Favorite hunting snack

Goose breast sandwich or jalapeno venison summer sausage/sticks. Maybe some Pepper Jack or extra sharp cheddar cheese on the side

Last edited:
Pb and honey sandwich, jerky or a simple granola bar.

Anything that sounds good to me that morning while packing. I like all sorts of snacks.......Bob

Back in college we used to enjoy Jam Sandwiches and sometimes we'd have a bread sandwich. Those were the days! Sometimes while hunting in late October I still long for those old college sandwiches. Today however, we can usually afford to put some sandwich meat inbetween the bread and call it good.

I am usually too busy shooting Niceshots birds to eat. But I do enjoy snacking on some version of a meat stick or smoked pheasant spread and crackers.

Speaking of cookies I bake some cookies called triple treat cookies. I always have them along when either hunting or fishing.........Bob

Her is the recipe for those that want to try them

-+

Double Treat Cookies

2 cups Flour

2 tsp Baking Soda.

½ tsp salt

1 cup shorting

1 cup sugar

1cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup salted peanuts

12 oz chocolate chips

Bake 350 for 8 minutes

Cream Shorting. Peanut Butter Sugars and Eggs. Cream into a fluffy mixture. Add all dry ingredients, Peanuts and Choc. Chips. Mix well, Roll into small balls and flatten with a fork dipped in sugar.

I make my own summer sausage and take it with cheese and crackers. For a pick me up, it's PB & Jelly for me.

JMc's Summer Sausage Recipe
(Note: play with the seasoning or add what you like; but do not change the Tender Quick Salt)
3lbs. ground beef
2T Mortons Tender Quick Salt
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Oatmeal
2-3 tsp Course Ground Pepper
1 cup Water

Mix well; make into 3 loaves, roll and wrap in foil; refrigerate 24 hours. Remove foil; bake at 325 for one hour.

Last edited:
JMc, That sounds good, quik and easy. I like that.:)

Use up some venison. Think I should add some other meat?

I almost always include M&M peanuts in the pack, a sandwich, apple. Long walks probably double that with a Snicker.

at the beggining of the season we eat holloween candy and beef jerky when the candy is gone we settle for anything we can find

I don't know about Jim when I made it I always added some pork to give it a little fat moisture........Bob

In the field I sometimes carry venison jerky. Back at the truck I usually snack on venison sausage with cheese and crackers. :)

Jerky, sausage, and crackers for me too. I find it interesting that so many off us are packing the same kinds of snacks. For lunch on long trips, I always have some ham sandwiches or PB and J.

There are times I clean the refrigerator of meats, I cut meat loaf, Roast beef, ham summer sausage and sharp cheese. Into bit size pieces and take a tube of Ritz Crackers. I can eat that type stuff while driving to the next spot. I find it strange all you midwest guys and very few mention cheese in their snacks.......Bob

summer sausage colbyjack cheese and ritz crackers dr. pepper and some ding dongs with that kind of menu you cant go wrong :thumbsup:

Back