Finally Some Warm Weather!

Dakotazeb

The past few days have been in the upper 30's to mid 40's and the forecast is for much of the same through this coming Thursday. The snow has really gone down and today when I was running the dog in the country you are starting to see some ground finally peeking through the snow. A welcome reprieve for all the wildlife. Four more days of this weather should really open up the fields so the pheasants can to some food easier. I might even get rid of all the snow on my roof! The skies have been a little overcast so the sun hasn't been out like it should. Today it didn't clear off until 2:00 PM. Windy today and tonight with gust up to 60 MPH. Spring is on the way! :cheers:

AMEN!!!!!!! it's about time. We haven't been above freezing but only once all winter and it was raining on that day. One long tough winter. Not the long cold snap, where it doesn't get above -20 below for a day time high for 10 days in a row or more but not getting above freezing all winter long gets very old. Lets hope that spring comes soon and we have good hatching weather.

AMEN!!!!!!! it's about time. We haven't been above freezing but only once all winter and it was raining on that day. One long tough winter. Not the long cold snap, where it doesn't get above -20 below for a day time high for 10 days in a row or more but not getting above freezing all winter long gets very old. Lets hope that spring comes soon and we have good hatching weather.

Don't you think this January thaw came in Feb this year?

Don't you think this January thaw came in Feb this year?

It should be warming up about now. I have hunted snow geese in early March and there has been open water. We never had a single nice day all winter. You know, sunny, no wind and above freezing. It's hovered in the single digits to below zero all winter long. If there is going to be open water in early March this year. The weather best stay these temps.

Yea but it can change in a hurry. Things under the snow did not freeze as bad either cause of the fluff and depth of snow. The frost is only down 18" in places around hrere. And the Ice is 16" thick when it can be 3' or more on a no snow year.:thumbsup: I fear bad flooding this year.

Just talked to my neighbor in Charles Mix and he said snow is near gone and there's Canadian Honkers all over the place. There's a pocket of open water where the water goes under the road on the dike, crossing Lake Andes. They are sitting in the water and on the ice. If these temps continue, we could have open water in early March.

Way up north, we also have very little frost. When putting round bales into the cattle and horses. It's not froze under the bales and when plowing in undisturbed areas to get to bales. The sod rolls right up with the skid loader bucket. This could mean a lot of this will soak in, instead of run off into the water shed. That could mean much less flooding. Lets hope so. The Mississippi up here in northern Minnesota was up in the tree's over the banks when it froze. It will take near nothing to really do some serous flooding.

Onpoint

Got to love the upper midwest! Dont piss off old man winter yet he still could come back and hit us with cold weather and snow but let's hope not we need this kind of weather!

That warmup a couple weeks ago was really nice but it didn't last long. We got 17.7" of snow on Feb. 20-21 and temps are back in the deep freeze.

An article in today's Aberdeen News says that during the 3 month period from Dec. 1 to Feb. 28 we received 62.1" of snow. The most ever recorded. And despite that warm week of temps in the 40's this past February was one of the coldest ever. During the same 3 month period Watertown had 70.9" of snow.

Guess we will have to wait to see how the birds have faired through all this. I think they were doing pretty well up until the latest foot and a half of snow. Food sources have to be difficult to find right now. And the 10 day forecast isn't any better. Temps will remain well below normal (highs in the teens and lower 20's) and there is another round of snow coming in next Tuesday and Wednesday.

God, I'm tired of this crap. Can't wait until the wife retires in a couple years so we can head south for January & February. Plan to winter in Arizona where I can run some NSTRA trials while I'm down there.

That warmup a couple weeks ago was really nice but it didn't last long. We got 17.7" of snow on Feb. 20-21 and temps are back in the deep freeze.

An article in today's Aberdeen News says that during the 3 month period from Dec. 1 to Feb. 28 we received 62.1" of snow. The most ever recorded. And despite that warm week of temps in the 40's this past February was one of the coldest ever. During the same 3 month period Watertown had 70.9" of snow.

Guess we will have to wait to see how the birds have faired through all this. I think they were doing pretty well up until the latest foot and a half of snow. Food sources have to be difficult to find right now. And the 10 day forecast isn't any better. Temps will remain well below normal (highs in the teens and lower 20's) and there is another round of snow coming in next Tuesday and Wednesday.

God, I'm tired of this crap. Can't wait until the wife retires in a couple years so we can head south for January & February. Plan to winter in Arizona where I can run some NSTRA trials while I'm down there.

Good for you Zeb, I would love to get out of here for the coldest winter months myself. I hope you and your wife's retirement plans work out. You could also chase Quail in Arizona. Lots of good hunting I have heard.

Back