Favorite Habitat

I hunt milo stubble, wheat stubble, old farm yards and plum thickets, tree rows and ravines. You can keep the CRP as far as I'm concerned, it serves it purpose but I prefer not to hunt it.

being more a quail hunter, back in the old days when ditches were hard to beat, they had cover galore, and on the edge of bean fields, now all you see is a ditch with some fescue and the crops are picked,
crops next to woods.

a big ole crp field reminds me of fishing a big lake, got to hit the differant type of cover, a draw, a point etc.

In my area all we have is stubble fields and CRP. The stubble is rough on the dog. So I stay pretty much to the CRP. If you hunt CRP enough you find the areas the birds like. Like fishing those spots hold up pretty well.---Bob

Last edited:
I'm with Bob, gotta disappear into a big CRP patch and hope I don't see the truck or another human most of the day. Some of my best days were when I limited out as far from the truck as I could get and had to carry a full bag all the way back to the truck while flushing pointed birds hunt-and-release style all the way. The looks I get from the dogs when I do that!!!

PD, So your dog knows how to give that, "Shoot you idiot, what do you think I'm doing here." look. They may not talk but they can sure tell you what in their mind.---Bob

I always look for thick CRP that borders a grain field.

Although, I have killed quite a few birds in dirty milo fields.

In fact, I was just re-reading my hunting journal of a few years ago and remembered killing 10 birds in the same milo patch one year.

Lefty

Mine would have to be a nice hillside with some good shrubs and small brushy bushes if I am looking for quail. If I am looking for pheasant I generally look for crp with crops along its borders.

I will go where ever they are but if its to bad I just send the dogs in and wait to here for the coller to go off and then go in.

Welcome back Oggie! Where ya been?

Just trying to stay busy, My computer has been down but will be up and fixed by next week I hope. The brother thought he knew how to fix and rebuid it and 8 months later. lol. Just glad that its staying cool down here for the most part so we are keeping busy with dog work. If the weather keeps like this for down here the bobs should have a better showing this year.we will see.

Just trying to stay busy, My computer has been down but will be up and fixed by next week I hope. The brother thought he knew how to fix and rebuid it and 8 months later. lol. Just glad that its staying cool down here for the most part so we are keeping busy with dog work. If the weather keeps like this for down here the bobs should have a better showing this year.we will see.

hey ogg-

I got the regional district biologist coming over to farm (west of iola) and see what we can do on the habitat. Trying to qualify for cp38e. Talked to him at length yesterday, guess he's got an office in Mound City and Ft Scott? Do you know him? He said he did a whistle count last week near Uniontown and while it wasn't outstanding, it was better than last year. Baby steps!

hey ogg-

I got the regional district biologist coming over to farm (west of iola) and see what we can do on the habitat. Trying to qualify for cp38e. Talked to him at length yesterday, guess he's got an office in Mound City and Ft Scott? Do you know him? He said he did a whistle count last week near Uniontown and while it wasn't outstanding, it was better than last year. Baby steps!

keeping fingers crosse, Rome was not built over night. Could use a little rain out west to help the big birds.

Back