Goose jerky

duckn66

Its in the fridge marinating right now. Be on the dehydrator in a few hours. Perfect for munching on Sunday waiting for the flights of geese to provide yet more jerky. If done correctly there is nothing like waterfowl jerky. Seems I can only get it just perfect once in a blue moon. I'm hoping it's not to salty this go around. I accidently put garlic salt in instead of garlic powder and put the normal amount of salt in as well. We'll see I guess.

I made goose jerkey many years ago when I had a smoker. Cut the breast pieces in thin strips, soaked it in a brine over night and put in the smoker the next day. It was excellent. Difficult to tell the difference between it and beef or venison.

I agree it is good. I use the oven sometimes as well which works just as well as the dehydrator just not as convenient.

Share you recipe...........Please

For 2 lbs of meat. Works on beef as well as waterfowl.

Adjust accordingly for more or less.

Trim all fat from meat

slice meat into thin strips

1t salt
1t garlic
1t pepper
2T worcestershire sauce
4T liquid smoke
1/2c soy sauce

I also use red pepper flakes in mine to give it some extra spice.

I let it sit in the fridge over night to marinade

You can use the oven or a dehydrator.

First time I had it my lead man told us it was deer jerky, I took a bite and said "damn that must have been an old buck". He laughed and told it was goose, pretty good though.

For 2 lbs of meat. Works on beef as well as waterfowl.

Adjust accordingly for more or less.

Trim all fat from meat

slice meat into thin strips

1t salt
1t garlic
1t pepper
2T worcestershire sauce
4T liquid smoke
1/2c soy sauce

I also use red pepper flakes in mine to give it some extra spice.

I let it sit in the fridge over night to marinade

You can use the oven or a dehydrator.

Thanks dn66. My recipe is about the same.

My flavor is pretty consistent. It's the texture I have a problem with.
It varies between JackLinks, Jerky snuff, and boot leather Jerky.
Do you make large batches or small? It doesn't seem to matter with me. Some days it just doesn't seem to work out right.

I usually make large batches. I think this time I probably had around 20lbs of meat or so. I just guesstimated on the quantity of ingredients with this batch. But I messed up and put garlic SALT in as well as the normal amount of salt so yes, it came out kind of salty. Still good though.

Goose must be an aquired taste. I much prefer it to deer or beef jerky for both flavor and texture, but I could understand the texture part because it is a little different. I know one guy who will eat dang near anything but he hates waterfowl.

Last edited:
Back