Faulkton Nov 1 - 5 - Have spots need dogs

CleanUpShooter

Hi guys. Sure glad I found this place. Use to drop by the other site but it seems to be gone. Luckily I kept digging around - this place looks great!

OK. Here's the story. Our group has hunted the Faulkton area for quite a while now (8+ years?) and have some great spots. We're lucky to have met some very nice farmers and do not have to pay them to hunt there. Other than their family and the occassional hunter stopping by - there is little pressure.

This year we have a problem. Not enough dogs! There are 8 of us and only 2 dogs.

Anybody with some good dogs feel like making a few new friends?

Feel free to email me - jerry@profsearchgroup.com or reply here. We'll be there the first week or November.

We've got places to stay, etc. Just looking to see if there might be someone also hunting the area that maybe would want to join us a day or two. Do you hunt over there?

Hi Jerry,

I live in Aberdeen, SD which is about 60 miles NE of Faulkton. I might be interested in driving down for a day to hunt with you. It would have to be early in the week as I'm headed to Huron on that Thursday or Friday for the Ringneck Festival. What kind of dogs do you have? I have 2 female Brittanys. An experienced 6 year old and a pup that will be a year in November. I just like to work the dogs, you guys can shoot the birds. What type of land is it that you have to hunt? Crop or CRP.

Take care,

George Eberle
"Daktoazeb"

I would like to sign up for a day or two. 6 highly experienced Pudelpointers and 53 years experience hunting in SD. Can vouch for Dakota Zeeb also. I have not been able to get to your e-mail but will try at office.
Buck Blackman 605 360-0144
________
M104 engine

Last edited:
Buck,

Hope to see you in Faulkton. We also have to plan another hunt sometime this fall like we prviously talked about. Maybe mid November would work?

George
"Dakotazeb"

Faulkton

Thanks for the follow up guys. Glad to see you know each other. This should work out great. A bit more detail on our situation:

We are hunting private property which is mostly farm ground. Plenty of shelter belts along with mixed grass/CRP type stuff. We only have 2 labs. Possibly one pointer but she was looking pretty old and slow last year. So you can imagine how we are hoping to meet a few new dog owners!

Since you are pointer guys - depending on the schedule - we can save the pointer cover for a few days with you? Our hunting area is mostly east of Faulkton. Rockham, Miranda, etc. Not too far from Faulkton though.

We'll arrive Saturday night - hunt our dogs a day or two and then hook up with you guys? Does that sound like a plan? We're good folks and have a fun time. Safe in the field always.

A question about the PoodlePointers - are they an all-cover types dog? Or best in grass? I would say half our cover is brush/shelter belt stuff. Just thinking ahead on how to plan the hunts.

What days would be best? Monday/Tuesday? Or Tuesday/Wednesday?

My phone numbers are:
Office: 260-347-1715
Cell: 260-349-2723

Jerry Albright

Jerry,

Monday and/or Tuesday would probably work best for me. If I come down 2 days I'm not sure if I'd stay in Faulkton or drive back to Aberdeen for the night. Do you have room for someone to throw an air mattress and sleeping bag on the floor?

I prefer grass (CRP) land with my dogs but shelter belts are fine. I hate standing corn as there is no way to keep track of the dogs. It looks like another late harvest out here so there is a high proability that there will still be corn in the fields.

I don't mind hunting my Brittanys with Labs or any other non-pointing dogs. They are use to it.

George

Hi George. We're still ironing out who is staying where so our logistics are set just yet. Some of us are staying with one of our farmer hosts and others are staying in our "base camp" in Miranda. It's nothing pretty - but its a place for hunting that's for sure!

I'll keep you posted. I'm glad you're interested and look forward to meeting you in the field!

Jerry

Buck,

Hope to see you in Faulkton. We also have to plan another hunt sometime this fall like we prviously talked about. Maybe mid November would work?

George
"Dakotazeb"
If Nov. would have to be in the area these gentlemen are looking at or the following week. I go west river deer hunting +goose and upland at Shadehill and thought I might catch these guys on the way out. Perhaps you on the way back? Nov. gets a little hectic, but Dec. is wide open.
________
Herbalaire

Last edited:
Pudelpointers are good in all types of terrain. I even have one who behaves well in corn. I just cut him loose at the end. Out standing in the heavy stuff cause that's what I hunt a lot. Use a beeper when necessary. I do not need to shoot either, just ask that the dog and I don't! They generally work a little closer than most pointing dogs, but leave no stone unturned.
I was up in the Orient area recently (south of Faulkton) in the hills and the corn was well advanced and could get out normally, but there will definitely be corn standing most areas. Cover is thick this year.
________
FORD LANDAU HISTORY

Last edited:
PudelPointer

Uncle Buck,

How do you like the Pudel Pointer?

Last two years I've hunted over a lab/poodle mix. Great dog! Good nose. I don't see myself owning another lab or shorthair. Nice to have a dog that WANTS to cooperate. Unfortunatley, this dog will hold a point for about 5seconds. That is the one thing I miss about the shorthairs. This guy weighs about 90#, 10-20 less would be good

Where did you get your dogs? What's the going rate?

thanks,

Wetfoot

I have had Pudelpointers for 22years and have dogs from many sources. The genetic pool is not large and quality breeders really watch things. I have Featherfoot, Cedarwood, Birchwood, Winterhelle, Pineridge and imports in my line.
Pups sell for $1,000 up to $1,200 depending on the breeder. The breed is 150 years old, most Europeon bogs being German or Czech. They have the highest average test scores in NAVHDA. My 2008 litter, 5 pups tested, averaged 111 out of 112 perfect score. I have pups available now out of the same breeding. I had a 3 month old pup pointing wild sharptails Sat. My two year old dog was honoring the pup from 75 yards away. The birds flushed too far out as th pup was down in a draw on my left and Axel was straight ahead on the ridge overlooking the draw. 4 puppies went down the draw, but the one stayed and I had not noticed he was still down there. Great moment.
These dogs are natural retrievers and love the water.
________
300SEL 6.3

Last edited:
Hi Dakotazeb and Uncle Buck. I've been off the site for a while - but getting back here to dig back into hunting plans.

We're all set to be in Miranda/Rockham (as you know - SE of Faulkton just a few miles) and hunting Nov.1,2,3,4 and 5.

My office number is 260-347-1715 and cell phone is 260-349-2723. Hopefully you guys are still open to coming down for a fun hunt. We've not added any new dogs to our pack - so it's still just the 2 labs!

I was talking to my group and we're looking forward to meeting you guys and checking out your dogs. None of us have seen a PudlePointer!

Jerry,

Did you get the email I sent you? I never heard back. I still plan to be there for 1-2 days, most likely on Monday and Tuesday when Buck is there. I'll know better next week what days will work the best for me.

My cell is 605-216-5646

"Dakotazeb"
George Eberle
Aberdeen, SD

Still on track

DakotaZeb and Uncle Buck - We'll be there. I've got both your numbers. I'll call you both toward the end of this week. My cell phone is 260-349-2723. I hope they're getting that corn out!

Back