Excercise during the Winter

Dakotazeb

I was wondering what you guys do to get your dog exercise when we have had the weather conditions like we have the past 2 weeks. The snow in most areas is just to much to handle. I was able to get out behind my house in a picked corn field and let the dogs run but now we have another 7.5 inches of snow so that might not work anymore. In addition, with the temps we are having it's too darm cold. Air temp right now is -7 and the wind chill is -30. Air temp tonight is suppose to be -30. But even when it warms up the snow is going to make it tough or impossible to get the dogs out. I know there are those of you that "road" your dogs but I don't care to do that.

I was wondering what you guys do to get your dog exercise when we have had the weather conditions like we have the past 2 weeks. The snow in most areas is just to much to handle. I was able to get out behind my house in a picked corn field and let the dogs run but now we have another 7.5 inches of snow so that might not work anymore. In addition, with the temps we are having it's too darm cold. Air temp right now is -7 and the wind chill is -30. Air temp tonight is suppose to be -30. But even when it warms up the snow is going to make it tough or impossible to get the dogs out. I know there are those of you that "road" your dogs but I don't care to do that.

I plowed out the whole front area, about an acre along with most of the yard. I can plant some birds in fake cover I made with straw and fake xmas tree branches they can get some retrieves. I run the dogs on place boards, and work on controll running them around barrels. It is fun for them and the get plenty of running this way. It also is great yard work for getting them to respond to turn whistles, steadiness, and hand dirrection. Simmilar to barrel racing for horses but different.

We have a park or athletic complex within a couple miles and there are many walking paths that meander through the woods that are kept plowed, so I just take them for a run on those. Not many people using them this time of year so we have them all to ourselves. A good half hour is normally all that is needed.

Have you tried uploading your vid to Photobucket? I've never tried to post a link to a vid, but I know others who have used Photobucket to host their videos then post the link to there.

Have you tried uploading your vid to Photobucket? I've never tried to post a link to a vid, but I know others who have used Photobucket to host their videos then post the link to there.
Yes I did, but I used the same format that you showed me for pics., it came up, but when some one clicked on it it went to your Photobucket account and gave anyone the ability to edit or delete anything in your album. That could be an issue. There is a way i spose but haven't looked in to it yet.

Fortunately I live on the edge of town and have a corn field that is about half to 3/4 of a section almost out my door. Mixed in the field are a couple of tree belts and 2 or 3 small cattail sloughs. With all the snow it's tough to get around but now the snomobiles have made a bunch of tracks so the walking is a little easier when you can follow them. The dogs get some really good exercise running through the snow and busting drifts. I take them out there for about an hour 3 times a week. Also helps me try and shed the 5 lbs. I packed on over the holidays. Today we put up 8 roosters.

Fortunately I live on the edge of town and have a corn field that is about half to 3/4 of a section almost out my door. Mixed in the field are a couple of tree belts and 2 or 3 small cattail sloughs. With all the snow it's tough to get around but now the snomobiles have made a bunch of tracks so the walking is a little easier when you can follow them. The dogs get some really good exercise running through the snow and busting drifts. I take them out there for about an hour 3 times a week. Also helps me try and shed the 5 lbs. I packed on over the holidays. Today we put up 8 roosters.

Sweet, We only have snow half way to the knees, so we are starting our useual training out in the field now that hunting is over. We only have around 8" of powder so we can run like normal for the most part. So basicly we just keep hunting. Training permit is free in MN. You can put your birds out and have at. + the yard work stuff.

Still no luck. With the vid. BS you can send in for a free training permit to use live birds and amo, Pheasants. you need one if you do. but they give em out right away and like I said free.

Last edited:
Both, but you cannot use pheasants on ST. land. Only pigeons or chuckers I think. Federal WPA's you can't get a permit for. We found some great private land to use all year with water. It works well for us. when done running the dogs can cool off in the nice clear water. You can get it on line or if you PM me your email I can send it off my desk top. You can get the township, range, and section off any local plat book.

Around here there are plenty of frozen lakes, and the snow isn't very deep on them. I usually take my dog to the lake and let her run around. When it is too cold out to do that I run her on a treadmill.

Sorry - not much of a vid - but that's what I do every chance I get! A few hours of that puts the dog to bed for a while! Was out again this morning for another "18-holes" (when there's not enough snow in the woods - I ski on a golf course outside of Halifax). Other than that, walking the dog, snowshoeing and commuting to work on my bike (10 km each way) and going to the gym (weights and cardio).
-Croc

Back