Female hunter looking for a gun

Michele

I'm looking for a 20g gun for pheasant/duck hunting. My problem is finding a gun to fit me my lenth of pull is 13.5. I understand I can buy a youth stock instead of having it cut to fit, will save me $.

I went to Cabela's (not helpful at all when it came time to buying another) traded in a Mossberg o/u Youth pump action which I hated, first off I hated the pump always jammed or just couldn't pump it fast enought to get another round off in time, second the barrel was to short. I made the mistake of taking a merchandise credit so i'm stuck buying from Cabela's. :confused:

Over the last several years I have used friends guns only to struggle with them. I really would like a gun to call my own & have fun shooting it!

So i'm looking for suggestions on guns that wont run me more then like $600. I'm finding the semi auto's are up in the thousands way out of my price range.

If I was going to buy my wife a new shotgun it would be a Weatherby SA08, they are within your price range and a very good and reliable gun (atleast from what I have been told). They are a semi auto and also come in a youth model not sure what the youth runs but the black synthetic 12's are like $450.

I have two shooting daughters, and my wife, we have tried quite a few variations. I would talk to Ithaca gun company. They have developed a specific stock for women, with a particular cast that fit women better than any gun previous, directs recoil slightly differently. LOP can be custom cut, at no charge on a new gun. If you can use a pump the 37 is a great gun, comes in light and ultralight models, either a pleasure to carry. Check out the writeup on their site. My daughters are very small even at 14, and we found an Ithaca option for them, in the uplands anyway, Ithaca Flues doubles, vintage 1910-1914 era, weigh 5.5# short overall length, even with 14" lop the short action allows them to feel in control. Wouldn't want to shoot heavy loads though for duck hunting. Good Luck.

I'm looking for a 20g gun for pheasant/duck hunting. My problem is finding a gun to fit me my lenth of pull is 13.5. I understand I can buy a youth stock instead of having it cut to fit, will save me $.

I went to Cabela's (not helpful at all when it came time to buying another) traded in a Mossberg o/u Youth pump action which I hated, first off I hated the pump always jammed or just couldn't pump it fast enought to get another round off in time, second the barrel was to short. I made the mistake of taking a merchandise credit so i'm stuck buying from Cabela's. :confused:

Over the last several years I have used friends guns only to struggle with them. I really would like a gun to call my own & have fun shooting it!

So i'm looking for suggestions on guns that wont run me more then like $600. I'm finding the semi auto's are up in the thousands way out of my price range.

Mish,

Sorry you had a bad experience with cabela's. I suggest you get on line, with cab's and request refund. That's if I read your post correctly. Meaning your not Happy with how Cabela's treated you. I have never had a problem with them being very fair with me. That said you have been Given great advice from FSC, And Old and New. FSC is Right , Benelli Is the way to go, A monte In 20 gauge should fit you fine. They come in youth models and have shimes and have 5 chock's. You should be able to find one on line in places like shotgun world and more. Good luck and let us Know what happens.:)

I would suggest a Mossberg 920. Gander Mountain sells them for $399.99 in a youth model. The lop is just what you are looking for. I have sold several of them and my customers seem to like them.

If I was going to buy my wife a new shotgun it would be a Weatherby SA08, they are within your price range and a very good and reliable gun (atleast from what I have been told). They are a semi auto and also come in a youth model not sure what the youth runs but the black synthetic 12's are like $450.

I'll second this. My wife has two in 12ga and her girl friend has one. They have fired 1000s of rounds out of them and they been flawless. They make a youth/lady's 20ga. a great gun and in your price range

Michele- not sure where you are but the Cabela's store in KC had some nice 20 guage auto's with what one would consider short stocks-

I have a Beratta AL2 and Browning Citori with short stocks- plus- most any competent gun shop can custom fit a gun for you- sometimes it's as simple as trimming the stock and putting a recoil pad to your arm length- win win situation

Cabela's is not a bad place- ask arround- I'd say someone at your store would tell you who to speak with- some are real hunters

Hi Michelle,
Following up on what Shadow said, I would check around your area to find a competent gunsmith/gun fitter--before buying any new gun. Check the internet/yellow pages or better yet, ask around at trap/skeet/sporting clays courses as they will typically know who is good in the area. I would think that one of them would be happy to meet with you beforehand to talk about the fitting process, what they could do, and approximately how much it might cost.

Length of pull (LOP) is just one of the factors that affect how well a gun will fit you. Just buying a "youth model" may not be the best approach. They typically have a shorter stock, but also a shorter barrel. Some that have synthetic stocks come with spacers to adjust the LOP.

A good gunfitter would be able to give you advice on which guns you could look for that might fit you better "off the rack", or that could be custom fit to you more easily-for instance, sawing off the stock and fitting a recoil pad (something that most 20 GA guns do not have). And, if you're looking for that single "do everything" shotgun, you might want to consider a 12 GA rather than the 20 GA.

Regards,
PairOfLabs

Back