First Bird Dog

I am getting my first bird dog. I am getting a Boykin Spaniel. I have my training program in place. I am joining a local retriever training group and I am a member at a local preserve so I can get the dog on birds as often as possible. As this is my first bird dog, I want to make sure I am prepared for the pup when he gets here (late fall to early winter). Do you have any suggestions on gear or equipment I will need, or is there anything specifically you find helpful in training your dog? I know I need a crate, whistles, leads, etc.

Bonding with the dog is key. You want that dog to want to do things for you, to look you in the eye as if asking "What can I do for you? Give me a job!" That takes time and patience and comes from hanging out together and having fun. If it's a pup, delay hunting and just let the dog grow up some and enjoy puppyhood. A dog's hunting instincts kick in at different times - some take longer, some shorter. Let them come at the dog's own speed - you can't push them out of your dog. Good luck and have fun.

Sounds like you are prepared for your new friendand have bouight some of the training aids necessary, at least for a new puppy. It appears you will miss the pheasant season (SD) as yoiur dog will be very young.

Your association with a retriever club is a great idea - a chance to learn from others and offer input as well.

Will you introduce your dog to birds or let a trainer do this? Imprinting the dog is always a good idea and gun introduction can be problematic if not done correctly.

I used a dog training book for my first dog and referred to other training aids and books for all my dogs - five so far.

Good Luck!

I will be introducing the dog to birds. Unfortunately I cannot afford professional training. I'm hoping the group I train with and some of the contacts I've made at the preserve will offer some assistance with the process, including introducing the dog to birds and the gun. I have good resources at home and have read quite a bit to prepare as much as I could.

I will be introducing the dog to birds. Unfortunately I cannot afford professional training. I'm hoping the group I train with and some of the contacts I've made at the preserve will offer some assistance with the process, including introducing the dog to birds and the gun. I have good resources at home and have read quite a bit to prepare as much as I could.

If it's a pup, delay hunting and just let the dog grow up some and enjoy puppyhood

What he said. The dog already has the genetic coding. All you have to do is make being with you fun, and work on general civilization instruction.

I've always found it is easier to prevent a pup from making mistakes than it is correcting it after the mistake is made. So, crate for sleeping/housebreaking/personal security/den for the pup. Open the crate and OUT the dog goes to the yard and after bathroom duties are taken care of, then back in the house to bond some more.

I believe (and it may be ONLY be me who believes it) that the more moderate stimulation of scents, shapes, movements the puppy experiences as a regular thing, the more adaptable it will be as an adult.

Gonna be fun.

Congratulations.

What he said. The dog already has the genetic coding. All you have to do is make being with you fun, and work on general civilization instruction.

I've always found it is easier to prevent a pup from making mistakes than it is correcting it after the mistake is made. So, crate for sleeping/housebreaking/personal security/den for the pup. Open the crate and OUT the dog goes to the yard and after bathroom duties are taken care of, then back in the house to bond some more.

I believe (and it may be ONLY be me who believes it) that the more moderate stimulation of scents, shapes, movements the puppy experiences as a regular thing, the more adaptable it will be as an adult.

Gonna be fun.

Congratulations.

More excellent advice.

Personally, I would never submit a dog to "professional training" by a stranger to the dog.

Last edited:
Personally, I would never submit a dog to "professional training."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I have a hard time understanding this. I train my own dogs becouse I love it, but had it not been for a local pro taking me under his wing I wouldn't be the trainer I am. Training to the level my dogs are at requires training 3-5 days a week, grounds engineered for different concepts, and live birds. I pay $50 a week in consultation fees, about $75 in gas, $20 in bird fees that adds up to $145 a week. $600 a month to a pro is a pretty good deal if you can't or do not want to do it on your own.

david0311

I am getting my first bird dog. I am getting a Boykin Spaniel. I have my training program in place. I am joining a local retriever training group and I am a member at a local preserve so I can get the dog on birds as often as possible. As this is my first bird dog, I want to make sure I am prepared for the pup when he gets here (late fall to early winter). Do you have any suggestions on gear or equipment I will need, or is there anything specifically you find helpful in training your dog? I know I need a crate, whistles, leads, etc.

Both Gatzby and Brit have given you excellent (and somewhat different) views--which you will find with knowledgeable dog people--I have been reading both on this forum for sometime and though we haven't always agreed I would respect and consider their advice---

However --for a first time owner--I would really consider help from a very-very knowledgeable amature (someone that others respect for there ability beware of someone who just claims to be a expert) there are more of them out there than actual experts--or I would really suggest a a pro in the the critical early training--you can make a solid foundation for the rest of you and your pup's life together or ruin him by mistake or bad advice-- Proper Intro to the gun and birds are critical --not especially hard to do properly--horrible problems to cure if cure is even possible if screwed up)
However that said be very selective in choosing a pro if you decide to try one--their are some out there that are pros in name only because they claim to be--

If a pro it out of the question--some of the videos programs out there are a very viable option--

Rick Stawski has a very good one, Mike Lardy's series is great, also heard good things about others like Evan Grahm among others--

Just get one you for young dogs to start with--more advanced programs like Rorems handling or Lardy's advanced programs are for much later down the line--

Good luck--have fun--ask questions-- :cheers::cheers:

Where are you located? Someone hear may be able to recommend help nearby you

david0311

Forgot to type in Kismet in first message as excellent advice as well--dc

I am certainly no expert, I don't even play one on tv. If it were me I would spend a little, and just get some basic obedience down and maybe introduction to gunfire. That is all I have ever done with my dogs, and I have had some pretty good ones. I don't have the patience or mentality that Gatzby does to do that kind of training. That takes a huge commitment. I am sure his dogs are waaaay better trained than mine and I would like to watch it in a pheasant field some day. I do agree with david that I would want to see an amateur, or pro for that matter work his dog, before I would let him mess with mine.

Both Gatzby and Brit have given you excellent (and somewhat different) views--which you will find with knowledgeable dog people--I have been reading both on this forum for sometime and though we haven't always agreed I would respect and consider their advice---

However --for a first time owner--I would really consider help from a very-very knowledgeable amature (someone that others respect for there ability beware of someone who just claims to be a expert) there are more of them out there than actual experts--or I would really suggest a a pro in the the critical early training--you can make a solid foundation for the rest of you and your pup's life together or ruin him by mistake or bad advice-- Proper Intro to the gun and birds are critical --not especially hard to do properly--horrible problems to cure if cure is even possible if screwed up)
However that said be very selective in choosing a pro if you decide to try one--their are some out there that are pros in name only because they claim to be--

If a pro it out of the question--some of the videos programs out there are a very viable option--

Rick Stawski has a very good one, Mike Lardy's series is great, also heard good things about others like Evan Grahm among others--

Just get one you for young dogs to start with--more advanced programs like Rorems handling or Lardy's advanced programs are for much later down the line--

Good luck--have fun--ask questions-- :cheers::cheers:

Where are you located? Someone hear may be able to recommend help nearby you

I am located in Des Moines, Iowa. I have gotten in contact with the local retriever club in the area. I've been invited to join their training sessions. I have gotten to know a guy in the group that runs the field trial events here and has trained his 2 current labs as well as prior retrievers. I have seen his dogs and the group train. I am confident that they are quality amateur trainers. Thanks for all the informative responses.

That's perfect. A good training group is worth it's weight in gold.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

It sounds like you're on your way. I own a Boykin and am enthused about the breed especially because he has been very forgiving about my many mistakes while training. The Boykin is non-stop prey driven retrieving machine. Enjoy the ride.

I am curious about your reasons for selecting a Boykin especially, or at least I'm guessing, that you don't have a bunch of them in Iowa. And, which breeder if you don't mind me asking...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I have a hard time understanding this. I train my own dogs becouse I love it, but had it not been for a local pro taking me under his wing I wouldn't be the trainer I am. Training to the level my dogs are at requires training 3-5 days a week, grounds engineered for different concepts, and live birds. I pay $50 a week in consultation fees, about $75 in gas, $20 in bird fees that adds up to $145 a week. $600 a month to a pro is a pretty good deal if you can't or do not want to do it on your own.

I think it's fine if the owner cannot or does not want to do the training. Also, I do no trialing.

I am certainly no expert, I don't even play one on tv. If it were me I would spend a little, and just get some basic obedience down and maybe introduction to gunfire. That is all I have ever done with my dogs, and I have had some pretty good ones. I don't have the patience or mentality that Gatzby does to do that kind of training. That takes a huge commitment. I am sure his dogs are waaaay better trained than mine and I would like to watch it in a pheasant field some day. I do agree with david that I would want to see an amateur, or pro for that matter work his dog, before I would let him mess with mine.

I've seen Carptom's dog afield and it is excellent, so whatever he does works.

I too couldn't afford to pay a professional to train my dog. I studied books and watched videos. For me, I read the books Game Dog and Gun Dog by Richard Wolters. I know if a professional were to see my dog in the field they could nit pick him but for me, he does great. I think it was better for both myself and Cody to spend the time together and teach each other as we went along. I'm far from a professional, but my advice would be to get the basic obedience commands down first before going to the advanced gun dog training. One of the things Richard Wolters advises is to not use anything but bumpers for training, no tennis balls. I introduced my dog to a bumper with pheasant feathers and a wing attached so he could get used to having a bird in his mouth. Spend as much time as you can together and you'll both get better as time goes on.

It sounds like you're on your way. I own a Boykin and am enthused about the breed especially because he has been very forgiving about my many mistakes while training. The Boykin is non-stop prey driven retrieving machine. Enjoy the ride.

I am curious about your reasons for selecting a Boykin especially, or at least I'm guessing, that you don't have a bunch of them in Iowa. And, which breeder if you don't mind me asking...

I went and checked out quite a few different breeds prior to selecting a Boykin. I preferred a smaller breed, that was about the only parameter I had, and by small, I mean something under 60 or so pounds. I was leaning toward a flushing breed, but I visited several kennels that offered pointing breeds. After visiting all of them my gut instinct was to choose a Boykin, so I did. There was nothing scientific about the decision at all. I am getting my dog from J & L Boykins out of Hammond, Wisconsin.

Back