greatest gun ever made?

OK it's time to see if you guys know guns:thumbsup: Whats the greatest gun thats ever been made? Think hard guys:D I'm going with BB gun:eek: Thats right without it it would be hard to get the love for guns people have when they get older. I bet most of us started with the gun that kicks the most:D

The old bolt action Marlin 22. :)
MAN! did I love the long hikes around the countryside. Most everything in the Fall was fare game.
Ruffs, Pheasant, ducks, geese and all kinds of furry stuff.:10sign:

Coot, that may be the most influential gun but greatest...that could mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

For me, A5 Browning, Superposed Browning or Model 12(1897 too) Winchester come to mind with the 37 Ithaca as a honorable mention. JM Browning was a amazing man as was his son who finished and perfected the Superposed design.

1911A1 . . . thanks, John Browning!

Coote,

Since you were not specific on what type of gun, I will have too bit on this one. For Handguns I would rate the Colt 1911A1 .45 ACP at the top of the list for automatics and the Colt 1873 Single Action and S&W Model 29 and S&W .38 SPL for revolvers.

The M14 and M-1 Grand for Military rifles. The Winchester Model 94 and Winchester 1886 45/70 pack a close for lever action guns. The most popular hunting rifle of all times would have to be Remington Model 700 for large calibers and the Ruger 10/22 for small caliber.

Shotguns, o’boy that a tuff one. Pumps would have to be Winchester Model 12 and or the Remington 870, I personally own 7 of the 870’s. Auto-loaders would be Remington 1100 28 gauge and 11-48 sweat 16 gauges, you can keep those “Berettas and Benelle’s”. For the Over and Under I like a Ruger Red Labels in 20 gauge. The SxS would have to be a Parker for sure.

Last edited:
Centerfire rifles any pre'64 Winchester model 70, or custom Mauser 98 Obrendorf action, square bridge. Shotguns are more dependent upon action type, undoubtedly the great british double guns are spectacular and have no equal, most of us have never handled or shot them. Winchester 12, 21, Browning A-5, Remington 1100 and 870, all set new standards. pistols have already been covered and I'd be happy with any 1911 Colt, or S &W 29, or even a colt SAA, in the bunker.

sxs sidelock with straight stock

John Browning did not invent it, but he is undoubtedly the master of the modern gun. Most of his guns are "overbuilt" mechanically but are marvels in their complexity. Take apart an 870 then a Model 12. The simplicity of the 870 becomes apparent. Model 12 is more of a challenge. Both fine in the field and both hold up well. An 870 will go down first, often the extractor, but any idiot like me can fix it. Citoris are less complicated Superposeds, another fine piece of machinery from J. Browning.

I would have to say that it would be the old 870 wingmasters. Followed very closely by the Browning A5 and the Browning Superposed. I'm talking affordable shotguns for the average guy. Those 3 guns are still tough to beat even today IMO.

It has to be the one gun you own that you can always count on hitting what your shooting at.:thumbsup:

Back