Group hunting etiquette? Unwritten rules?

I’ve always been under the impression that party hunting was ok here in Iowa. I see that it is allowed for deer hunting. I figure as others have said, some days they flush in front of you and some days not so much. Dave

After I wrote that I looked in the regulations and couldn’t find anything. Maybe you’re right. Might just be a tradition we’ve had.

My favorite type of cover is a large CRP field. The larger the better. Never could figure out why people think one guy can't hunt a huge field. I kill 50 plus roosters every year and most of that is in large CRP Fields. Some guys may not like to walk that much but I like to get in at least 10 miles on each day I hunt.
10 miles?? In crop? No way.

My favorite type of cover is a large CRP field. The larger the better. Never could figure out why people think one guy can't hunt a huge field. I kill 50 plus roosters every year and most of that is in large CRP Fields. Some guys may not like to walk that much but I like to get in at least 10 miles on each day I hunt.

I used to try and avoid the large CRP fields, and still somewhat do. Say it's a mile by mile section of CRP, I found it difficult to come across some natural type of barrier to force the birds to fly and would rather walk multiple quarter sections of CRP. However, my views on this are slowly changing.... I have hunted a few mile by mile public land CRP sections this year in SD and done quite well on them. You've got to find the "grass within the grass." Find that little spot where the grass changes a bit from everything else around it.

I agree, but those places can be hard to find, and it takes a lot of walking. I don't hunt crp that much, it's hard on my dog, and they really run in that stuff. This time of year, crp can be good, but you need a crew.

I agree, but those places can be hard to find, and it takes a lot of walking. I don't hunt crp that much, it's hard on my dog, and they really run in that stuff. This time of year, crp can be good, but you need a crew.

Seems like the original discussion - "Hunting Etiquette" has drifted quite a bit. Perhaps a new thread could be started to discuss hunting CRP et al?

10 miles?? In crop? No way.

Really????????? Lets say I walk a 160 acre CRP field. I start on one side and walk to the end. Then walk up or down then walk the other side back then back down to the truck. That is
close to 2 miles if I walk in a straight line. To get in 10 miles I have to only walk 3 fields in the morning and 2 fields in the evening. Of course I zig zag so that makes it a little further. Also I might walk a field or 2 that cover a whole section or half section. Hell I walked nearly 1.75 miles this evening going and coming from my treestand. No wonder some of you guys kill so few birds. You have to be willing to put in the miles. I have killed my limit on 3 occasions this year simply because I walk a lot. Some days I may kill my limit in the first field or the last field.

What is the big deal about walking 10 miles in an 8 hour plus hunt?

Last edited:

Well then what do you hunt? I find the just the opposite. My labradors will quarter a CRP field much better than hunting wheat stubble. I could count the milo stubble fields I have hunted on one hand in the last 40 years. I like heavy cover where the birds hold tighter. You absolutely DO NOT need a crew. Never mind the date in the pic. I shot this limit by myself Dec. 8th on CRP in 3 hours.

Last edited:
Well then what do you hunt? I find the just the opposite. My labradors will quarter a CRP field much better than hunting wheat stubble. I could count the milo stubble fields I have hunted on one hand in the last 40 years. I like heavy cover where the birds hold tighter. You absolutely DO NOT need a crew. Never mind the date in the pic. I shot this limit by myself Dec. 8th on CRP in 3 hours.
The crp, what's left of it, is thick, tall, narly stuff.The dog can barely get through it.Walking a mile in it will beat you up, and the dog.What we hunt are deep coulees,with buffalo brush.We don't have much corn, or milo.Mostly grain, alfalfa.I actually hunted an onion field a while back, that wasn't harvested.That was really strange.Didnt see a bird, in that stuff!!

Those are a couple good looking dogs. I can tell by the build they are some go getters. Mine is not quite as gray as the one on the right but at ten he hasn’t slowed down much

Those are a couple good looking dogs. I can tell by the build they are some go getters. Mine is not quite as gray as the one on the right but at ten he hasn’t slowed down much

He will be 11 in a few days. Has slowed some but can still hunt all day for a couple of days in row. He is a grandson of Raider and looks like him but is black versus yellow. Much bigger at 90 lbs.

He will be 11 in a few days. Has slowed some but can still hunt all day for a couple of days in row. He is a grandson of Raider and looks like him but is black versus yellow. Much bigger at 90 lbs.
Hall of fame Raider? Those are great looking dogs you have, the one on the left looks like a very strong dog.

Hall of fame Raider? Those are great looking dogs you have, the one on the left looks like a very strong dog.

Yep Riks Risky Raider (grey muzzled dog) He is 90 lbs with ribs showing. I swear he can out hunt any dog alive. I shot a rooster back in 2011 that he never saw drop. When I handled him to the fall area he took off trailing the running cripple. He trailed for nearly 3/4 of mile before disappearing into some cattails. 10 minutes later he reappeared coming over the hill with the pheasant in his mouth. Bird was still alive when he delivered to hand. Greatest retrieve I have ever seen. I have hunted him 45 times per year on pheasants the last 10 seasons and doubt I have lost a dozen birds over 10 seasons with him. Very seldom loose a cripple, maybe one a year. None so far this year.

The one of the left in the pic is my female. Line bred on Raider. She is in heat right now and I think I am not going to breed her, again. Maybe some day just can't find a worthy male. My male is spitting blanks.

Last edited:
Crp crop crp crp

Pretty easy to walk that distance in large crp fields when you and your dog hunt it throughly. Even just walking the perimeter of a section is 4 miles in just one stop.....seems like a pretty normal standard to me.

Well 11.2 miles walked in CRP today produced 7 quail and 2 roosters. But you can't kill birds in large CRP fields hunting solo, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well 11.2 miles walked in CRP today produced 7 quail and 2 roosters. But you can't kill birds in large CRP fields hunting solo, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed! Always amazed at how successful we are in those big fields.

Yep Riks Risky Raider (grey muzzled dog) He is 90 lbs with ribs showing. I swear he can out hunt any dog alive. I shot a rooster back in 2011 that he never saw drop. When I handled him to the fall area he took off trailing the running cripple. He trailed for nearly 3/4 of mile before disappearing into some cattails. 10 minutes later he reappeared coming over the hill with the pheasant in his mouth. Bird was still alive when he delivered to hand. Greatest retrieve I have ever seen. I have hunted him 45 times per year on pheasants the last 10 seasons and doubt I have lost a dozen birds over 10 seasons with him. Very seldom loose a cripple, maybe one a year. None so far this year.

The one of the left in the pic is my female. Line bred on Raider. She is in heat right now and I think I am not going to breed her, again. Maybe some day just can't find a worthy male. My male is spitting blanks.
Wow.I have a great lab, and I lost 10 in one year!!

Wow.I have a great lab, and I lost 10 in one year!!

Maybe poor shooting but sounds like poor ammunition maybe or maybe you need to pattern your gun. A modified choke tube with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's works pretty good. I kill all mine with that combination from a 20 gauge. My dogs have not had to trail a cripple this year. All have been DOA.

Last edited:
Maybe poor shooting but sounds like poor ammunition maybe or maybe you need to pattern your gun. A modified choke tube with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's works pretty good. I kill all mine with that combination from a 20 gauge. My dogs have not had to trail a cripple this year. All have been DOA.
I was using these steel 2's with improved cyl.in 20 gauge. I had a few boxes of them. I was way out in the boonies, and that's all I had.I had some 12 gauge, steel bb loads.sportsman steel.

I was using these steel 2's with improved cyl.in 20 gauge. I had a few boxes of them. I was way out in the boonies, and that's all I had.I had some 12 gauge, steel bb loads.sportsman steel.

That's a shame. Those 10 birds died for nothing. Sounds like you wounded 10 on 1 hunt. Wasteful.

Back