Gloves

btomlin

I'm not sure about most of you, but when it gets later in the year I like a tighter fitting pair of gloves while hunting.

I just thought I would see what everyone's preference was and to look at a few different options.

Last year, I used a pair of winter golfing gloves made by footjoy. I bought them at Dicks(I think) for around $20. I must say that I have finally found a good use for golf equipment! They worked awesome and hands never got cold. Package said they were waterproof also, but didn't feel like sticking hand in icy water to verify.

If you are out of options and haven't tried the winter glove gloves I would say to give them a try.

Last edited:
I have trouble feeling the trigger with most gloves but got some Camoskinz II gloves from Cabelas that are dandy. Despite their thinness they are warm enough for all but the coldest days. The Camoskinz also have grip enhancing material on the plantar surfaces which make my hold on the gun light yet secure.

Last edited:
Orvis is closing out their goatskin Kevlar gloves. I picked up a pair for $35 they fit and feel excellent. Haven't had a chance to test in the cold yet.

In nice weather I wear some really tight fighting leather work gloves, not sure the brand. Woodsman or something like that. The ones you find at hardware stores. Mostly it is for barbed wire, a wind break, and (understandably) angry wounded pheasants trying to spur me when taking from the dog. There is very little dexterity loss in these.

For cooler weather I wear some knock off Sportsmans warehouse branded glacier gloves. There is a more dexterity loss, but it is workable.

When really cold I pull out my windproof fleece gloves from my big game kit. They smush enough to shoot and handle the shotgun fine.

I have a tough time finding gloves that fit. I have big palms but stubby fingers so most gloves that I can get on my hand the fingers are too long.

Last edited:
As the season progresses, I go from light deerskin to heavier deerskin to fleece, but my hands and feet have a greater propensity to be cold than others'.

I picked up a new pair of hunting gloves, light ones, a couple of weeks ago. The price had bumped up a bit...just under $25. I asked about it and the store manager said their distributor indicated that most deerskin is going to China these days, suggesting that it was being used for car seats in luxury cars.

I kind of question that, but the distributor said they were going to be harder to stock.

Dunno. But I do know that putting on a pair of new deerskin gloves always makes me feel rich. :D

Last edited:
Google Neumann gloves. I use the winter coaches gloves and add UA liners when cold.

Geier gloves are the best I've ever worn. They make awesome deerskin gloves and offer three or four different linings; thinsulate, fleece, merrino wool etc. Now that I've found these I'll never wear anything else.

I wear "batting gloves" - weather down to about 30. Dick's sells them; I did look for golfing gloves, but found only singles, no pairs.

I have a never ending battle with gloves. I also prefer very tight fitting gloves so I can feel like I have complete control over the trigger. I've tried pretty much every glove Cabela's has and keep coming back to an old pair of North Face mountaineering gloves. They were designed for rappelling so they have great dexterity, but of course they are 5 or 6 years old and not made anymore. If I would have known I would have purchased more.

I am however interested in trying the following two gloves made by Sitka.

Sitka Incinerator Flip Mitt for late season

and

Sitka Fanatic Glove Optifade for windy early season.

I'm running the risk of sounding like a sucker for brand names, but I use under armor gloves. I have a really thin pair. They are almost like insulated wide receiver gloves. They work until it gets down around zero degrees. Then I switch to a thicker pair of under armor gloves. But they still provide enough dexterity to manipulate the trigger and reload without fumbling around.

fingerless rag wool gloves for cold

New to the forum and enjoying the conversations so far. I wear some of the skin tight under gloves (with the rubber palms so the gun doesn't slip) and then when the weather turns colder I have several pair of cheap rag wool (GameHide?), and cut the finger tips off so I have a better feel for the safety and trigger. I wear them over the underliner gloves. The wool is surprisingly rain/snow resistant too. The only draw back is it's a little hard on the nose for those of us who forget a handkerchief.

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck with the MCR 901 glove. You won't find it in BassPro, Cabelas, or anywhere like that. MCR makes safety stuff--gloves, safety glasses, hi-vis clothing, etc.--for the industrial market. You should be able to get it for well under $20 online. It has a deerskin palm, spandex back, velcro wrist closure, and no cuff.

Everyone has a different sensitivity to cold. For me, this glove is warm enough for ALMOST any condition I'm willing to tolerate.

I like leather gloves, but I hunt a lot in the snow and they seem to get wet about 3 minutes after I get out of the truck. Am I the only one with that problem?

I have always hunted with light weight leather gloves even in nasty weather. I load them up with snow-proofer or another type of "water proofing" stuff. Also helps to soften them up. If it gets really cold I will put a heavy glove on my non-trigger-finger hand.
Cheers
Wolf

Sounds a little nuts but I've been using Neosports 1.5mm 3/4 finger waterski/diving gloves with NRS polypropylene liners underneath. The liners are thick enough to wick moisture and keep your hands warm, but still easy to shoot. Leather on palms gives good grip. Boy does that combination keep my hands warm. I hunted for three hours in a steady bone soaking rain yesterday here in southern WI and my Irish Setter Havocs kept my feet 100% dry. Just nuts. Good advice from this site. All stuff from Amazon. Shot one rooster on public land too so good day. Dog very happy and proud.

I walked into the Ace Hardware in Winner last year and bought a really nice pair of lined, but thin leather gloves. They were not that much money and I kept wearing them after I got home.

I use Watson ropers and cut the trigger finger at the first joint.
Keeps the briars and thorns out of my tender hands!:D
DHT

I can only wear one kind of glove hunting and fishing. The lowly jersey glove. Though made out of cotton and no match for water its the only glove I can feel my gear through enough to feel in control.

Back