Favorite O/U 16 gauge?

That's a heck of a price for a "new in box" 16 ga. White Lightning. Someone is going to get a great deal. Not sure I'd sell my used 16 ga. White Lightning for that and it's over 10 years old.

I agree completely. If this ends up being available let me know. Thinking it would be a good gift for my hunting buddy since he doesn’t have a 16, yet.

I also shoot a Browning Citori White Lightening w” 26in barrels. I use on Quail and pheasants. Found it new in the box on Gunbroker for $1500. Definitely recommend looking into one if you haven’t purchased anything yet.

Have you ever seen a Marlin (?) Model 90? 16ga, O/U, DT, not too heavy? Not mfg anymore but can be found occasionally. Saw one advertise just last week, can't remember where, GB maybe? They usually go for $500+/-.

I had a Marlin Model 90 16 gauge and it was a pleasure to carry. I never did get used to an over/under. So I now have a Remington 1100 16 gauge. The semiauto fits my shooting style much better. I sold off the Marlin about five years ago. Just a little seller's remorse. Yeah maybe I should have kept that one.

I was in the Beretta Gallery in Dallas last month, just to check the place out. I'd never been in one. The guys in the gunroom were very welcoming to questions and perusing. I asked one of them why Beretta wasn't in the 16 gauge market, and he said "I don't know, but you should just stand by you may be surprised in the next year or so"

Hopefully that means a Beretta 16Ga U/O, but hopefully, it's in the 680-690 lines so it's within reach of us normal people with mortgages and stuff.

I was in the Beretta Gallery in Dallas last month, just to check the place out. I'd never been in one. The guys in the gunroom were very welcoming to questions and perusing. I asked one of them why Beretta wasn't in the 16 gauge market, and he said "I don't know, but you should just stand by you may be surprised in the next year or so"

Hopefully that means a Beretta 16Ga U/O, but hopefully, it's in the 680-690 lines so it's within reach of us normal people with mortgages and stuff.
I see what you did there.

I was on a 16 o/u search for quite awhile and earlier this year settled on a 2018 (Shot Show special) Citori White Lightning. 28” barrel and weighs 6 lbs 14 oz. It was traded in at the local Scheels in new condition and was $1499.
Well worth that price - I love this gun. If the Citori‘s fit I highly recommend them.

I also like the B. Rizzini guns but they are harder to find - heard really good things about them. I also checked on the Franchi Instinct SL - they are pretty good guns but I like the Citori 16’s a lot!

Check out the 16ga.com site for a lot of good info on 16 gauges. There are 16’s for sale there too ;-)

I was on a 16 o/u search for quite awhile and earlier this year settled on a 2018 (Shot Show special) Citori White Lightning. 28” barrel and weighs 6 lbs 14 oz.

That's what I shoot now for pheasants and chickens. Quail or mixed bags I usually still grab one of my 16 ga pumps. I had a nice little Model 90 in 16 ga that I wish I'd kept, but sold it to pay for the Citori, cause I wanted to be able to shoot steel when I was required. Now I shoot bismuth for everything and wish I had that Marlin back. Regardless, I think a Citori is is a solid performer, with little in the way of problems, quality control issues or reliability concerns. There are certainly nicer O/U in 16 ga., but dollar for dollar I think a Citori is the best value, and probably about as cheap as I'd feel comfortable going in an O/U.

Last edited:
Even with a 1 oz load of # 8? What’s the difference between a 1 oz load out of a 20 vs a 1 oz load out of a 16? (Besides a better pattern coming out of a 16?)

2004 Citori Lightning Feather 16. Was my dads gun for about a week. He followed a pheasant flying over his head, pulled up to fire and gun slid off his shoulder, pulled the trigger and bingo, fractured his collar bone. Has been mine ever since. Felt sorry for dad, but turned out good for me...LOL.

Good friend of mine had a FAIR 16. Don't know the exact model, but it was superb.
Here's my "someday" gun. A Fausti Class LX 16. I can't decide on 28 or 30 inch tubes.
I mean, just look at it.....
View attachment 564
Get the 28 inch barrels

Back