Entry Level O/U $600 to 700 or less

shorthairs,

I have a Mossberg Silver reserve II, I live in Peweauke, Feel free to come over and borrow it, anytime, see what you think. I think I paid 600 for it last year. Send me a PM if interested.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...rg-upgrades-their-silver-reserve-scatterguns/

Sweet offer...

I would agree with troutman on the CZ's. While I have no experience first hand with them, my hunting partner shoots (2) CZ rifles and has enjoyed them and had no issues with them. He has had them for a number of years now too.

Updated my Price range

So I've decided to up my price range slightly and have it narrowed down to a new CZ Redhead Deluxe 20ga ($899) or I can get a used Ruger Red Label 20ga for $950. I'm getting pics of the Ruger tonight but it is claimed to be in good to excellent condition (this gun is local).

Any thoughts?

There's an interesting V bernadelli on gunbroker with no bids starting at $860. Don't know if you like shorter barrels, this is 25". If it was English stock I would have been tempted.

Shorthair, look at www.armslist.com good site for new and used guns. There are other sites on line that have a variety of new and used guns. Guns are like dogs or vehicles everyone has there favorites and opinions why they like a particular manufacturer. Bottom line is find something you like within your budget and that you feel comfortable shooting. I've been luckiy enough to shoot some very high quality competition shotguns and they didn't break targets any different then my 870 trap gun or 1100 skeet gun. Did they look nice hell yeah, but not worth the 5-6 figure asking price in my opinion they are more of a work of art and extreme craftsmanship. Just my .02

The Ruger Red Label is a great gun. I have one in 20g and love it! Not that The CZ is bad.....I've looked at and held them and they seem like a decent gun for the money but I would take the Red Label if it is in good shape.

If I decide to go with the CZ, I will use this to negotiate the $80 difference and thanks.

I'm really leaning towards the Ruger if it's in good shape just because of the great warranty and backing of the Ruger products.

The Ruger is a well built firearm. I hope it fits you well and hopefully you will get to shoot it before you buy it. Here's a little test for you to do with any shotgun you buy;

First, place the butt of the gun in the inside bend of your elbow and your hand on the grip. If the grip fits nicely in your hand the LENGTH OF PULL is right for you. It will be obvious if the LOP is too short or too long.

Second, hold your gun at hip level, close your eyes and mount the gun. Open your eyes and hopefully you should be lined up looking directly down the rib centering the front bead. You don't have to be perfect, just as long as your close.

The Ruger is a well built firearm. I hope it fits you well and hopefully you will get to shoot it before you buy it. Here's a little test for you to do with any shotgun you buy;

First, place the butt of the gun in the inside bend of your elbow and your hand on the grip. If the grip fits nicely in your hand the LENGTH OF PULL is right for you. It will be obvious if the LOP is too short or too long.

Second, hold your gun at hip level, close your eyes and mount the gun. Open your eyes and hopefully you should be lined up looking directly down the rib centering the front bead. You don't have to be perfect, just as long as your close.

This is awesome! Thank you. I will get to see the Ruger first and even shoot it if I prefer. The CZ is not in stock but I could go elsewhere to shoulder one. The canvasback seemed nice when I held it so I would think the red head would be similar but maybe not.

Most lines are similar fit. At least for me. CZ all fit nice. All fair shotguns including my cortona. All Cesars etc. 0 brownings fit. o beretta's fit. That's me. People are different. Plus 2 on the way he just described fit. That's all you need. I like the look of the CZ upland ultra light. My woodcock deluxe as said just got heavy. Good gun, just a tank for my age. Think about that. Hold it up and walk around for a few minutes. You will carry it for hrs remember. The ultra light I never saw, in fact not sure but I don't believe that was made back then. About 5 years ago. My taste also like the rifle stocks better then the English stock. But both shot very well. I don't shoot any better with my cortona then I did with that CZ. Don't believe the BS about baretta, browning etc. go with fit. That's the most important. That CZ does not get too hefty for me, I'm still shooting it instead of my 3,000$ gun.;) I see many guns at field trials and training. We all have to have break open guns. Trust me, browning and bareta have paaaaalenty of trouble. 2 days ago carls, my partners was not firing, like the 5th time that happened. Another friend his stock blew up. Seen them all fail. My cortona had a part fall off one time. CZ is very nice quality for that money...

Last edited:
Keep us posted shorthairs....I really want to shoulder a red label as well, so I would be interested to see how you like it.

I handled a CZ canvasback last weekend and liked the feel of the gun. It was a 12ga and had 28" barrels so it was heavier. Would like to handle a 20ga though...

A training partner also has a red label. It goes bang every time. The only issue I have seen and both I see training have the same exact issue. They both got loose. Meaning when you open it it flops around loose, freely. No big deal just gotta watch you don't pinch your finger. Not side to side, just open and close. Where the break opens should be a little sticky or snug rather. Otherwise I have not seen any of them guys have other issues. They started snug, but it did not take long to be loose. Can be snugged up again I believe.

A training partner also has a red label. It goes bang every time. The only issue I have seen and both I see training have the same exact issue. They both got loose. Meaning when you open it it flops around loose, freely. No big deal just gotta watch you don't pinch your finger. Not side to side, just open and close. Where the break opens should be a little sticky or snug rather. Otherwise I have not seen any of them guys have other issues. They started snug, but it did not take long to be loose. Can be snugged up again I believe.

My buddy has both a 12 and a 20 red label and both of there actions were very loose, it didn't seem to bother him much but for my taste just to loose and clunky. Red labels are great guns but I prefer a tighter action.

Yes the description of fit was a very good and as FC has stated fit is the most important aspect, the name on the gun is secondary least in my opinion.

I am with most on this. Get what fits and shoots for you. I own one of the B guns and love it. I have handled a few of the CZ's and some friends have some and they are very good in my opinion. The one thing I also try and do when purchasing a new gun is look at the resale value just in case for some reason I need to sell it. Best of luck and good shooting..:thumbsup:

I have a 20ga Cz Redhead deluxe and while I love it and shoot it very well it is too heavy for a 20 imo. Great gun, just hefty. The wood is nice for how much I paid for it, not that it matters because I fell and put a huge gouge in the stock the first time I took it out to hunt mountain quail. Never had to worry about keeping it pretty after that though.:thumbsup: I've shot it for 6 seasons now and never had a problem though my ejectors weren't kicking out shells in SD this winter but that was due to neglect not malfunction.

Get what suits you and what you like, I'm just giving you my first hand experience with the Cz in question.:cheers:

I have a 20ga Cz Redhead deluxe and while I love it and shoot it very well it is too heavy for a 20 imo. Great gun, just hefty. The wood is nice for how much I paid for it, not that it matters because I fell and put a huge gouge in the stock the first time I took it out to hunt mountain quail. Never had to worry about keeping it pretty after that though.:thumbsup: I've shot it for 6 seasons now and never had a problem though my ejectors weren't kicking out shells in SD this winter but that was due to neglect not malfunction.

Get what suits you and what you like, I'm just giving you my first hand experience with the Cz in question.:cheers:

:thumbsup: Pretty much mirror's my experience to a t. That was as said my only gripe as well. Weight. OU or break open doubles are heavier any way. So yes it can be a deciding factor. I seriously need to go check out that ultra light uplander CZ. If its as good as my other one with less weight, I will snap one up for a second gun. Maybe, just maybe, trade off my spendy p shooter for some other guns. But for now I'm good. It fits and shoots as if its a part of me.:D I 100% guarantee you though, that if I find the same for 2 grand less? Its gone LOL. I will buy some other fire crackers with the doe.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Pretty much mirror's my experience to a t. That was as said my only gripe as well. Weight. OH or break open doubles are heavier any way. So yes it can be a deciding factor. I seriously need to go check out that ultra light uplander CZ. If its as good as my other one with less weight, I will snap one up for a second gun. Maybe, just maybe, trade off my spendy p shooter for some other guns. But for now I'm good. It fits and shoots as if its a part of me.:D I 100% guarantee you though, that if I find the same for 2 grand less? Its gone LOL. I will buy some other fire crackers with the doe.

I'm looking at trading in my 1187 premier to offset some of the cost. Bought it used put 100 rounds through and never really felt good to me.
So I will definitely be looking for the right fit in this gun. If I can find something that feels as good as my Monte when I shoulder it, I will be in heaven.

FCS,
We gave away a CZ Upland Ultralight 12GA at our Denver Pheasant Forever banquet last March. I got a chance to shoot it with the winner at a novice training event we put on. I like a light 12GA O/U for Colorado pheasant hunting--lots of walking, not much shooting. The CZ Upland Ultralight is a great value, it happened to fit me well and I shot it well. I would buy one if I had not bought a 6lb 4oz Lanber 12GA O/U 2 years ago for $700 at Cabelas. After getting it and trying it out, I sold my Browning Cynergy Feather Composite 12GA O/U.
POL

Back