Federal Wing Shok

Bird2485

New to Pheasant hunting. I bought Federal Wing Shok 1oz 7.5 shot 2 3/4" shells for my 20 gauge ithaca. Season opened this past saturday and i have gotten two birds so far. Both of the birds got absolutely creamed. I was probably around 15 or twenty yards from each bird when i shot them. The first bird was the worst because it was of course my first bird ever. I have been shooting a ton of trap to get ready for the season and i shot way too early and basically ruined the bird. My second bird ran a good ten feet before it flushed so i had the extra couple of seconds to get my head straight. I waited until it was up in the air a good 20 feet then i shot it. Once again though, one leg was basically gone, both breasts were shredded and one wing was hanging on by a thread. Am i missing some obvious part to this style of hunting or are these shells just too intense for pheasant? any input would be appreciated. Any suggestions for another load that might work better?

thanks

LOL,:D yeah you are just too excited, those ranges, you will blow them up with most anything. Wait till they are 25-30 yards, then shoot, take your time pull up follow through and squeeze, Only in heavy wind do you need to rush a shot. Stick with those shells though.
:cheers:

Last edited:
FC is correct. You are shooing too fast. Let the bird get a little further out. The shells you are using are excellent for pheasants. You might consider trying #6 shot. With less pellets you won't have to dig as many out of the birds.

I use federal wing shok all the time.. usually i start out with 4 shots and then later in the season when the pheasants are all jittery and take off before you get closer, i use 6 shots. 7.5 will blow them out if you are right there.

but other than that. i love those bullets and use them every year as well as i use the 150 grain federal shok for my 30.06 deer rifle as well.

I use federal wing shok all the time.. usually i start out with 4 shots and then later in the season when the pheasants are all jittery and take off before you get closer, i use 6 shots. 7.5 will blow them out if you are right there.

Have you got this right? You say you start out with 4 shot and then switch to 6 or 7.5 shot later in the season when the birds are jittery and you can't get as close. Normally it is just the opposite. Guys will use 6 shot early in the season and change to 4 shot later.

Have you got this right? You say you start out with 4 shot and then switch to 6 or 7.5 shot later in the season when the birds are jittery and you can't get as close. Normally it is just the opposite. Guys will use 6 shot early in the season and change to 4 shot later.

Ditto, I increase the size of shot as distance to the bird increases. Late season almost always = 4's or 5's

Ditto, I increase the size of shot as distance to the bird increases. Late season almost always = 4's or 5's

onpoint, I agree with you. But what birdman652001 said is the reverse of this. He said he shoots 4's early in the season and then swtiches to 6 & 7.5 later. I was questioning it he had this turned around.

I was agreeing with you:thumbsup:

Reading this, I am wondering what is he using for a Choke. If he is too tight like we usually are for trap. That would account for his blowing up the birds..........Bob

no youre right.. i had the numbers backwards. i start with 6s and go to 4s.

I am using a modified choke. i agree that it could be part of the problem. Another question i have for everyone, though this might not be the right part of the forum for it, is if you are using lead shot you cant make stock or broth with the bones or legs if they came in contact with the lead. Do most people just not make stock or is steel shot prefered when one is trying to use every part of the bird?
my plan for my birds before i crushed them was to turn the feathers into flies for fishing, demi with the bones, confit of leg, and sear the breasts. i didnt really think about the lead part of the equation until today. any comments or thoughts?

I am using a modified choke. i agree that it could be part of the problem. Another question i have for everyone, though this might not be the right part of the forum for it, is if you are using lead shot you cant make stock or broth with the bones or legs if they came in contact with the lead. Do most people just not make stock or is steel shot prefered when one is trying to use every part of the bird?
my plan for my birds before i crushed them was to turn the feathers into flies for fishing, demi with the bones, confit of leg, and sear the breasts. i didnt really think about the lead part of the equation until today. any comments or thoughts?

i wouldnt use Lead shots unless you are target or clay shooting. I always use Steel shots..

when i was in the LETC, they had a sign says NO LEAD SHOTS... yah lead isnt something you wanna eat after you shot lead through it. Steel Shots if youre gonna eat it. lead on rabbits or skunks, or any varmits.. i wouldnt care then.

confit of leg.

The problem you might have is the lack of fat. Pheasants do not have near the fat as a goose or duck, making it hard to simmer them in there own fat. You might make "en-confit" using duck fat but I think it would just end up tasting like duck. If that is what your going for try it. As far as the lead goes I am not too worried about it.

What do you shoot your deer with?

one bullet with little lead exposure isnt not a big deal compared to shots coming out of a shotgun shell with over many BBs coming out are lead.

when i butcher my deer, i always cut out the shot hole and anything else that has projectiled from that bullet gets thrown out. it would be a waste of alot of pheasant meat having 14 different lead holes in it.

I use Federal Power-Shok soft point 150 grain. love it.

Last edited:
I use lead shot every chance I get and I eat all those roosters without ever giving it any thought. Been eating birds shot with lead for over 60 years. I think this lead thing is getting blown way out of proportion. Like moellermd said, "What do you shoot your deer with?" I've eaten a lot of venison killed with lead bullets and I'm still going strong.

one bullet with little lead exposure isnt not a big deal compared to shots coming out of a shotgun shell with over many BBs coming out are lead.

when i butcher my deer, i always cut out the shot hole and anything else that has projectiled from that bullet gets thrown out. it would be a waste of alot of pheasant meat having 14 different lead holes in it.

Not that I buy into the whole lead in deer thing, but a deer shot with a rifle has on average 136 fragments of lead in it.

I use lead shot every chance I get and I eat all those roosters without ever giving it any thought. Been eating birds shot with lead for over 60 years. I think this lead thing is getting blown way out of proportion. Like moellermd said, "What do you shoot your deer with?" I've eaten a lot of venison killed with lead bullets and I'm still going strong.

my grandpa died from alzehimers and according to most dr's that he had visited said in older houses that had Lead paint or lead bullet that were in games and aluminum in older brand shaving creams has a big role in causing alzehimers.. maybe i heard wrong... I did not say this out of my mouth, just going by what i heard. its not a 100% cause to alzeheimers but does play a role in it.

Not that I buy into the whole lead in deer thing, but a deer shot with a rifle has on average 136 fragments of lead in it.

okay.. so when you shoot a deer.. you should be shooting to its heart.. where ribs not always have the most meat where you get most meat is backribs and neck and so fourth. most shots ive done has been through and through the chest. not often i take meat from ribs on a deer

but again i dont wanna Hi Jack this thread to talking about me. I know lead exposures arent good. back to the OP's question. thanks. i speak my opinion but lately seems like my opinion has to be a heated topic. ive been in law enforcement and even at training, they dont want LEAD shots in the indoor shooting range bc of the high exposures of causing health issues. Lead is cheaper and we do use them FOR out door training.

my opinion.. i like using steel shots instead of a lead shot for pheasants... non lead for deer has proven inaccuracy... lead is better for RIFLES. end of my discussion about LEAD. OP asked, I answered MY OPINION. moving on and you can express your opinion... why point fingers at me? geesh.

Last edited:
putting out RESOURCES!!!! end you guys drilling me with usless finger pointing at me.

A PDF about LEAD vs HEALTH.. read it.. for INDOOR shooting ranges.

http://www.nj.gov/health/surv/documents/firing_range_fs.pdf

want a debate...?

USA Today said:
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — North Dakota health officials are recommending that pregnant women and young children avoid eating meat from wild game killed with lead bullets.
The recommendation is based on a study released Wednesday that examined the lead levels in the blood of more than 700 state residents. Those who ate wild game killed with lead bullets appeared to have higher lead levels than those who ate little or no wild game.

The study, conducted by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the state health department, is the first to connect lead traces in game with higher lead levels in the blood of game eaters, said Dr. Stephen Pickard, a CDC epidemiolgist who works with the state health department.

A separate study by Minnesota's Department of Natural Resources previously found that fragments from lead bullets spread as far as 18 inches away from the wound

Pickard said the study found "the more recent the consumption of wild game harvested with lead bullets, the higher the level of lead in the blood."

Officials in North Dakota and other states have warned about eating venison killed with lead ammunition since the spring, when a physician conducting tests using a CT scanner found lead in samples of donated deer meat

I could very much likely be exposed to lead today.. as i only shot 4 deer in my life and havent shot one since two years ago...

Back