First time Bobwhites

COWAN

Took a friend out to Kansas hunting pheasant, ended up on an old homestead and found a small covey of Bobwhite quail! I took only 2 from the covey due to its small size, but what a complete thrill to be able to harvest such an interesting and beautiful bird.

I have harvested California Valley quail Back home but only once. I can see how serious quail hunters become so addicted to them. Perhaps I'll take a trip to Nevada this winter and hunt Gambels quail. Yep, I think I will.

Bobs are sure a lot of fun. And I don't think there is a better bird to work a young pointing dog on than wild Bobs.

I might just have to swing through Kansas on my way home from SD to harass some bobs with my mutts, don't call the sheriff on me Steve.:D Congrats on the quail COWAN!:thumbsup:

Also, don't expect those gambels quail to be cooperative like bobs. If you think pheasants can run just wait until you see those desert quail.:eek:

I heard there was an executive order that now allows Bobs to be hunted with flushing dogs :eek:

I am going to make a trip out to CO some time this fall to hunt Scalies.
They look like they live in perfect, big open country for me to turn Indy loose on. Never hunted them, looks like fun.

Steve, a lot of that country is boot country for the dogs. If they haven't worn boots before, better get them accustomed before you go. The pear out there lays flat on the ground and may find you carrying a dog to the truck if they react negatively. Cowan, glad you had some success! It's too bad that every year isn't the "best" year for both man and dog!

Steve, a lot of that country is boot country for the dogs. If they haven't worn boots before, better get them accustomed before you go. The pear out there lays flat on the ground and may find you carrying a dog to the truck if they react negatively. Cowan, glad you had some success! It's too bad that every year isn't the "best" year for both man and dog!

Well, the quail were a nice little bonus! The phez hunting was great even though all the locals said there aren't many birds. Compared to Utah the hunting was very good. Limits of pheasants every day and could have bagged many, many more. The quail however were very few, but then again I was not targeting them. All in all a very pleasant experience with a good friend, hunting out of state. Also another bonus was how well the local farmers and business people treated us, I did not want to leave Kansas.

Troy, thanks for the heads up, Indy has worn boots several time. Some of the areas in Montana had a lot of cactus on the ground.

Also, don't expect those gambels quail to be cooperative like bobs. If you think pheasants can run just wait until you see those desert quail.:eek:

Amen to that--I was in the AF at Luke AFB in the early 70's and hunted those baby roadrunners(we called them that because they ran and ran and ran some more)---lived in the barracks so no dog. Still was a big fan of them, lots of good memories there--come to think about it bird hunting has created a lot of really good memories for me and continues to do so---lucky lucky me.:D

I might just have to swing through Kansas on my way home from SD to harass some bobs with my mutts, don't call the sheriff on me Steve.:D Congrats on the quail COWAN!:thumbsup:

Just follow dad and I home and I'll put you on a covey; heck, duckn66 lives 30 miles away and apparently knows better than I where the coveys are this season, but I've managed to get on some every time I went lookin' for 'em. If you decide you want to do it, let me know and I'll take Tuesday (16th) off.

COWAN. Here's a pic of a successful gambels quail hunt a few years back. The more cactus the better, the dogs didn't seem to mind it too much.

I heard there was an executive order that now allows Bobs to be hunted with flushing dogs :eek:

I am going to make a trip out to CO some time this fall to hunt Scalies.
They look like they live in perfect, big open country for me to turn Indy loose on. Never hunted them, looks like fun.

No need to go outside the state - we've got em here, drive would probably be the same. :cheers:

Back