Good pair of Upland Pants?

Br3mD

I've been trying like hell to find a "COMFORTABLE" pair of pants that hold up in the tall grass and brush, and don't feel like you're wearing chainmail. I've tried the Carhartt's and the typical briar overlays, but they just seem to feel heavy and abrasive after walking for miles. I came across 'Kuhl' brand, but before I shell out $75 for a pair I want to know if they hold up and/or if they are heavy enough for the punishment of the field. Has anyone tried them out? I was looking at the 'Rydr' and the 'Law' pairs.

I'm a Kansas hunter and love my new Cabelas Early Season Upland pants. Get them a larger size than your regular pants and then wear long underwear when it's really cold. Lightest, most comfortable field pants I've had. $49.95 right now.

Last edited:
I have the same pant as Brit Chaser - Cabela's light-weight; wore them all last week with temps in the 60's and they were fine.

Next week, however, I go with a heavier pair (Wrangler). I have problems keeping the pants up, so I wear suspenders, especially if I wear chaps.

And in December - long underwear, the Wranglers and oil chaps, if necessary. In snow, I wear high gaiters under the pants.

LL Bean, their lightest offering in weight and brier protection ordered one size too large and an inch or so too short....with galluses.

In my youth I tried double Filson pants, leather pants, leather chaps, some will bulldozer way through locust grove, but what cost in exhaustion? I now believe a guy needs an assortment, light weight, light colors for hunting grouse out west, and 70 degree days at home, the bulldog briar pants for blackberries and quail in Missouri. ( Nothing is harder than blackberries, they bind your legs at the ground, have toxin that forms surface clots and stains your legs). I takes a tough man to walk a day with out protection in those, and a tough dog! I like chaps, with suspenders, no suspenders-no chaps. I would stay away from the nylon chaps, lighter weight but it will look like you pissed yourself when you take them off! Uncomfortable. Leather trim is on the seams. My try Stafford's in
Thomasville, Georgia. Their expensive but durable, and they know how to manage heat.

Im a Filson Chaps guy but 2 of my buddies swear by there new LL Bean pants. They are comfortable in the heat and have held up really well so far. They both hunt a lot so if they were going to were out it would already start to show.

I've been trying like hell to find a "COMFORTABLE" pair of pants that hold up in the tall grass and brush, and don't feel like you're wearing chainmail. I've tried the Carhartt's and the typical briar overlays, but they just seem to feel heavy and abrasive after walking for miles. I came across 'Kuhl' brand, but before I shell out $75 for a pair I want to know if they hold up and/or if they are heavy enough for the punishment of the field. Has anyone tried them out? I was looking at the 'Rydr' and the 'Law' pairs.

I've been looking at these from Cabelas. They look somewhat like the Kuhl's.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...=SBC;MMcat104797080;cat104262480;cat104076180

I'm a Kansas hunter and love my new Cabelas Early Season Upland pants. Get them a larger size than your regular pants and then wear long underwear when it's really cold. Lightest, most comfortable field pants I've had. $49.95 right now.

I ripped the ass end out of mine brit lol year later took them back to cabelas and told me to get another pair lol they are the best for early season then you need a more heavy pair when cold

Put me in the camp of regular jeans and chaps. I've tried various upland pants, didn't really like any of them. Admittedly, none were the super spendy ones.

Another vote for chaps here. I use Filson and keep an extra pair in the dog trailer (skunks). Makes every pair of blue jeans a "hunting pair of blue jeans". Makes it possible to walk though almost anything I encounter.

Britches

I'm gonna try Wrangler Riggs ripstop work pants. 35 bucks at Farm and Fleet. I'll wear Filson's and low gators underneath. I've been wearing them cutting and splitting wood and for general purpose, but I don't know about hunting in them yet. They seem to be cut right for my big butt and short legs. The wife had to hem all three pair so I'll be wearin' em no matter what, or I'll just be wearin' the Filsons by themselves.

Back