First Duck Hunt

JMc

Super Moderator
Believe it or not...I've never been duck hunting. I went to Tyler to see my boys and after hunting at my sons preserve on Wednesday (quail, chukar, and phez), they decided to go duck hunting on Thursday morning. Here they are (I'm the photographer) with the morning bounty. Had a blast!

IMG_0572.jpg

That is just plain OUTSTANDING JMc. What a great pic. I'm sure memories that will last a lifetime.

We had a fantastic time for two weeks at my place in SoDak. Shot our deer and slayed the ducks. Is it OK to share few pics on your thread?

great pics, shooting your maxus i assume, i took my boy out friday and we shot a limit each, he will never forget that.

Jim,

Great picture. Glad that you were able to spend some quality time with your boys.

Post all the pics you guys want. Yes, I did shoot the Maxus then switched off with Ross and shot his SBE II...I'll stick with the Maxus for my old tired shoulder.
By the way, from left to right, it's Grant, Brent, and Ross. Grant is the Asst. Pro at Oakhurst Golf Club in Bullard, Brent runs Double G Sportsman (www.ggsportsman.com), and Ross is ... hmmm; I never know!

On a side note: mom, aka, the wifey was in Uruguay for the week. I think the thought of camo just pushed her over the edge...

Thats good waterfowling right there!
What species are you guys hunting?

Species ? If it walked like a ducked, quacked like a duck, or looked like a duck, I shot it. Brent is the duck expert and named them. Mostly Gadwall and Shovelers; one Woody and a couple of Ringnecks is what I was told. Several in the freezer and the rest to the jerkey house.

Very Nice group of quackers right thar. So you've moved to the dark side????
Welcome to the addiction.:thumbsup:

As an avid upland bird hunter, I never believed duck hunting could be fun; so you may be right about crossing to the dark side.

Uruguay? They are a bird hunting paradise and a dream destination. If I were you I would have joined her...LOL

Here's a few pics of the SoDak hunt

southdakota2011071.jpg

southdakota2011084.jpg

southdakota2011055.jpg

southdakota2011091.jpg

southdakota2011006-1.jpg

southdakota2011001.jpg

southdakota2011070.jpg

southdakota2011004.jpg

ryanseastriverbuck.jpg

southdakota2011018.jpg

southdakota2011012.jpg

That's a lot of meat there onpoint! I'll take one of those does off your hands if you don't have the freezer space.:D

Quick side question, how common are mandarin wood ducks in the states? I saw a pair this weekend in a creek and sat and watched them for a while, beautiful birds.

Never seen such a duck, couldn't tell you.

My son and I just had 4 doe tags. The bucks are other folks that were in deer camp. We just butchered 6 lambs and I have a 1400lb beef steer hanging right now. We will be good for the winter.

Quick side question, how common are mandarin wood ducks in the states? I saw a pair this weekend in a creek and sat and watched them for a while, beautiful birds.

do you live close to sonoma county?

Wow, Jmac . . . a limit of memories right there!

Back