French Brittany Thoughts?

Looking for some feedback on French Britts. How are they around the house? on-off switch. Easy to train, natural pointing, can they handle the thick cattails of the SoDak? Looking to get in the pointer game again. Based out of Minneapolis so I'd welcome any breeders that are reasonable close or willing to drive for that special breeder. Thanks for everyones input.

My brother's last dog was a French Brittany. He got her because he had heard they were "close working" and he was getting older. Based upon one dog, which is just that, one dog, he was correct. She worked close, and handled well. He had spent a lot of time over his life training GSP's so he had a lot of pointer experience. We hunted together in SD and Kansas in some pretty gnarly cover. She had no problems. Seemed pretty mild mannered at home to. Like all dogs, it depends on the breeding. He was lucky, but overall, a good bird dog breed, in my opinion.

I've never personally had one, but have hunted with others that have and my personal opinion is they are on the small side for a bird dog. At least a pheasant dog. If you were after more of a grouse dog for the northern MN woods, they would be just fine. But in pheasant country, I think they are a tad small and lack some strength for cattails.

One guy I hunted with a fair amount, his french brit had to practically jump through fields to see anything. Otherwise she was too deep into the thick stuff.

I'm an American Brittany guy and personally prefer the American over the French. Little larger dog and generally bigger running. But, I've also seen and hunted over some very nice French Britts. There is a French Brittany breeder in Benson, MN, his name is Glen Gunderson with Copper Spur Kennel and his number is 320-815-0663. Give him a call and at least you can get more info on the breed.

I've never personally had one, but have hunted with others that have and my personal opinion is they are on the small side for a bird dog. At least a pheasant dog. If you were after more of a grouse dog for the northern MN woods, they would be just fine. But in pheasant country, I think they are a tad small and lack some strength for cattails.

One guy I hunted with a fair amount, his french brit had to practically jump through fields to see anything. Otherwise she was too deep into the thick stuff.
They are good hunting buffalo brush.Not cattails.

I'm an American Brittany guy and personally prefer the American over the French. Little larger dog and generally bigger running. But, I've also seen and hunted over some very nice French Britts. There is a French Brittany breeder in Benson, MN, his name is Glen Gunderson with Copper Spur Kennel and his number is 320-815-0663. Give him a call and at least you can get more info on the breed.
Zeb, thanks for tip. Any American Brit breeders you’d recommended ?

There is a friend of mine in Dickinson, ND that has some great American Britts. Her dogs have won numerous championships in NSTRA field trials and are also great companion dogs. Not sure if she has any litters planned or not. There are some American Britt breeders in Minnesota but I don't have any experience with them. One is Ben's Brittanys in LeRoy, MN. Regardless of what dog you get be sure to select the breeder carefully and make sure they are breeding the type of dog you are looking for. Lots of differences in every breed.

I have owned 5 American Brittany since 1991 and picked up my first French Brittany in 2018. Both breeds have similar traits regarding training, handling in the field and around the house. All my brittany were full of energy in the house until they were close to 4 years old. If you worked their minds, they were calmer. If they lack exercise, they had more energy. My decision to go with a French was twofold: 1) my long-time breeder of American Brittany passed away 2) my hunting party went from 4 down to just myself. My French Brittany tends to work closer than my American Brittany. However, he will get out there depending on the terrain and cover. As far as the cattails, I had a similar concern on their size. However, my French will bust through cattails as needed. With that said, if the cattails are so dense that I cannot walk through it, my French cannot bust through as well. This was similar to my Americans. I have never hunted behind big dogs in cattails (GSP, Labs, Pointers, etc.) and I have no comparison. The biggest difference was in the retrieving of pheasants. If it is a big pheasant, my French does have a tough time of picking up the bird and carrying it back to me. He tends to grab it by the wing or the neck. Good thing, he does not dig his canine teeth into the body of the bird. Bad thing, if it is not a clean kill, he will just stand on the bird until I pick it up. The other difference is his personality. He wants to be by your side constantly and wants to lay next to you when you are on the couch or in your chair. As with any new pup/litter/dog, the parents and genetics need to be thoroughly vetted. My American Brittany were from 18”to 19” to the shoulder and ranged from 40lbs to 50lbs. My French is 17” to the shoulder and 35 lbs.

I have owned 5 American Brittany since 1991 and picked up my first French Brittany in 2018. Both breeds have similar traits regarding training, handling in the field and around the house. All my brittany were full of energy in the house until they were close to 4 years old. If you worked their minds, they were calmer. If they lack exercise, they had more energy. My decision to go with a French was twofold: 1) my long-time breeder of American Brittany passed away 2) my hunting party went from 4 down to just myself. My French Brittany tends to work closer than my American Brittany. However, he will get out there depending on the terrain and cover. As far as the cattails, I had a similar concern on their size. However, my French will bust through cattails as needed. With that said, if the cattails are so dense that I cannot walk through it, my French cannot bust through as well. This was similar to my Americans. I have never hunted behind big dogs in cattails (GSP, Labs, Pointers, etc.) and I have no comparison. The biggest difference was in the retrieving of pheasants. If it is a big pheasant, my French does have a tough time of picking up the bird and carrying it back to me. He tends to grab it by the wing or the neck. Good thing, he does not dig his canine teeth into the body of the bird. Bad thing, if it is not a clean kill, he will just stand on the bird until I pick it up. The other difference is his personality. He wants to be by your side constantly and wants to lay next to you when you are on the couch or in your chair. As with any new pup/litter/dog, the parents and genetics need to be thoroughly vetted. My American Brittany were from 18”to 19” to the shoulder and ranged from 40lbs to 50lbs. My French is 17” to the shoulder and 35 lbs.
Brimar, thanks for the write up. Part of the appeal is a smaller dog too. Are they prone to any predisposed to any genetics? Also assuming ok get life span due to their size.

I know Ben! I grew up in the same town. He's well known for his dogs and training programs at his preserve there. Good Guy!

Brimar, thanks for the write up. Part of the appeal is a smaller dog too. Are they prone to any predisposed to any genetics? Also assuming ok get life span due to their size.
I am not an expert. Like all breeds, there are some genetic issues with all breeds. From the CEB-US website, “Hip dysplasia and the Ay (sable coat) gene are two hot button issues concerning the Epagneul Breton in the US, but they are certainly not the only concerns facing ethical breeders.” I looked for reputable breeders with a history of breeding the Epagneul Bretons (French Brittany), who performed Embark test on the parents to identify health issues and checked the parents hips. This is not a fail safe method. But, I believe it improved my chances for a healthy pup. My pup only dropped one testicle so I had to have him fixed when he turned 2 years old. Not a huge issue since I had no intention for him to be a stud. And, it did not change his drive in the field or increase his weight. Good luck with your decision.

I attended EB trails and met breeders in the west over the last five years before I purchased a started female in January of this year. My opinion they need to be a house dog, they need the connection to their family. They can’t tolerate a heavy handed training regimen, but are eager to learn . Hunt hard , recall easily, and imo unlike many pointing breeds have a great desire to retrieve. They are eager to be a pack member with you. They still need a carefree puppy season , and can do no more wrong in the field. CEB-us is a great resource.

Thanks al! I generally associate hip displacia with much larger dogs. The ceb is a good starting point and resource. The wife is lobbying for a small musterlander. Owner at gym she works out has a one as resident pup and greeter.

Thanks al! I generally associate hip displacia with much larger dogs. The ceb is a good starting point and resource. The wife is lobbying for a small musterlander. Owner at gym she works out has a one as resident pup and greeter.
Good luck on your decision. Follow-up to my earlier post. This is my EB retrieving a couple pheasants after working heavy cattails. These cattail areas had deer paths already cut into the cattails. He would follow these paths until he found scent. Then, he would work his way through the heavy stuff until he found hot scent and went on point. Bad thing it was hard to see him under all the cattails when he was on-point. He wears a Garmin GPS so I could locate him.
Another retreive.jpg
Retrieving a pheasant.jpg

Good luck on your decision. Follow-up to my earlier post. This is my EB retrieving a couple pheasants after working heavy cattails. These cattail areas had deer paths already cut into the cattails. He would follow these paths until he found scent. Then, he would work his way through the heavy stuff until he found hot scent and went on point. Bad thing it was hard to see him under all the cattails when he was on-point. He wears a Garmin GPS so I could locate him.
View attachment 4535
View attachment 4534
Beautiful dog

I had a French Brittany that was a great dog. She was fantastic on Quail and Grouse. She was good on Pheasants. There are great dogs in all of the breeds.

French Brits are awesome bird dogs. Grew up with American Brits, but I'm sold on the French version. Compact dogs, that have as much or more drive than any other breed I've hunted around. Other than maybe a springer. Out hunted and out lasted any vizsla, german, english, or lab I've hunted with. As far as cattails, get a bell for them, that's my favorite cover to hunt with them. Usually if there is pheasants living in the cattails they have small trails. My dogs can run the same trails the pheasants run. French Brits are small enough to haul ass, while the labs, chessy's, etc are trying to plow through the thick crap. Awesome around the kids, and other dogs. Well behaved in the house if they are inside often. Very soft dogs, easy to train. Much less hard headed than most pointing breeds. I currently have two. One male & one female, from different breeders. Both are great hunters. If I had to choose I would probably get a male. Female in the field has one speed, full speed. My male is a little more calculated. Both are lovers, female won't leave you alone if you give her any attention. Males a little more independent. dog.png

French Brits are awesome bird dogs. Grew up with American Brits, but I'm sold on the French version. Compact dogs, that have as much or more drive than any other breed I've hunted around. Other than maybe a springer. Out hunted and out lasted any vizsla, german, english, or lab I've hunted with. As far as cattails, get a bell for them, that's my favorite cover to hunt with them. Usually if there is pheasants living in the cattails they have small trails. My dogs can run the same trails the pheasants run. French Brits are small enough to haul ass, while the labs, chessy's, etc are trying to plow through the thick crap. Awesome around the kids, and other dogs. Well behaved in the house if they are inside often. Very soft dogs, easy to train. Much less hard headed than most pointing breeds. I currently have two. One male & one female, from different breeders. Both are great hunters. If I had to choose I would probably get a male. Female in the field has one speed, full speed. My male is a little more calculated. Both are lovers, female won't leave you alone if you give her any attention. Males a little more independent. View attachment 4855
That’s a pretty good endorsement. Agree on the cattail concept. That’s the Highway for them

Back