Extended season?

The SD Game and Fish website doesn't really say that I can find. But this page from UGuide states it's still a thing. I always push my dates out to the end of the next year just to be safe until SD clearly says otherwise.

I just bought a license about ten days ago, and put my 2nd 5 days out to the opener for 2021; I think I could push it further into the 2021 season...pretty sure I’ve done that before...as always, could be wrong...

I just bought a license about ten days ago, and put my 2nd 5 days out to the opener for 2021; I think I could push it further into the 2021 season...pretty sure I’ve done that before...as always, could be wrong...
Yeah im not sure. I've never pushed days out before as I always push the last 5 days to the end of the following season and bump them up since that's what I've always read.

as long as you're not trying to start your license on a date that has already occurred, I can't see why it would matter to GFP....lots of games get played with license start dates, but what we're talking about here is pretty benign, I think...

When I buy my license over the counter. They always ask me if I want to put the last five on the last 5 days of December. They say you can always move them back you can't move them forward. I have no proof of what they say is true. I've never tried to move them forward.

When I buy my license over the counter. They always ask me if I want to put the last five on the last 5 days of December. They say you can always move them back you can't move them forward. I have no proof of what they say is true. I've never tried to move them forward.
That's exactly what I've been told and read online as well. I agree with Benelli that it's a benign law but I won't take my chances until GFPs website tells me otherwise.

My son and I traveled from WI to SD on New Year’s Eve and hunted 1/1 thru 1/3. Started north of 90 and east of Missouri River. Hunted East each day and stayed in a new town each night. Figured that by doing that we would be able to hunt later on last day due to shorter drive home. Hunting was excellent. After learning that you couldn’t get close to birds with only 2 guys and 1 lab in fields or shelter belts we hunted strictly cattails. Had an absolute blast. Hunted only public and never saw another hunter in the 3 days we hunted. Worked incredibly hard slugging through deep snow in ditches and edge of marsh but once we got into the cattails it wasn’t to bad. My advice is to slow down and stop often, it seemed to unnerve the birds that were holding tight into flushing in easy range. Walked many many miles each day and killed limits if we wanted to but that wasn’t really my goal. I wanted my son to kill a few so I let many easy shots go in hopes they would offer him a shot. Ended the trip with 11 roosters and one hell of a lot of incredible memories. Found a small chunk of land for sale that I will be putting a offer in on so I can eventually retire in this state. This is my first post on this site and I wanted to thank everyone who posted on here for the help and advice you provided. Take care everyone.
Good luck with your offer. We moved from Iowa to SD in Nov. Loving it. Life's kind of in the way right now because of the move and building a new shop and home. I've hunted less this year as a resident than any of the last 10 years as a non. Keep us informed of your progress!

You can set your second set of days to the last 5 days of the season next year. Whether it ends on Jan 10th, or the 31st 2022 hasn't been determined yet. :)

I just went in to change my dates...it would have allowed me to go out all the way to 1/31/22....I think the 1/31 end date is assumed/proclaimed going forward. The system allows your dates to be changed to any date, provided it hasn’t already come and gone...no reason that it would only be allowed to move up. But I understand why the default option is to put the 2nd 5 days to the very end, it is safer to do that,

Im am headed back to S. Dakota for the last 5 days on my license. This is my first year pheasant hunting and have a new dog that is 1 yr old. I got skunked the first trip out, but did some training and practice on a game farm after that. Any tips or areas to try? I hunted the Aberdeen and Webster areas on the walk in public access land. I found that putting in time scouting I saw a lot more birds.

Buy the OnX Hunt app for you phone. If you see a good spot where you see birds, but its not public, you can find the farmer who owns it. Being the last part of the season, you will have success gaining permission. Its an very valuable tool for hunting. Then when you get home send him a thank you note along with some food gift.

Buy the OnX Hunt app for you phone. If you see a good spot where you see birds, but its not public, you can find the farmer who owns it. Being the last part of the season, you will have success gaining permission. Its an very valuable tool for hunting. Then when you get home send him a thank you note along with some food gift.
Yeah, leave some pbr,

I will still try and get out at least once on the weekends but at this point I’ve been skunked two trips in a row and im going more just to get the dog exercise and get out of the house. I see big groups of roosters bunched up on private land but the public land I hit last weekend I didn’t find a single track. Hunted WPAs and WIAs. Blessed to have weather this mellow in January though!

yup, birds move to areas where they are not pressured, you got to catch them moving around and in good cover to get them to hold.

Back