Favorite Pheasant Choke POLL

What is your Favorite Pheasant Shotgun Choke

• Total voters

bobeyerite

Here is a poll to find out which Shotgun Choke is your Favorite for Pheasant. Please only 1 Vote so make sure it is the one you use the most. You can state your reason in a regular post below..........Bob

Last edited:
I'll be the first to elaborate-

Modified choke, Beretta 391, 1 3/8 oz of high speed Fiochhi Golden Pheasants. If that doesn't kill birds, its my fault.

I use Fiocchi as well :thumbsup: But with an improved cylinder.........unless, of course a second bird gets up, then he will have to answer to the modified barrel. :eek:

I use Fiocchi as well :thumbsup: But with an improved cylinder.........unless, of course a second bird gets up, then he will have to answer to the modified barrel. :eek:

+1

of course sometime the first bird having ignored the IC has to answer to the modified. :rolleyes:

As some of you have probably heard form me before I have a Geco marked, Merkel built, 16SXS that I use most of the time. When I picked up this little two-shooter it was Full and Fuller. After some thought I sent it to Mike Orlen and had both barrels opened to LM and lengthened the forcing cones.

After shipping I second guessed that option for a while, but no more! With RGL or Win. Xpert 7.5s or 8s it is deadly on doves, works good on informal skeet, and I can usually run at least 23 or 24 at trap from the close line.
It handles 3s and 4s in steel very well for early season waterfowl over decoys and will put both barrels into 4 inches at 50 yards with Brenneke slugs.

With those same No.8 RGLs it is fine on quail, though if it is a slow pen-raised bird you might wanna give him a little flight time first. And lastly I can say that I have never took a shot at a pheaseant that flew away and I didn't know exactly why I missed it. LM in THIS gun is the way to go for me.

BobM.....sorry, didn't mean to talk so long

Mod for me, I never could kill anything with Imp cylinder

I'm a Light Mod, guy, it is just a shade tighten than the IC and a tad looser than a Reg. Mod. In my O/U I have LM first shot, Mod second. But If I miss the LM shot, I always shoot the mod, but I don't know why, I usually miss that one too.........Bob

Winchester SX2 26" modified, golden pheasant nickle plated 1 and 3/8ths of 7.5's or 6's. Double, Parker VH 28" imp/mod 2 1/2 " shells, copper dipped, #6, 1 ounce loads, mostly when I am hunting quail as well.

I'm a Light Mod, guy, it is just a shade tighten than the IC and a tad looser than a Reg. Mod. In my O/U I have LM first shot, Mod second. But If I miss the LM shot, I always shoot the mod, but I don't know why, I usually miss that one too.........Bob

Ditto for me Bob. I have a Carlson Extended Mod and Light Mod in my 3.5" camo Cynergy. Tried the Imp Cyl couldn't kill anything. Too many wounded birds.

I typically will use a IC out of my Benelli with my trusty Remington Express Long-Range 2 3/4 #6's. Later in the season, I do switch it out to a modified though.

And not to start an "I'm holier than thou" war, but I will hardly ever shoot at a rooster more than twice. If I can't drop 'em with two shots, it's my fault. There have been a few instances when I've been out in a field by myself, and a bird gets up in the wind changing direction though. It would be embarrassing if it were on video - me out in the field twirling around like a ballerina trying to get the bird down... :D

Last edited:
I prefer IC, but over the years have become proficient at missing with every choke configuration . . .

95+% of the time - Lt Mod in a Rem 870 Special Field 20ga w/1oz #5 Copper plated shot.

Occasionally - SKB 100 SxS IC/Mod 12 ga w/1 3/8oz #5or6 Copper plated shot.

I have a "Old Pattern Master" I use all the time in my SBE for waterfowl and pheasant I like pattern it makes. my other gun is a Rem. 870 wing master with a 30" stretch barrel.

Last edited:
steel

Ive been using a pattern master with large steel shot for over 10 years it has NO CHOKE AT ALL! Its great for late season pheasant hunting with steel SHOT LIKE 2 OR BB

WP, Then your vote should go under Cyclinder, that is the same as No Choke..........Bob

Back