Flushers vs. Skinny dogs (pointers) What do you all think?

Kiotehntr, I am with you buddy I totally agree, I got a Brittany just like your GSP. He will work like hell to get a solid point and that Pheasant in the air. It makes me want to kick myself if I should miss.---Bob

I got a female weimeraner that has no problem with running birds. I agree with you if I miss that bird after the dog has worked so hard I want to kick myself as well.

I also know guys around here that leave their pointers at home when they go out west to hunt pheasants.

I haven't ever hunted behind a flusher. I will likely do just that on my next trip out west. I would like to see them in action but am doubtful I would ever prefer to hunt behind one. I love to see the point.:)

not all labs point, but the pointing breed is similar to hunting behind a pointer with the exception they don't range as far if they are well trained. both of my labs point and hold until told to flush it up.

NAVHDA is versitile or pointing dogs only. Tracking is an integral part of all their tests, as is retrieving. To say these dogs cannot track or retrieve is ludicris. If they do not it is because they were improperly or not trained. Granted, the English Pointer may take a little more training than most, but many of the versitle dogs are natural retrievers, such as my favorite, the PUDELPOINTER.
PS. I have some pups for sale.
________
F60

Last edited:
For all you flusher guys who think that a GSP won't track running birds or cripples I would love to invite you to a hunt here in KS behind my GSP Molly. She has a super soft mouth and there isn"t a bird one that gets away as a cripple. You need to trust your dog and know how to read it. She retrieves to hand everytime too.

did a lot of folks say that a pointer wont retrive or do you assume thats what we all think? We've all seen them on TV retrieving

I think a point like this is beyond words of beauty. It really get me going and I know a lot of hunters share my feeling. He will also retrieve ducks and geese from water like a flusher. Brittany's are truly one Versitile dog. Hay George his tail is up a little bit....Bob

jpg_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Britchaser, you obviously have not seen many Brittany's at work. If they are trained right, they do it right, simple as that......Bob

Last edited:
labs

I have had labs they are GREAT DOGS! But please upland hunting is for gentileman using 16ga or 28ga hunting over civilzed dogs like setters,musterlanders,and other pointing breeds! Just my opinon LOL

beefcake, I see you mentioned the 28 gauge. I have one and use it a lot on upland birds. Even Pheasant, I stay with the 3/4 ounce of 7 shot load going about 1250-1275 fps. I reload the 7 shot only way I can get them......Bob

Britchaser, you obviously have not seen many Brittany's at work. If they are trained right, they do it right, simple as that......Bob

Not sure if Britchaser is still following this thread or not, his post was 8 months ago.:D

But just the same, I agree with you.:cheers:

I love np#7 shot out of a 20 or28ga they are deadly. I also love np#5 1/2 ! if you have not tried them yet get some, when the wind kicks up in the western states (and it always does) you can keep that 28ga out and still kill every bird inside 30yards!!

i personally love a good pointer. nothing is better than having a dog freeze at 20 to 30 yards out and not move on the bird.

Beyond bread the best dog to hunt behind is your own dog. I have hunted both flushers and pointers (i liked the pointer) but i didnt feel the dogs passion of the dog to hunt for me.

I now have my own 14 week old GSP and i cant wait to hunt behind my companion. So the bird i shoot we share together.

I hope you can hunt behind your own product and better off your best friend

Very well put Dakota Hunter, I agree there is something over and above pride and love. That your dog special.....Bob

Back