grazing limitations

Thomcro

WRP GRAZING LIMITS
Does any one know what the grazing limitations are for ground enrolled in the wetland reserve program?

Probably no limit.These cows just ruin ground.
No, the Iowa DNR leases some ground out for grazing, it improves the habitat if it is done correctly, not overstocked. Many years ago I approached our local DNR about grazing some of their ground next to me. “Oh no, we won’t ever do that.” The next year they asked what it would take to put some cows out there. I grazed it early then took the cows off in late June. The native grasses flourished.

There is a piece near here that was hayed and grazed since forever. The owner inquired about selling to the DNR. They found several plants thought to no longer be in the area, some sort of orchids. Anyway, they bought it and within a few years the plants could no longer be found. They then contracted some cows and now the plants are back. The prairie evolved under grazing and fire.

I have no idea on the original question however.

I graze most of the wildlife area that I manage. For quail, research has found that bobwhite will almost completely abandon ungrazed grasslands. It is a short time in all but some of the driest areas before the cover gets too thick for bobwhite to use it. They are sight feeders and travel mostly by walking and both of those activities require the more open structure that grazing provides. Also, grazing helps promote/sustain the forb portion of the grassland plant community which are the primary sources for both the insects that the broods require almost exclusively for the first 12 weeks of life and the seed that they consume thereafter.

A wetland system may well perform differently. If it is partially populated by native warm-season grasses (NWSG) there would be little difference with those. If it is more wetland plant dominated, it may be detrimental. The first consideration would be protecting the dam, dike, and water control structures that impound your wetland. Cattle can do severe damage to those structures and they should be protected.

For pheasants, grazing will need to be lighter. The broods will need some of the same structural and forb component conditions as bobwhite, but they may also be able to benefit from higher cover especially in the winter. Care must be taken to provide for that season in the wetland unit if other winter cover is limited!

Last edited:
I graze most of the wildlife area that I manage. For quail, research has found that bobwhite will almost completely abandon ungrazed grasslands. It is a short time in all but some of the driest areas before the cover gets too thick for bobwhite to use it. They are sight feeders and travel mostly by walking and both of those activities require the more open structure that grazing provides. Also, grazing helps promote/sustain the forb portion of the grassland plant community which are the primary sources for both the insects that the broods require almost exclusively for the first 12 weeks of life and the seed that they consume thereafter.

A wetland system may well perform differently. If it is partially populated by native warm-season grasses (NWSG) there would be little difference with those. If it is more wetland plant dominated, it may be detrimental. The first consideration would be protecting the dam, dike, and water control structures that impound your wetland. Cattle can do severe damage to those structures and they should be protected.

For pheasants, grazing will need to be lighter. The broods will need some of the same structural and forb component conditions as bobwhite, but they may also be able to benefit from higher cover especially in the winter. Care must be taken to provide for that season in the wetland unit if other winter cover is limited!
Excellent summary Troy....you know what you are talking about.
Wish we could put you in charge of the blm for a year or 2 to straighten them out....protecting riparian corridors/habitat has been a pet peeve of mine for over 50 years.
As you so aptly stated, grazing has a place and can be a great tool for maintaing the land...just takes good management that gives a damn...

WRP GRAZING LIMITS
Does any one know what the grazing limitations are for ground enrolled in the wetland reserve program?
Yes by permit but the limitations are probably setup by the manager at that time to hopefully improve the habitat.

Back