Flushers: Steady or Not?

JMBZ71

There seems to be two schools of thought with flushers:

1. A flusher should always be steady to wing and shot.

2. A flusher should be allowed to follow his instincts to allow him to get on downed birds as quickly as possible and minimize the chance of losing wounded birds (especially big running birds like pheasants).

Just wondering which school of thought you guys belong to?

JMB, I am a Brittany man, but I am going to toss in my .02 cents. To me, unless your dog is running in Field Trails. Where they could require the dog Flusher or Pointer to be steady to flush (wing) and shot. I believe it is in the best interest of the hunter to let his dog follow the bird on the flush. You hit it, when you said it cuts down on the loss of cripples. Example. I have a buddy his dog is trained for AKC Field Trails. He lost 2 birds in one day. Because his dog did not get to the bird quick enough. Tony is trained to release at the flush. He didn't lose a bird all last season and only 1 bird the season before. We hunt about 5 days a week during the season. Which normally is around 30 or so days. Then the weather usually stops us for the Ranchers won't let us hunt in the snow. The birds are to easy to find and shoot. To the Ranchers it is unfair sportsmanship. I rest my case---Bob

Last edited:
My labs will follow the bird when it flushes and will come back when told no-bird (a hen or a miss). I think it does help with getting cripples found. One time that I wish they would hold is when I am hunting higher ground above them. Like walking a road bed and the dog is working the ditch. Because of the angle you do not always get a shot because the dog is too close.

Finaly somthing we dont have to agree on, I used to be the same way, Personaly I don't care either way. But if you came to training and shoot over all the young un steady dogs and then the steady dogs, you will be amazed after a while how many birds have to be passed up for unsafe shots. And you will be suprised how well adapt a dog is to marking the fall and tracking down any crips. It also alows for you to relax knowing your dog is not playing in to the equaision of the shot, and take better shots and therefore less crips anyway. You can also release the dog early if you feel it will have nikes on. So If you want to put in the time I like the steady dog at least a Springer anyway, they get to the falls so fast anyway. You know old grandpa dog though probably doesn't factor in to the shot either, So I guess if the dog is fast and always in the way yes, Old or fat and slow No.

Interesting Topic, It should strike up a bit of intrest I would think.

I had my reply ready until I read FC's and it made me think a little more on the subject. Ruby is a lab that developed pointing. She will follow a flushed bird until called off. And no, I don't lose birds. And yes, I have to pass on some shots.

FC's comments made me think of something else Ruby does. If we are hunting near a fence line, Ruby will not cross a fence by herself. She waits until I either pull or step on the wire to let her cross. So even though she's forced to wait under this conditon for a retrieve, she still does a great job of finding the downed bird.

I can see advantages to both, but I kind of like to watch the dog follow the bird hoping to catch it before it hits the ground.

I think the idea of having a steady dog has much merit, though my 2 labs aren't steady. Frankly, I am awed by the thought of any dog actually being steady...but, it must be possible! My first instinct was to say the same thing the first couple of guys said...get on the birds asap, which is how my dogs behave, and it works pretty well, but there are times they chase a birds that I miss, and then I shoot a different bird and I have no dog in the immediate area for a 30 or 60 seconds. Luckily, I don't lose many birds, but I also would agree that there are some iffy shots that are presented when the dog is chasing a low-flying rooster, and it seems like there are lots of those low-flyers...for no other reason, the steady thing seems like a good idea, but I think that will have to be considered when I acquire my next pup.

I should add I have Tony trained to 3 sets of commands. He loves to be trained, so I did it all. He is trained to whistle, voice and hand. Therefore, he is trained well in "WHOA". When he chasing a bird and I miss or a hen. Just one long blast on the whistle and he will stop and look for me to give him the next command. I usually do it by hand showing him the direction I want to go. He is free to hunt wherever he wants from there. Voice commands in the field I find are poor at most. The dog cannot hear me most of the time.---Bob

I personally like my dogs to be there when the birds hit the ground. There are times when I have to pass on shots as others have said, but I HATE losing birds. I'd rather pass on a questionable shot than lose a crippled rooster that is certain to die. My dogs following flying birds concerns me when there are inexperienced hunters around, but at the same time, inexperienced hunters seem to cripple more birds than they kill. Cripples don't have a chance when the dog is there waiting for them to hit the ground.

Here is something that has not been discussed in this thread. "HUNTING CONDITIONS." Out here in Washington the early season is really rough. As we have not had Rain for sometimes more than a month. Those extremely dry, dusty conditions makes it rough for a dog to pick up scent. Like my buddy that lost 2 birds in one day. It was so darn dry it was very hard for the dogs to scent anything. Just another reason why I like my dog close when the birds hits the ground. Tony goes through his water which I carry in no time. I have 46 ounce water bottles so they are not small.---Bob

You guys are all making some good points. When I raised the question, I hadn't even considered you guys with pointers that release at the flush or on command. I don't think there's a right or wrong approach -- only what works best for you.

So, here's my next question...

If you've trained your dog to be steady, do you ever allow him to hunt with dogs that are not? It seems to me that your steadied dog would soon learn there's no reward for hunting steady if other dogs are beating him to downed birds that he flushed or pointed.

Here is something that has not been discussed in this thread. "HUNTING CONDITIONS." Out here in Washington the early season is really rough. As we have not had Rain for sometimes more than a month. Those extremely dry, dusty conditions makes it rough for a dog to pick up scent. Like my buddy that lost 2 birds in one day. It was so darn dry it was very hard for the dogs to scent anything. Just another reason why I like my dog close when the birds hits the ground. Tony goes through his water which I carry in no time. I have 46 ounce water bottles so they are not small.---Bob

Excellent point Bob! Having a dog that is under the birds when they're hit is advantageous when scenting conditions aren't favorable.

If you've trained your dog to be steady, do you ever allow him to hunt with dogs that are not? It seems to me that your steadied dog would soon learn there's no reward for hunting steady if other dogs are beating him to downed birds that he flushed or pointed.

I feel bad for guys that have steady dogs that take them out with mine. I understand exactly what you're saying and I can say that I understand how they feel at the same time. I've taken a few people over the years that have flushing labs (not trying to put labs down here). I can appreciate a close-ranging flushing dog just as much as the next guy, BUT I sure like to take a moment to enjoy each and every point. I feel bad for my pointing dogs when a flusher comes in and breaks up the point. I would imagine the owners of steady dogs don't appreciate it much when mine take off after a bird as soon as it takes flight. I still expect my dogs to continue pointing regardless and I'm sure they expect their dogs to remain steady as well. I'm interested to see others' responses to your latest question! Keep em' coming.

I really think it comes down to the hunting conditions and situations. If I were field trialing my dogs or hunting in large groups of people I can see where it would be an advantage to be steady to the shot. Also if I were hunting in more wide open territory I would probably look towards doing it.But I hunt either by myself or with one other person and if the flusher does it's job right they get the birds up quick. I have never had a bird get up with the dog in the line of sight. What I have had happen, as stated above, is to have a bird land in very thick cover during dry conditions which can really put the dog at a disadvantage if there is no scent and the bird is burrowing through chest high grass or cattails as happened this year when the sloughs dried up. In that case I really like the dogs on them as fast as they can get on them. But watching the dogs that are steady to shot is a really neat thing to see.

I agree with those that have said it depends. You can argue both ways. As far as hunting a steady dog with one that isn't I would say in most cases no but some dogs you can. Personally I like a steady but to each their own.

I like a steady dog simply for the safety of the dog. There's a lot hunters who only see the bird and not the dog after the flush. jmo

JMBZ71, I know a lot of guys that wished they had never let there steady dog go hunting with one that is not. Some come out Ok. But a lot of them get competitive and break for the bird as soon as the other dog does. Dog's are competitive and they can stand just so much being out done.---Bob

Last edited:
You guys are all making some good points. When I raised the question, I hadn't even considered you guys with pointers that release at the flush or on command. I don't think there's a right or wrong approach -- only what works best for you.

Exelant ?, It depends on the dog , A dog that is trust worthy Like my Odie I would for a few birds to practice Honers,We do it all the time in training,Pluss if they don't stay steady in trials you go home empty handed and out your $ your done at the instant the dog broke, see ya, addiose, or as the judge say's, Thank you. He stay's steady even when the gunner at a trial droped the bird 5' from him. but I would want to run him by himself too or with another dog that is steady so he can be rewarded.
When both or all dogs are steady only the dog that flushes the bird is released for the retrieve. the others have to honor, if it goes right. If the flusher does not see the fall and this happens, the other dog will most likely see it and can be released in hunting,
At a trial or hunting as well, this is where your other hard work comes in, The blind retrieve, you handle them to the retrieve. It is realy cool to see all this work, most times for new comers that see a good one do all this there jaw drops some and reply thats awsome.
Once a unsteady dog is flushing and chaseing how is he or she being rewarded when say all unsteady dogs in the field, dog A always hunting hard flushing birds, dog B always gets the retrieve.
It can work verry well to solve allot of issues and if your dog has a nose and is a true bird finder it will not have problems retrieving the bird, like I said You can in some cases release the dog early, Most dogs we have steady around a year to 1 1/2.
And lets be realistic as well there is not anyone that has not lost a bird from time to time, it happens to the best of em.There will be no more birds lost with a good steady dog than a unsteady dog. I mean good one. Some dogs are great at everything but Marking the fall, they vere off or come up short most or all the time, this is the dog that will be a good unsteady canidate, and will never win in AKC ESS field trials but will be the most amazing hunting companion in the filed.
On the other hand steadyness is the only true way to find if your dog is a true Marker and can pass on those genes in off spring.
I would want a pup out of a dog that buttons 100 yard retrieves vs one that cant mark a fall 20 yards away unless it is under the bird. We see this all the time. I believe true Marking is a inherited trate like many others, and can't be proven throwing retrievs in the yard or shooting birds with a dog in toe behind the fall.
If we work dogs togeather the right way at different intervals both steady and un steady can get plenty of work in. I am not saying that all dogs unsteady should not be bred or are not any good either so don't go there please. I know there is many great markers out there that are unsteady, Just that to find them, you have to do some form of keeping the dog steady, some drill or somthing. Most guy's won't give a hill of beans about some of this stuff and that is known and respected, but as a serious hobby breeder I factor all these things in. I want to produce this type of dog. This is one of the most interesting post to come accross in a while, Thanks

Last edited:
I personally train my dogs to follow the birdin the air until the dog is called off. I think a HUNTING dog should be able to follow the bird, make a quick find and retrieve. I understand Field Trial dogs are trained different, but it's a lot different terrain when your hunting in marshes that are 8 feet tall and I can't even see the bird fall!!! I atleast want my dog to be able to see the bird and find it fast.

At a trial or hunting as well, this is where your other hard work comes in, The blind retrieve, you handle them to the retrieve. It is realy cool to see all this work, most times for new comers that see a good one do all this there jaw drops some and reply thats awsome.

FC, I'm gonna try to make it to an ESS Field Trial this spring. Sounds like it would be fun to watch both the dogs and handlers work.
Btw... What is the typical entrance fee for a field trial? Thanks for your input!

Back