Eckman Hunt

Pointer Man

Although the season ended I still had an itch to take down a few more pheasant and quail before the long spring and summer months rolled in. Myself along with a couple buddies headed to Baldwin City to hunt some preserve birds this past weekend. We had a great time and the dogs loved it. The dogs had it a lot easier at the preserve than trying to find late season pheasant out west. Eckman Hunting Preserve will be open for a few more weekends and if anyone is still looking to shoot a few more birds and get the dogs some more work I would highly recommend them. I hope everyone had a great 09-10 season.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I too have the itch! I've set up a hunt for wednesday morning at another place in the center of the state. I'll be using the excuse that the dog is getting restless and needs to find some birds :D. I've never hunted a preserve before but I'll let you all know how it goes.

I do the same thing. I know it is a little easier for the dogs but they still enjoy it as well as myself. It just helps extend the season and helps keep the dogs in shape. My only concern when I go to these places is that there are strong flying birds. The one place I always get strong birds is Baiers Den Kennels in Peculiar Missouri. It is pretty much on the Missouri Kansas line just south of Kansas City. Have a good off season and let me know what you think of them if you try them out. I would also take any more recomendations you guys may have. Like I said my only thing is that the birds must be strong fliers especially quail, which is what I prefer to shoot at preserves.

Last edited:
I went to Quail Creek in Prescott KS last week. What a lot of fun that was, I don't know who enjoyed it more, the dog or me. It's true that there is a difference in flight quality of the birds, but it's great work for my young Brittany!

You guys are very lucky down there. I'd love to get out and hunt a preserve or two. Especially before my first field trial the end of this month, but the snow up here in South Dakota is so deep it makes it impossible. I've been unable to get into the field since Christmas due to the snow. Thankfully there are some snomobile trails I can run the dogs on or I don't know how I'd get them any exercise.

I never thought I would here someone from South Dakota say we are lucky....at least when it comes to pheasant hunting.:cheers:

Back