First trip to Montana for Sharptail and Huns.

I am not going to Montana to hunt sharpies or pheasant. Montana’s conditions were similar to North and South Dakota. Meaning hot and dry. There are obviously some isolated places that received more rain then others. But as a whole if the sharptail grouse broods could make it through these conditions then the grouse in the Midwest made it too. I think pheasants broods will follow this similar trend. That is my reasoning for reports from Montana sharptail hunters. Thanks for the reports guys. Much appreciated.

I know several guys there now, they’re doing good. Where there’s cover, there’s birds…and hunters. If you can access private ground, you’re good. Good to know the birds did OK…grasshoppers helped. I’ll check in in a day or two, leaving in the am.

Who would have thought that all those grasshoppers that were stuck on my pickup front end would be so important in a drought year like this. Phenomenal hatch of hoppers this year! If you shoot a first year rooster or sharptail be sure to give a shout-out to that important bug. Those birds made it because of the hoppers. No question in my mind

Headed into the hills, they can’t hay there; followed the edge of wheat, that dropped down into coulees…lots of birds…including young ones. Huns, too. Saw over 50 grouse within 90 minutes…8847 steps according to my phone. Saw 3 coveys of Huns, large coveys. Where there’s cover there’s birds.

Headed into the hills, they can’t hay there; followed the edge of wheat, that dropped down into coulees…lots of birds…including young ones. Huns, too. Saw over 50 grouse within 90 minutes…8847 steps according to my phone. Saw 3 coveys of Huns, large coveys. Where there’s cover there’s birds.
BB - Reports like that are making me regret my decision to not go west. ☹️😂

I hunted Sharptails and Huns in NE Montana the past 10 days. Surprisingly, there is a terrific population in the area I hunted. I say "surprisingly" because of the nasty drought. I am very concerned with the pheasant population though. Did not see very many ringnecks!
That's really warm weather to be hunting in.

Oh yeah-- 48 to 72 degrees F is tough. If you and/or your dog cannot handle that, perhaps you need to find a new sport.
It never ceases to amaze me why some people are critical of others to the point of arrogance.
Lets see the sparks fly now!!!

Oh yeah-- 48 to 72 degrees F is tough. If you and/or your dog cannot handle that, perhaps you need to find a new sport.
It never ceases to amaze me why some people are critical of others to the point of arrogance.
Lets see the sparks fly now!!!
I don't hunt September. Too hot,birds are young and inexperienced. I don't hunt until oct.

Anybody have any good sharptail grouse reports from Montana? Bird numbers Up ? Down ?
Plenty of sharptails. Walk and you find birds. The huns I saw where in big coveys 20+birds .but only saw 3 coveys.
There where young pheasants, some looked 5-7 weeks old, small as bob white quail.
I don’t get out here every year, but from those who do , the birds seem normal to slightly above last year.8FD0B43C-D6A9-4E10-9AE7-41081293575C.jpeg26AB0EEE-7894-467A-A60E-94CFA2469B9C.jpeg

Nice pics, glad you found birds. I will be headed out near Glendive next week, just wondering what general part of the state you were hunting?

We were hunting on days it got to 90 or so last week; good news, it was low ‘40’s some mornings…get your 3 hours in before the heat, maybe push a bush or two midday, then take the dogs for an evening walk in the evening before crating them…not ideal, but doable. We hunted MT for 3 days, then came back into ND. Contacted birds in 90% of all fields we hunted, maybe higher. Huns are strong this year, both states. Today was day 8, wrapped it up around 10:30, had a good morning. My buddy left with a bunch of birds, we ate a good many on the trip, and I’m marinating 5 grouse and 5 Huns now for supper…a new pal
arrives around 5. We averaged around 7 birds per day, some days better, some worse. Good #’s, cover was better than I feared. Been a great trip, 5 more days to go.

Back