Entry Level O/U $600 to 700 or less

Finalized Purchase

So my son and I both loved the Ruger. Very happy with the purchase.
If anyone has an Improved cylinder choke tube for a red label let me know.
I know I can buy a new one from Ruger but if there's a cheaper used one out there, I'd be interested.

For the Ruger lovers, they announced last week they were discontinuing the red label again. Buy it now if you want it.

Congrats and not making them just makes them more valued!!!:thumbsup:

Looked up the serial number last night and the gun is a 1999 model. Very impressed how the gun looks for being 16 years old. Since one of the choke tubes was missing I was able to get the gun for $900.
With the production being ceased I'm sure I won't have any trouble getting my money back if I ever decide to sell it.

Entry level O/U $600 to $700

Recently I just went through the process of looking for a new O/U. After looking at many I settled on the Franchi Instinct L. It was priced at $900. I looked at all of the ones in your price range and they just never felt right. I know it is a little above what you wanted to pay but you should go and just have your son pick one up. For me the fit was just so comfortable I knew it was the right gun for me the second I picked it up. It is light weight and the balance and feel was perfect for me. If you want to look at one try Scheel's they are Franci dealers.

The Stevens 555 was a gun I considered but I carry a 20 gauge and it only comes in a 26 " barrel length I really wanted a 28" barrel.

Recently I just went through the process of looking for a new O/U. After looking at many I settled on the Franchi Instinct L. It was priced at $900. I looked at all of the ones in your price range and they just never felt right. I know it is a little above what you wanted to pay but you should go and just have your son pick one up. For me the fit was just so comfortable I knew it was the right gun for me the second I picked it up. It is light weight and the balance and feel was perfect for me. If you want to look at one try Scheel's they are Franci dealers.

The Stevens 555 was a gun I considered but I carry a 20 gauge and it only comes in a 26 " barrel length I really wanted a 28" barrel.

That a pretty good deal on the Instinct...at least in my neck of the woods. I been eye balling one as well but they asking around $1300 for it. It may be the SL model though...what is the difference?

And I am seriously considering a Stevens 555 right now. I held the gun and it fits me great and draws up great. I can get it brand new with 5 chokes for $500.

My dad shoots the Franchi Instinct SL. Awesome gun. That gun was on my short list but it was more money and one day (hopefully not anytime soon) I will inherit that gun. If you like the gun I wouldn't let the shorter barrel detour you. You can drop birds from a pretty good distance with that 26" barrel.

The only reason I didn't want the shorter barrel is because i was afraid that I would swing faster and possibly through the bird since I am used to a longer barrel. The Instinct L is a few hundred cheaper than the Instinct SL. The receiver is kind of a dark bronze color not the silver like the SL and the L doesn't have the extended choke tubes which I personally do not lie anyway. Thanks for the reply.

The instinct L is a cheaper version of the SL. It has a dark brushed bronze color receiver and doesn't have the extended choke tubes which I didn't like anyway. I purchased it in SC MN from a private gun shop. I thought the $900 price tag was reasonable. They wanted $1250 for the SL. Well it is a field gun so I didn't feel like I needed the bells and whistles. Thanks for responding.

The only reason I didn't want the shorter barrel is because i was afraid that I would swing faster and possibly through the bird since I am used to a longer barrel. The Instinct L is a few hundred cheaper than the Instinct SL. The receiver is kind of a dark bronze color not the silver like the SL and the L doesn't have the extended choke tubes which I personally do not lie anyway. Thanks for the reply.

I'm with you on the extended choke tubes. Not a really big fan. Shot a Beretta Onyx that a friend let me borrow on a trip to Kansas that had them and I shot pretty well. Just something about it aesthetically for me.

I'm with you on the extended choke tubes. Not a really big fan. Shot a Beretta Onyx that a friend let me borrow on a trip to Kansas that had them and I shot pretty well. Just something about it aesthetically for me.

Currently that is the only thing that has me on reserve about the gun now. I really like it and it feels great, but those extended chokes really aint the prettiest to me. If I am going to spend that much on a gun I would like it to look somewhat pretty. To me, they just seem out of place.

My local gun shop called me yesterday to inform me they got another batch of ATI Calvary's in. I have only held the .410 but man it felt good. Nick Sisley had a positive review on the gun in a recent RGS magazine, and all my gun nut buddies also like the gun. A lot of reviews compare it to the Yildiz. I plan to go check it out this afternoon.

Update...

A few months ago myself and some others were looking for inexpensive, entry level O/U shotguns. I ended up closing the deal on an ATI Calvary and so far I love it.

It was a little stiff for my liking when I first got it, but even after just a box of shells down the tubes it is much better. The first time I shot it, I took it on a preserve quail hunt with me. I ended up 2 for 2 with it with one nice crossing shot around 40 yards.

Shot it again yesterday. My buddy and I were just hand throwing clays into the woods on my property. On the very first throw, my buddy slings a clay and it takes off about 25 foot to the left of where I thought it was heading. Somehow it weaved right through the trees until at about 40-45 yards I picked it off in an opening. I have been amazed by the distance of some of the shots. I am new to the 20 ga and to the O/U game so it will take some time getting used to it, but so far I have been impressed.

I believe I got the gun for ~$450. I didn't think I would stand a chance shooting doves with it, but I can't wait for sept now

Back