groundhog radish

greatlawn

Since it is late to be putting in food plots (milo) I was thinking of planting Groundhog radish to help the nitrogen level in the soil. My soil test showed really low nitrogen. What do you think? I have read that it will help increase the nitrogen level. How long does it take to make this happen?

Don't know anything about your radish, but cowpeas, mung beans, Korean lespedeza are other options. They should give you 60-120 pounds of N per acre. Kauffman Seed in Haven should have them. They make good brood-rearing habitat and are also great deer attractors. It is a bit late, but I think there is still time. As for grain crops, proso millet has the shortest growing season. You will probably need to add some N if you're that low, but you could also mix the peas or beans with the millet and try that. The N will be all in the roots of the legume and unavailable to the millet this growing season, so again you may need to add some. There are plenty of other options as well.

Since it is late to be putting in food plots (milo) I was thinking of planting Groundhog radish to help the nitrogen level in the soil. My soil test showed really low nitrogen. What do you think? I have read that it will help increase the nitrogen level. How long does it take to make this happen?

Radishes do not pull nitrogen out of the air, but if you have some down deep they will go down and get it and bring it back to the top. Their deep roots will poke holes in your hard pan so that rain will infiltrate your soil instead of running off as well as increasing the biological activity in your soil which is good for all things that depend on the soil to live. Don't plant too many as they make walking more difficult. I plant a pound an acre of radishes and a pound an acre of turnips in my food plots and that is plenty.

Radish is good for breaking up hardpan and mining a little nitrogen. Deer like radish but not pheasants or quail.

You could try clover or a legume.

Thanks for the info. The plot I am working on I think I am going to do some of what PD sugested as well as put in some turnips this fall.

I recommend Turnips, we put 160 acres of turnips a few years back and boy did I see a lot of pheasants in there. Not sure if Pheasants eat turnips, but I do know pheasants were in the turnip field a lot.

Jim

Back