Favorite Fodder for the shotgun....

hunter94

thought it might be fun to see what others prefer. i shoot a 20 GA. O/U and regardless of the time of year, i use Fioochi Golden Pheasant shells in 3" 1 1/4 oz. of #5's and have found them deadly out to 45 yards.

i usually shoot most birds over a point, but i like to ride them out now days and make the longer shot and as the season gets longer along with the shots, i find i have enough to get the job done.

if i run into a covey, i never shoot on a covey break for 2 reasons:
first, the 5's are just too much and second, i want to see how big the covey is before i start shooting them, plus instead of focusing on the 1 or 2 birds i drop, i focus on where most of the birds scatter so i can hunt the singles more effectively........just my 2 cents and how i hunt pheasants first and quail second....the Fioochi's are just plain deadly.......

Last edited:
ok, i assume your are talking about Bobwhite quail... thats probably just fine. 3" shells are over kill. #5 I think is to large, but i have shot them my self.

I hunt gambels quail, mearns and scaled. WE shoot on covey bust, or you will never see them again. I hunt the southwesterns most, brutal deserts, we have to run after them. They will not hold and its to ugly to run dogs. We enjoy 12 to 15 coveys a day. This year maybe better.

If you dont bust the flush, and can chase singles in your area good for you. my 2 pennys.:)

I think he's talking about 5's for pheasant than switching loads if he busts quail. I like Federal's PF loads and the Golden Pheasant loads in #4 or #5. #5 for first barrel and #4 in second barrel. Will be trying the new Praire Storm on opening day.

Double Species = Double Loads

Now that quail are in high numbers in traditional pheasant areas, I carry two loads. I usually shoot 5s. If a covey flushes, I pull out the 5s and put in 8s. I have shot bobwhites with 5s and it was no problem, just not as tailored to the bird as 8s, imo.

I don't care which upland bird I'm hunting. In all my 20 gauge guns, my first shot will always be straight 7 shot. That stuff does more for me than any other shot. I always follow with a 6 shot.......Bob

Merkel o/u with ic and imod and golden pheasant 2 3/4" #5 or #6. If we are in an area with quail I will load #6's and switch to Rem STS's in 7 1/2 for the singles.

Browning Citori with 6 shot federal PF for both phez and quail. Has worked well for me and I don't have to keep different shot straight in my pockets.

Browning Citori with 6 shot federal PF for both phez and quail. Has worked well for me and I don't have to keep different shot straight in my pockets.

I would agree. No quail in SD, but if there were and I was in an area that contained both quail and pheasant I would opt for #6 shot. I also shoot one size shot, usually #5 all season. I just don't get one size in one barrel and another size in the other. Too much messing around for me. But if it works for others, go for it!

Merkel o/u with ic and imod and golden pheasant 2 3/4" #5 or #6. If we are in an area with quail I will load #6's and switch to Rem STS's in 7 1/2 for the singles.

Ok quit teasing us, show us some pics so we can drool.:D

I shoot a 20 with 6& 5 shot. I will have a new 28ga this year and will probably reload some 7s for it.

Rusty, have you ever tried the 7's before? If not you will pleasently suprised by the performace of those shells. The reload I use is;

Remington Case
Winchester 209 Primer
Longshot Powder 15.9 grains.
Remington PT 28 Wad
3/4 ounce of shot.
Speed 1275.

It is a good hard hitting load and will take pheasants over a pointing dog.........Bob

Last edited:
Bob, what kind of reloader do you use? My new 28ga will be here shortly and I want to reload my own shells. I am looking at the mecs, any info would be great.

Quail Hound, the Merk is nothing special as it is a feild grade gun, no nickle, no ornate scroll or fancy wood. What it does have is 27" brls, solid rib, english stock with cast off, double triggers and case hardened. Found it in the back of a used rack with plenty of dust, gun shop gave me a really good deal.

PheasantnSnow-1.jpg

Still a beautiful gun, plus you don't have to baby it as much.:10sign:

Quail Hound, I have Posness Warren, they are more money than a Mec. But I feel they give you a better reload for Auto's. Mine at least. My son has a 28 Mec and the reloads on it won't cycle in my guns. If you shoot a O/U or SxS a mec is fine. The big difference is a PW will give you a full case resize The Mec's I've seen only do the brass base part. I don't like to progessive reloader, I have never seen a powder bushing that will drop exactly the same amount of powder every time. So I weigh every powder drop so I know what is what. If you only shoot a few hundred shells a week, a single stage will work for you. Every gun I have seen blow-up on the Trap range. 2 guns to be exact came from progessive reloaders. Any good reloader will tell you the first thing you buy is a good scale. Then get a reloader of your choice. For reloading recipes go to the powder makers websites. Like Hodgdon Powders they have a Data Base there you can get some real good recipes. No subsitutions, for example if it calls for a PT 28 wad use that wad. Some guys get by with it. I don't like it because I love being alive and my guns to much. I have been reloading shotshells since the early 1960's so if have a question just ask. A PM or a Email my addy is in my profile. I will answer I enjoy helping.........Bob

Back