ended the season on a high note!

kscountryboy11

so this year was me and year old black labs first season together. it was a long one. she didnt start out very good, walkin right behind me, didnt want to retrieve half of the time. things starting looking better here in january. so decided to take her out here close to home for one last quail hunt here in NE ks, and she was spectacular! flushed 2 coveys with good numbers in each of them. the first covey she flushed outta a thicket, and i wasnt paying no attention and didnt even get a shot. second covey i dropped one and she made a very good retrieve for me. kicked up 2 more singles and retrieved both for me. she worked really good and hunted hard. i felt like everything finally came together and she really understands what shes doing now. 3 NE ks quail on a nasty day and my year old lab did a spectacular job, felt like a great way to end the season.

i will upload pics here shortly. :D

Sounds like a great way to end the year, and on a high note for your pup!

The sun is setting on another season...

Congrats it does feel really good to finish off the season on high note with the dog.

yes it does! especially when its been so frustrating the first 3/4 of the season with her. but shes really came along way throughout the season

Mine is still a pup but the beginning of the season she was great. The middle has been horrible she would just seem like she was out there to run around. But I think that was my fault for not being able to take her out that much. But these last two weekends she has been great again. I know she is a pup so I just enjoy the walk when the hunting is not great.:rolleyes: But when she is on I would not trade her for anything.:D

well heres a few pics.. pup didnt wanna stop hunting so she missed out on the photo's. oh well...hope u enjoy :thumbsup:

Country Boy,

What kind of shotgun is that you're shooting?

12 guage over/under Pioneer made by felix sarasqueta. cheap spanish made gun. kicks like a mule. i dont usually shoot it but i decided to take it out that day

hunting quail with a lab

I thought I was the only one who hunted quail with a lab.
I assume your pup is not a pointing lab. My hound does really well and hunts hard once we get into birds. He is nails on singles...and I seldom, if ever lose a bird...if I manage to knock one down he will find it...regardless of how tough the cover is!:)

I thought I was the only one who hunted quail with a lab.
I assume your pup is not a pointing lab. My hound does really well and hunts hard once we get into birds. He is nails on singles...and I seldom, if ever lose a bird...if I manage to knock one down he will find it...regardless of how tough the cover is!:)

nope ur not the only one! mine half lab half who knows what.. got here for free. she'll hunt tho, its just took alot of time and work but shes gettin better everytime out. i wouldnt of found 2 of the birds if she wasnt with me, i was off pretty good of where i thought they were.

Back