-food-dry/

Back