Finished Dog Questions

MrRedNWhite

Hello - new to the forum and first time post.

In the next month or so I am planning to get a well-started or finished dog - leaning towards Setter or Brittany, ideally 2-3.5 years old.

My main questions are how can I make the transition easiest on the dog? It will (very likely) be going from a kennel dog to inside dog - what should I expect? Crate, potty, chewing, obedience, etc. From everyone I've talked with, I should expect the dog to be fairly well socialized with strangers and other dogs, but what about public spaces, kids, etc.?

As far as hunting does, should I hunt as soon as possible, or should I let the dog get adjusted to the new living area and me first? Would it be best to start with some obedience/handling classes so the dog gets to know me?

I will take any advice I can get - hunting, house, socialization, etc - this will be my first dog. Gear, handling, training tips - anything is welcome.

SPEND TIME AT THE KENNEL WITH THE DOG AND ITS TRAINER.
I would second that! The owner/trainer should be able to answer all of your questions. They will know the dog better than any of us on this forum.

I have done this a couple times in the past. My experience was to spend as much time as possible with the dog. I took mine with me as much as I could. It is important that the dog bonds with you.if you spend a lot of time with them it will make the transition easier. If you bring it home only to keep it in a kennel or a pen you may be in for more of struggle. I have a buddy that spent a lot on a two year well bred lab. He had a couple small kids and a demanding career. The dog ended up being a disappointment…. An expensive one.

I have done this a couple times in the past. My experience was to spend as much time as possible with the dog. I took mine with me as much as I could. It is important that the dog bonds with you.if you spend a lot of time with them it will make the transition easier. If you bring it home only to keep it in a kennel or a pen you may be in for more of struggle. I have a buddy that spent a lot on a two year well bred lab. He had a couple small kids and a demanding career. The dog ended up being a disappointment…. An expensive one.thab
Thanks for the response.

Yeah. I work from home and very active, run a lot, walk a lot, like to get out and do stuff around town. Fully plan on incorporating any dog into my life 100% as much as possible, but I don't want to stress it out with a big change too fast.

Is there anything specific I should out for, or plan for, to make the transition easier for the dog?

I would second that! The owner/trainer should be able to answer all of your questions. They will know the dog better than any of us on this forum.
Thanks for both of your responses.

So, I've talked to a few trainers with dogs 4+ hours away. Would be difficult to do more than 1 visit beforehand. But the other trainer I've talked with is about an hour away. That dog is getting finished up in the next month or so and the trainer seemed very open to meeting before that for introductions.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah. I work from home and very active, run a lot, walk a lot, like to get out and do stuff around town. Fully plan on incorporating any dog into my life 100% as much as possible, but I don't want to stress it out with a big change too fast.

Is there anything specific I should out for, or plan for, to make the transition easier for the dog?
I assume you are getting them from someone who has multiple dogs. I have inside dogs and got my last one from a guy that had multiple dogs he was training. He was 18 months old and basically a field trial washout. House breaking took a bit as he was used to dropping wherever he was and two year old poop isn’t like a puppies. Lots of patience and attention and he will be fine. You will more than likely give him more attention than he was used to as one of many. He will be out of sorts and probably sad at first…But once he learns to trust you and bonds he will bond hard. I put mine down a couple years ago and miss him everyday. I went back to the puppy route a couple years back but would get a started dog again. Patience and love and you will be fine.

How much you gonna spend? Big gap between $3k and $6,500. Spend as much time as possible. Once you feel you can control the dog I’d go ahead and hunt it. Lot going on for both you and the dog. Be patient, it’s not a robot, don’t think dollar signs while hunting, lots of hunts ahead to enjoy.

I assume you are getting them from someone who has multiple dogs. I have inside dogs and got my last one from a guy that had multiple dogs he was training. He was 18 months old and basically a field trial washout. House breaking took a bit as he was used to dropping wherever he was and two year old poop isn’t like a puppies. Lots of patience and attention and he will be fine. You will more than likely give him more attention than he was used to as one of many. He will be out of sorts and probably sad at first…But once he learns to trust you and bonds he will bond hard. I put mine down a couple years ago and miss him everyday. I went back to the puppy route a couple years back but would get a started dog again. Patience and love and you will be fine.
I'm talking to several different types of people. Found a few guys that run big operations and need space for new dogs. Talked to one breeder that isn't going to breed a dog and wants to place it. Found a few guys that seem to get field trial washouts and finish them up. All seem (seem being operative word) to have good dogs with extremely solid fundamentals and some higher level polishing work (some backing, some forced to retrieve, etc.).

I appreciate the thoughts on house training though. Kinda figured that, but will keep in mind and look for some adult dog house training resources.

How much you gonna spend? Big gap between $3k and $6,500. Spend as much time as possible. Once you feel you can control the dog I’d go ahead and hunt it. Lot going on for both you and the dog. Be patient, it’s not a robot, don’t think dollar signs while hunting, lots of hunts ahead to enjoy.
I don't have a hard and fast limit, but that range is kind of what I'm thinking. Depends on the dog and breed. Some guys put a real premium on their finished dogs, which I understand - this is their livelihood. But I've also found a few breeders who have decided to not breed a dog for whatever reason (maybe a genetic carrier, maybe didn't pass a higher hunt test) and really just want to find a good home that also hunts.

It is a fair bet that a finished dog is crate trained. That goes a long ways towards potty training and being house broke.

As for a 4 hour trip go there for a weekend and then go back for another weekend. That gas and lodging will be a small sacrifice for reward. Hell it may save you from making a bad purchase.

It is a fair bet that a finished dog is crate trained. That goes a long ways towards potty training and being house broke.

As for a 4 hour trip go there for a weekend and then go back for another weekend. That gas and lodging will be a small sacrifice for reward. Hell it may save you from making a bad purchase.
Thanks! I'm still actively looking. No one seems to be cagey about answering questions - where they got the dog, why, what training they've done, working style, gaps, etc. And yes, totally agreed with you - that trip will be worth it and I intend to do it.

Back