Gettysburg Area Hunting

uglydogman

I am new to the forum but have been reading threads for a while. I have hunted for the past several years in SD primarily on public ground. I usually find birds but am looking for some new ground to pay for a day or so. I am looking for recomendations for pay to play private ground in or around Gettysburg, SD. I am wanting to get my Father and Uncle onto some birds this year where they don't flush so wild like on the public areas. Any recomendations are appreciated. Thank You!

I am new to the forum but have been reading threads for a while. I have hunted for the past several years in SD primarily on public ground. I usually find birds but am looking for some new ground to pay for a day or so. I am looking for recomendations for pay to play private ground in or around Gettysburg, SD. I am wanting to get my Father and Uncle onto some birds this year where they don't flush so wild like on the public areas. Any recomendations are appreciated. Thank You!

I have the perfect place for you. Johannsen Farms Outfitting is located about 20 miles NE of Gettysburg. Eric Johannsen is a good friend of mine and will treat you right. This is a true farming operation and not a preserve. 100% wild birds. If you want to get your father and uncle on some wild SD pheasants this is the place. Their price is not cheap but they are great people with great land. I would encourage you to call Eric soon to get a time booked. And if you call please tell him that George from Watertown referred you. Might not get you a better rate but it won't hurt. And there is nothing in it for me. :)

Here's their web site: http://johannsenfarms.com/

Even private ground, the birds will get cagey after a push or two. To put the odds in their favor, better hit it opening day to harvest the young uneducated birds . What kind of dogs are you using? Also could depend on your strategy in your approach, you and your dog's ability to pin birds, cutting off their escape route, reading the cover...all kinds of good reading out there regarding pheasant hunting technique. If you are looking for birds that "don't flush so wild", then you may not want to look for wild birds. Not trying to be a smart-ass, can't expect a wild creature to not try to survive. You wouldn't. All the best to your father and uncle, you're a good son.

Last edited:
Hey U-man, when are you heading up there? Heading to G-burg 11/12/12, maybe bump into ya.

public hunting

Looking for information on public hunting near a campground in South Central SD. We have hunted the last several years on private farms in Kansas but want to explore more options. I am retired and will be with my son and our English Stters. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

U man you can also try a j acres for pay to play. hunting. look in links . Dwt , you can obtain hunting and camping info from south Dakota game fish and parks website. . Wish you all good luck

Thank You for all the information. Looking to head up around Oct. 28th or so and again later in November possibly around the 12th or so. Usually go the second or third week of november. The last time we went this early was 3 seasons or so ago when all crops were still standing. Will there be lots of pressure on the public ground at this time (2nd week) or will it be about the same as middle to late november? Either way it makes for a good time (sure beats working)! I run a couple German Wirehair pointers and my dad runs a pudlepointer. My buddy that I go with later in november has a lab. Dog Power usually isn't a problem as long as I keep them rotating. We typically get some birds with a full day walking (should always get more). I hate to see it so dry for all you farmers. If the corn crop is lost will it be left standing or cut/disced under by November?

UDM, I will be arriving in Gettysburg on November 2. Staying at South Whitlock Lodge. Maybe we will cross paths. I too hunt mostly public ground. Been hunting around Clark the last few years, but decided to move further west this year.

Looking for information on public hunting near a campground in South Central SD. We have hunted the last several years on private farms in Kansas but want to explore more options. I am retired and will be with my son and our English Stters. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Lower Oahe Rec Area is a gem of a campground,right on Mo River.Lot's of shade,rv and tent sites,rv dump,etc.There is tons of public hunting along the Corp land,State GPA's etc.Oh ya,bring your fishing pole,you can walk from your site to the Oahe tailrace.It's about as good as fishing gets.

I have the perfect place for you. Johannsen Farms Outfitting is located about 20 miles NE of Gettysburg. Eric Johannsen is a good friend of mine and will treat you right. This is a true farming operation and not a preserve. 100% wild birds. If you want to get your father and uncle on some wild SD pheasants this is the place. Their price is not cheap but they are great people with great land. I would encourage you to call Eric soon to get a time booked. And if you call please tell him that George from Watertown referred you. Might not get you a better rate but it won't hurt. And there is nothing in it for me. :)

Here's their web site: http://johannsenfarms.com/

I hunt land next Eric's for about 20 years--first class operation-dogs and he has been a real gentleman when we've talked--dc

Back