Gifts for Landowners

Pie, I agree. Go to Costco or Sams they have those great big pies. Then when I call and tell them my name if they dont remeber I say I am the guy that brings the pies out. They remember then.

zeepo

On point is right it is abput the realtionship not the gift. The rancher where I hunt is coming to the Packer game this week end his youngest daughter is a Packer nut. I sold him my tickets and they'll by staying with us over night. I''l be on my way back out on 11-25 for the rest of the week. :cheers:

Landowner Appreciation

I take my landowner and his family out to dinner at the steakhouse the first day of the season.

Last edited:
perfect gifts take some thought and luck

My friends and I are elk hunters in rural Colorado and one is a part time taxidermist. The first year we hunted SD, we knocked on a door and got permission from a farmer who we paid with a case of Budd Light and our companionship every evening for five days (thank goodness hunting doesn't start until 10am :cheers:)> I sent him a bottle of Chivas and a Christmas card that Dec. Last year we brought out a stuffed coyote that our farmer friend in SD shot the year before and froze solid hoping to get around to mounting it, My buddy made a beautiful mount of the coyote posed over a caught roster pheasant. This year we're bringing out a mounted 5x5 elk rack, not a huge trophy or expensive, but something that our friend in SD will never have the opportunity to go get himself. The key I think is to spend some time, build a relationship (don't talk politics or religion :rolleyes:) and figure out something unique that will be really appreciated and remembered.

I'm sure it's well meant but I'm not sure why someone would want a set of elk antlers from a elk they didn't shoot. The stuff I have on my wall is to show my accomplishment as a hunter. I can tell a story or two about each of them.

Myself, I would much more enjoy a couple of good meals and good BS with someone that asks to hunt here. I enjoy time spent with friends. Myself, I would bring out all the fixins for prime rib and crab legs or something like and put on a spread for him and the family. That's just me though

I would just call and say, Hey farmer Joe. We wanted to bring out all the fixins to put on the feed bag one night for you and the family. Ill run the grill and we will help with the clean up. How about it, can we treat the wife, kids and you to a great meal and good time?

onpoint

Cheese, beer, but more importantly, genuine sincerity, appreciation, and respect. I leave nothing on his land (I pick up my empty casings and the trash other hunters leave), then I stop back after hunting to thank him again.

As someone else mentioned I like the gift certificate to their favorite steak house idea. Or better yet invite them to join you at that favorite steak house (your treat) and enjoy getting to know them with good conversation.

Last edited:
How do you guys normally approach farmers or landowners? I have hunted only public land for the last 5 years and while I have had good results I have been reluctant to ask farmers for the fear of being turned down. I just moved to a new area on the outskirts of a large town and there are several large farms including a state park outside of this area. There looks to be like there is some good land around, but I'm kind of worried about asking. You just never know what will come out of someone's mouth when you ask. I dont know, maybe I'm chicken, but....

Back