False Point/ Backing

My male backs naturally. Female false points often. Even at a distance, he knows when its a false point, takes little intrest. When its the real deal, ears go up, slow, steady movement into backing position. Now I know his nose isn't that good, any insite on this one? Also, any tips on breaking the false point?

Do you see a marked difference in the false point vs the real deal from your female? If you can notice than it's easy for your male to notice. I don't work to hard on breaking false points. Most of my GSP's false points are good indicators that a bird or birds were there or near; they usually lead to a solid find. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get some advice.

First thing that comes to mind on a dog that false points often is it is either a young dog or it is a very very cautious dog. A lot of dogs are like us and dont want to make a mistake.Time will clean that up.
A dog that backs shouldnt be backing scent. He should be backing because of the actions of the other dog. If he is roading in, he is more then likly on the same scent as the female.
Cure would be training him to back.

Not sure if I explained it right. A good test to see if a dog is truly backing another dog is to set it up to where the backing dog encounters the pointing dog from the side or front.

Explaiing stuff on the net is tough.

First question, how old are your dogs? That could explain a lot.

I am somewhat confused. I seriously doubt that your male knows when it's a false point if he is truly backing. A good backing dog should stop and honor the other dog immediately upon seeing the other dog stop and/or point. It should not be slowly moving into a backing position. My dog will stop instantly when it sees the other dog has stopped. Doesn't matter if the other dog is taking a crap. She stops and backs.

A little history: We got the female on 3/3/13, she was 2+ years old. Treated her as a puppy in the fact she had probably never been in a field a day in her life. THe male I got as a 5 month old pup and he's not bad, very easy to train, good nose, good instincts. So the false points are sight points on what I call twetty birds. Any birds in the field, and possibly a rabbit. The male is constantly keeping eye on her, and I mean constant. Now when she sight points/false points, he pays little attention. Sometimes her false points are very nice, solid points. Sometimes I can tell, sometimes not. I know where the planted birds are, but there could be birds left from the day before. Last night she held a false for over 3 minutes. Most of the time he keeps on his route, sometimes he'll run right thru her area without hesitation. But 95% of the time, if not more, when she is on a quail, he knows it and honors.

A little history: We got the female on 3/3/13, she was 2+ years old. Treated her as a puppy in the fact she had probably never been in a field a day in her life. THe male I got as a 5 month old pup and he's not bad, very easy to train, good nose, good instincts. So the false points are sight points on what I call twetty birds. Any birds in the field, and possibly a rabbit. The male is constantly keeping eye on her, and I mean constant. Now when she sight points/false points, he pays little attention. Sometimes her false points are very nice, solid points. Sometimes I can tell, sometimes not. I know where the planted birds are, but there could be birds left from the day before. Last night she held a false for over 3 minutes. Most of the time he keeps on his route, sometimes he'll run right thru her area without hesitation. But 95% of the time, if not more, when she is on a quail, he knows it and honors.

Dogs are three yrs old, it confuses me also, and thanks for the thought and reply. I'll study more tonite and report back.

I've had the same thing when I had two dogs. It was always the older dog that knew the young dog wasn't really on a bird. I guess they can tell better than we can when it's a real point and when it's something other than game.

As they got older the younger dogs get better and don't bother with the false points as often. They learn when there is and isn't a real bird in the area.

My male backs naturally. Female false points often. Even at a distance, he knows when its a false point, takes little intrest. When its the real deal, ears go up, slow, steady movement into backing position. Now I know his nose isn't that good, any insite on this one? Also, any tips on breaking the false point?

I think the male is in the process of teaching her and she will likely self-correct if they keep hunting together.

Last edited:
She is basically a pup. Its going to happen for a while.
Hunting them alone might be good do to a fair amount of the time.

Back