Favorite O/U 16 gauge?

There was a problem of firing pins breaking on some 525 16a shotguns on the production run built about 8 years ago.

Last edited:
I own a Browning 16G white lightning. I love it. The issue with them not firing is a cleaning issue. Twice I have had mine stop firing When I take it home and take the stock off and clean out the mechanism that switches barrels and cocks each hammer, it works perfectly. I founf mine used but it was like brand new at a cabela's un library for $1,000! I would not sell it today for $1,000. It was well worth the investment. I like the gun and would recommend it to you.

If you could ever find one...

I inherited my father 2004 Citori Feather 16ga O/U. It's a dream to carry and shoot.

I have a 16ga. Citori Lightning Grade 1. It weighs around 6 & 3/4 lbs. and is very comfortable to carry. I like it a lot. Just wish I was a better shot with it.

Having trouble finding any locally. Really interested in the 16 gauge to bring this year for my pups first bird hunts
I just saw Joe's sporting Goods in St. Paul had a 16 gauge O/U Citori (new). I'm assuming you're in Iowa because of the "Hawkey" name so....might be worth a drive. Bought a couple 16's from them and great service.

I shoot a white lightning. I'm no Browning fan boy, in general I sneer at brand loyalty, but for an entry level, new, field grade O/U I think your safest bets are a Browning or a Beretta for performance, reliability, resale, and quality. I can not stand the grip Browning has on the 525, but if you don't mind it, they are as easy to find as a white lightning and much easier to find than a superlight. If you don't like heavy guns, or aren't strong, you might want to look into a superlight, all Citori's are pigs. Beretta, obviously, doesn't make a 16 ga O/U. I do not know enough about the rarer guns to advise you as to their merits, but Citori's are a pretty proven platform, with a very good record of performance, and you can find bird hunters all over who will affirm that.

Citori Lightning feather here. Like it a lot. Check out gun broker there are a couple of 16 ga options on there right now. Also do some checking for used stuff as there should be some deals out there if you look hard enough.

Citori Lightning feather here. Like it a lot. Check out gun broker there are a couple of 16 ga options on there right now. Also do some checking for used stuff as there should be some deals out there if you look hard enough.
I also have the 16 gauge Citori Lightning Feather and am very pleased with it. I had the LOP adjusted after fitting to me and it shoots very well. Check Reeds in Walker since they generally have a few in their rack.

Going to be on the lookout for a good deal on a used 16 gauge o/u. That Steven's 555e looks decent for the price, but truth be told I'd rather have a Browning.

We brought our first bird dog home not long ago, and he deserves to have his first bird shot over him with something other than my SBE2 camo duck gun!

Going to be on the lookout for a good deal on a used 16 gauge o/u. That Steven's 555e looks decent for the price, but truth be told I'd rather have a Browning.

We brought our first bird dog home not long ago, and he deserves to have his first bird shot over him with something other than my SBE2 camo duck gun!

I bought my grandson a Stevens 555E last fall. It's a decent gun but doesn't come close to comparing with my Browning Citori White lightning. You might check and see what the guy in Bob Peters post above this post wants for his 16 ga. Lightning.

Here's what I found out, just got a hold of my buddy a few hours ago. First of all it sounds like someone has already inquired about it, but I told him that if they aren't serious let me know because a member of a very good forum is interested(I love this site). It is a browning citori white lightning 16ga. 28 inch barrels. The "white" designates a coin finish on the receiver (silver looking). The gun is new in box, never fired. I asked why he is selling and he said that it was heavier than he'd like to carry at about 7 pounds. He did say that he waxed the stock. The gun was a shot show special from 2018. I know him well, and he is a really honest guy. He owns a number of double guns and I think would prefer to hunt roosters with an old SxS. He did say that it is a very nice gun and shoulders well, just that he prefers something around 5.75-6 pounds as a carry gun. Price is $1400

That's a heck of a price for a "new in box" 16 ga. White Lightning. Someone is going to get a great deal. Not sure I'd sell my used 16 ga. White Lightning for that and it's over 10 years old.

Here's what I found out, just got a hold of my buddy a few hours ago. First of all it sounds like someone has already inquired about it, but I told him that if they aren't serious let me know because a member of a very good forum is interested(I love this site). It is a browning citori white lightning 16ga. 28 inch barrels. The "white" designates a coin finish on the receiver (silver looking). The gun is new in box, never fired. I asked why he is selling and he said that it was heavier than he'd like to carry at about 7 pounds. He did say that he waxed the stock. The gun was a shot show special from 2018. I know him well, and he is a really honest guy. He owns a number of double guns and I think would prefer to hunt roosters with an old SxS. He did say that it is a very nice gun and shoulders well, just that he prefers something around 5.75-6 pounds as a carry gun. Price is $1400

Hmm I've got some thinking to do!

Back