Giving a day back

519vx

Wisconsin's pheasant season ends December 31, so this time of the year I try to get out as much as I can. I love hunting in the snow, the dogs are hunting well, and there are usually few other hunters.

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a group that works closely with the Wisconsin state game farm in Poynette where our PHG release birds are raised. They were working with local Pheasants Forever, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, and a local game farm to put on a "Learn to Hunt" program for new pheasant hunters, and were looking for people to volunteer as mentors during the actual hunting portion of the program. The goal is to introduce new people, young or old, to pheasant hunting. They will have "courses" where they expose the people to various aspects of the hunt, from safe gun handling, carrying, and shooting, to flusher and pointer dogs and how they hunt, to trap shooting, then a hunt with 2 planted roosters per new hunter.

I told them that I'd be interested and I heard back today that they do need me there and have assigned a new hunter to me to mentor for the hunt!! For as much as I enjoy all aspects of pheasant hunting and for all the memories I have of good times associated with pheasant hunting, I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to help introduce someone new to our sport.

very cool and sounds like an awesome program. More hunters = more conservation and a more secure future for our beloved sport. If they had his program in MN I would do it in a heartbeat.

Very good of you, Thanks from all at UPH. :thumbsup:

Very cool 519!.. Is this for next year or this weekend?

It is this Saturday. I will try to get a few pictures. Most states are losing hunters faster than they are recruiting new ones and that's a bad trend. This is the first time for me doing something like this, but I'm a strong believer in any programs to get new people in hunting and fishing. It should be a good time for all!

Very cool buddy, I hope you have a great time. I helped out with a disabled pheasant hunt last Saturday, its nice to give back.:cheers:

that's awesome....I remember years ago when I lived in NJ ....my NAVHDA chapter used to sponsor young hunters who were new to hunting on pheasant hunts on state ground...it was a very rewarding experience.....I have been a bird hunting maniac for almost 35 years and I still remember 2 men in my life that took me hunting as a young boy....they fed the fire and I am forever in their debt.

We all have to learn sometime. Having a mentor to ask questions and show them the ropes will make things much easier and more enjoyable. Thanks for volunteering!!

Back