Extended season?

reddog

Will the extended season be a factor this year? For me, I'm thinking it will not be. Your thoughts ?

Thinking about the possibility...last hunt wasn't that productive, but perhaps conditions are different?

Meaning will I hunt? Yessir. I've hunted 28 times so far & hope to make it 36. Trouble is, in the areas I hunt, public land birds are waking with (or before) the sun & walking. Walking & walking & walking. They walk off public land, eat breakfast, & walk somewhere on the wrong side of the fence that they can safely while away the day. And they walk. And walk & walk. Until suppertime, when they walk back toward the public land to roost. All the while, walking & somehow staying hidden for the most part. Hopefully, a few walk themselves back to the right side of the fence before sunset. And hopefully I'm able to choose which tiny portion of the big slough they're in. And hopefully Ace & I play our cards right. Ace is...well...an Ace. He'll hold up his end of the bargain. I'm the wildcard. If....we can trick a rooster into the game in the first place.

You guys are lucky they extended the season all month. Wish they would extend ours in MN here for another week or so and move the opener back further into October. It was like 80 degrees on opener this past season. BARF

Thinking about heading to SD myself next week. Considering Chamberlain or Pierre areas. Approx. how much snow is on the ground currently?

I just got back yesterday. Vest weather rather than a jacket. Five beautiful days. Only snow is on the north side of sloughs. You find cattails and
harvested corn you will find birds.

I could look this up, but.... you guys are all knowing. Does SD still have a deal that if you buy your license XX days before the season closes you get your second 5 day hunt forwarded to next fall?

My son and I traveled from WI to SD on New Year’s Eve and hunted 1/1 thru 1/3. Started north of 90 and east of Missouri River. Hunted East each day and stayed in a new town each night. Figured that by doing that we would be able to hunt later on last day due to shorter drive home. Hunting was excellent. After learning that you couldn’t get close to birds with only 2 guys and 1 lab in fields or shelter belts we hunted strictly cattails. Had an absolute blast. Hunted only public and never saw another hunter in the 3 days we hunted. Worked incredibly hard slugging through deep snow in ditches and edge of marsh but once we got into the cattails it wasn’t to bad. My advice is to slow down and stop often, it seemed to unnerve the birds that were holding tight into flushing in easy range. Walked many many miles each day and killed limits if we wanted to but that wasn’t really my goal. I wanted my son to kill a few so I let many easy shots go in hopes they would offer him a shot. Ended the trip with 11 roosters and one hell of a lot of incredible memories. Found a small chunk of land for sale that I will be putting a offer in on so I can eventually retire in this state. This is my first post on this site and I wanted to thank everyone who posted on here for the help and advice you provided. Take care everyone.

I could look this up, but.... you guys are all knowing. Does SD still have a deal that if you buy your license XX days before the season closes you get your second 5 day hunt forwarded to next fall?
They do yes. Anytime you buy a license after 12/15, you can have your second 5 day period in the next season.

I did that when I went before Christmas. Always put your second 5 days to end on 12/31 of the following year. You can move your dates up but you can't push them back.

Back