Flooding

Down here in NE KS it's raining consitently week after week. At what point does the rain need to go away to prevent the drowning effects? Late May, early June? If I'm gonna spend some coin on a good dog I need some birds!

P4E, how you be? Long time no chat.

Well in Charles Mix Cty SD (South Central) we got full dugouts and pot holes and creeks but ditches are dry and not too much standing water elsewhere so ideal. I suppose best weather for hatch would be 90 degrees all June and no rain.

I believe a cool rain season is worse than a warm rain season on chicks.

Now up North and East of Aberdeen, all the way to Canadian border, I suspect they will be dealing with water levels for some time.

DakotaZeb can you comment?

It's rained for the last 3 days in NE KS, rain in forecast for next 5 days! So much for Turkey hunting this weekend.

Just hoping that the sun comes out, beefs up the cover and provides for the nesting season.

With the exception of the Jim River bottom, flooding should not be an issue at this point in SD. Looks like we will have nice weather this week as we go into nesting, with the peak a 2 or three weeks out. Suprised at the number of roosters seen in McCook and Minnehaha Counties yesterday. Usual mega sighting between Mitchell and the Platte winner Bridge.
I was astounded by the number of Chickens and grouse I saw while turkey hunting also.
________
BMW K75C

Last edited:
I just read in Agweek Mag that all South Dakota Counties for the first time in 8 years declared adaquate spring moisture levels. Meaning NO MORE DROUGHT!

This is significant and should mean much to the hatch because moisture means cover and cover means undisturbed nesting.

Last edited:
Back