Fresh Birds

vman

What is the best way to keep your birds fresh after harvesting? We will be in SD for 4 days of hunting. Last year we just kept the birds on ice in a large cooler. Not sure of an alternative, but, I am sure there is a better way.
Thanks!

Keeping them on ice is fine. Dry ice will seems to keep them even cooler.

I've been to a few motels that let me freeze the birds if there's room in their freezers.

Our December hunts, we leave birds in the cooler. Obviously nature does the job of keeping them frozen for us that time of year. lol

I final rinse them with ice water from the cooler. Put them in zip locks. Nights usually freeze where I'm at. Set them out over night on the hood or safe place, usually they are half frozen by morning, then in the cooler. Next night new birds, sometimes Yesterday's birds back on the hood. :thumbsup:

Gutted birds can be hung unskinned for 3-4 days if daytime highs dont exceed 70 and night time lows are dropping into the low 40's. I've hung them in uninsulated farm machine sheds and similar outbuildings which cool down pretty good at night, even in October (SD latitude). Cavities of gut-shot birds should be rinsed before hanging and remember to hang them out of reach of the cats!

Works for me

Just clean and rinse let cool for a few hours on ice in cooler. Then zip lock and put in cooler add ice as needed to cover. Don't take cooler with u during the day, might have a hard time explaining to CO :( Have kept birds this way for 10 days and most were froze solid when I got home. Don't forget to leave head or leg on each bird. like mentioned earlier most motels have a freezer for use.

Gutted birds can be hung unskinned for 3-4 days if daytime highs dont exceed 70 and night time lows are dropping into the low 40's. I've hung them in uninsulated farm machine sheds and similar outbuildings which cool down pretty good at night, even in October (SD latitude). Cavities of gut-shot birds should be rinsed before hanging and remember to hang them out of reach of the cats!

why do you guys hang them? How come you just dont clean them the rest of the way ?

Where do you get dry ice? I happened to get some only because of the kindness of a grocery store manager. Their frozen food shipment had arrived that day and he made a gift to me. Otherwise on the wrong day I'd have been sunk! What stores can you depend on to have dry ice?

I don't clean them all the way because all the States I've hunted in require a leg, head, or both as a minimum for transportation. For waterfowl in MN you need a fully feathered wing AND the head attached. It is easier to just do all the cleaning in one session after we get home. My experience has been that birds keep best when hung and kept dry and cool. In all my years I've hunted, I've only had one bird spoil. a ruffed grouse that I skinned, washed, and put in a cooler with ice. I think moist environments (coolers) sometimes promote spoilage.

david0311

What is the best way to keep your birds fresh after harvesting? We will be in SD for 4 days of hunting. Last year we just kept the birds on ice in a large cooler. Not sure of an alternative, but, I am sure there is a better way.
Thanks!

I have a cooler I keep just for birds cleaned in the field-(private land with permission) clean and skin in the field--cooler about half full of water with some ice--driving moves birds around-- in evening birds are quite clean--final rinse --vacuum pack--and freeze--

Where do you get dry ice? I happened to get some only because of the kindness of a grocery store manager. Their frozen food shipment had arrived that day and he made a gift to me. Otherwise on the wrong day I'd have been sunk! What stores can you depend on to have dry ice?

It depends on where you are. If you're in a so called "hunting town", gander mnt, cabelas, small sporting goods stores, grocery stores, hardware stores usually care it (though not always).

Otherwise you really can't find it anywhere in those smaller towns so you're left with no choice but ice. Ice works just fine too:)

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking there might be a certain grocery chain that I could seek out that would for certain sell it.

why do you guys hang them? How come you just dont clean them the rest of the way ?

Hanging is like ageing beef. The longer they hang in a controlled environment the longer bacteria has to break down the tough parts of the meat into a tender juicy morsel. Gross idea I know but most of the meat you get in the store hangs for a while and is an accepted practice.

Back