Gloves

I wear various based on temps from just light leather in warmer temps all the way to cold weather which for that I use the Beretta briar proof gloves which of course they don’t make any more. If you do the Orvis let us know how you like them.

Most of the year I wear Cabretta leather work gloves from Sam’s Club. $20/2 pair. Tough gloves.
1606097867604.jpeg
I know circulation differs but if I keep my “core” warm my hands never have a problem. So I dress in layers to keep heart/lungs/head warm.

Also, you lose a lot of warmth through the head/neck. I find a light balaclava stuffed in a pocket can be used to warm up quickly. Something like this from Tractor Supply. Amazing how much it helps
and cheap too.

Huntworth Men's Digital Camo Lightweight Balaclava Face Mask, E-5665-21DC

Last edited:
I like Cabelas Camoskinz II. They have tacky material on the plantar surface which makes holding the gun easier by allowing a lighter grip. They also allow good trigger sensitivity. They are not dead-of-winter warm.

I like Cabelas Camoskinz II. They have tacky material on the plantar surface which makes holding the gun easier by allowing a lighter grip. They also allow good trigger sensitivity. They are not dead-of-winter warm.
Those are one of my warmer weather options also. Downside is absorb water like a sponge. Had them on one afternoon and dog had a water retrieve and I took the bird with the glove on and that was it for the day for that glove. But overall a good option.

For anything below 20 degrees, I switch to Striker Second Skin. These gloves are thin but have a waterproof liner inside. This makes them windproof as well. Absolutely zero issues getting safe on and off and getting inside the trigger guard easily. They are marketed for ice fishing. I actually sweat them up in those 0-20 degree days so I have two pairs and switch out. I use them all the way through December and first week in January on the frozen ND tundra. Love them. Two problematic areas: They will tear more easily if caught on barb wire or branches than leather and you have to carefully take off so liner doesn’t pull out of the outer layer.

Years ago I picked up a pair of Scheel's brand leather shooting gloves that turned out to be the best early/mid season upland gloves I've ever used. Thin & snug fitting for dexterity, tough, and all day comfortable. Don't know if they are still available or not. Next time I get to Scheel.s in Bismarck I will look.

When it gets cold I switch to Mountain Made Cold Weather Gloves. Absolutely the best combination of warmth, waterproof, thin & snug enough to easily operate safeties and access the trigger, & all day comfort. For top end cold weather gloves they are pretty reasonable, around $27.00 a pair on Amazon...

Attachments

• Gloves.jpg
    Gloves.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I looked at a pair of Milwaukee goatskin leather gloves at Home Depot yesterday. Fit pretty well on my hands. Reenforced palm. I resisted the urge but those in need of a pair may want to give them a look. $20

I prefer not to wear gloves. I can tolerate it down to about freezing temps. Once it drops to around freezing, I use a very thin pair of those cheapies from Walmart. If its colder out, I have a thinsulate set of gloves with a specialized trigger finger. If its REALLY cold out, I use the small pair under the cabela's gloves. That happens maybe once a year near the very end of the season when its about 0 degrees out or worse. Neither one is waterproof but I don't hunt in the rain either.

Attachments

• cheap gloves.jpg
    cheap gloves.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3
  • hunting gloves.jpg
    hunting gloves.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3
How well do those last. They were on my Christmas list last year. Might have to try again.
I haven't had any issues with durability with mine. But I only wear them when it's very cold.. Considering how thin they are they work very well keeping my hands warm.

Back