gearing up for 10 day solo road trip

gps4

I will be leaving Vicksburg, MS on 11/6 and hope to arrive in SD on 11/7. I will have my 12 month old lab with me and plan to bounce around public walk-in areas in east SD until we have to head back south on 11/15.

I'm in the process of making vehicle and gear preparations. So far, I plan to pack:
Gun and case
Ammo
Clothes
Boots
Vest
Hat
Gloves
Dog Kennel
Dog Bed
Leash
Food/Water Bowls
Bucket of dog Food
Large water container
Cooler
Pocket knife
Poultry Scissors
Ziplock Bags or vacuum sealer
FAK
Blanket
Towels

What are other must-have gear items (hunting and automobile) should I consider for a comfortable 2500 mile road trip?

I am not tied down to any particular destination town at the moment and I am open to staying in several different towns during the week. I hope to have time to take in the Redlin Art Center in Watertown on Monday (11/8) afternoon or Tuesday (11/9) afternoon. I am also researching community calendars to see what kind of after-dark entertainment activities might be going on, if anyone knows of anything worth checking out.

Thanks in advice.

Last edited:
I will be leaving Vicksburg, MS on 11/6 and hope to arrive in SD on 11/7. I will have my 12 month old lab with me and plan to bounce around public walk-in areas in east SD until we have to head back south on 11/15.

I'm in the process of making vehicle and gear preparations. So far, I plan to pack:
Gun and case
Ammo
Clothes
Boots
Vest
Hat
Gloves
Dog Kennel
Dog Bed
Leash
Food/Water Bowls
Bucket of dog Food
Large water container
Cooler
Pocket knife
Poultry Scissors
Ziplock Bags or vacuum sealer
FAK
Blanket
Towels

What are other must-have gear items (hunting and automobile) should I consider for a comfortable 2500 mile road trip?

I am not tied down to any particular destination town at the moment and I am open to staying in several different towns during the week. I hope to have time to take in the Redlin Art Center in Watertown on Monday (11/8) afternoon or Tuesday (11/9) afternoon. I am also researching community calendars to see what kind of after-dark entertainment activities might be going on, if anyone knows of anything worth checking out.

Thanks in advice.
First aid kits

I always carry a leatherman multi tool in my vest. Can't tell you how many uses I've found for that over the years.

That does sound like a fun week. Cell phone & charger, have a credit card and a wad of cash, just in case. Are you eating out or eating outdoors? Could be nasty in a couple weeks. At least a sack of road snacks and whatever your drink preferance is. Check your tires air pressure, fix any slow leakers. Maybe getting carried away, not like eastern SD is void of lodging, restraunts and everything else you'll need. Know how to use the camera, expecting pictures now! Good luck and safe passage to you.

If current my back issue would be greatly improved by then, we could get you a quick limit of Iowa roosters on your way home.

I preferred a metal plate (when I had one) over a piece of wood for the jack plate. Wood can split under the right (wrong) loading.

As noted above ... back up gun

Have newer tires and a newer battery (if not - a remote jump starter might be nice).

Last edited:
Couldn't be more jealous of that trip plan (and lack of committed times/places)! Pretty much my favorite time of year to hunt SD, and over the years have encountered the entire spectrum of weather from 75-80 degrees and really hot for the dogs, to high 20's with freezing rain/roads and precarious driving.

For dog injuries
EMT and superglue
Tshirt - to cut into bandages and or body wrap
Velcro muzzle
Hemostat
Hydrogen peroxide
Vet wrap
Bag balm for eyes and nose

Dog vest
Lewis dog boots
6’ of paracord for sliplead or conibear trap release
small cable cutters for snare trap, leatherman does not cut cable
Scotchgard boots, pants, and gloves

Last edited:
All great ideas! Most of the things I’ve got on hand but there are a few items, especially the K9 first aid stuff I’ll need to find in short order

Back